What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
attachment.php

Thank you Dale Ch. for this photo of the sewer pipe on I297 today.

Ari.

WOW that is a great shot. The terrain is insane and then you have plumbing bits sparkling up. Niiiiiiiiiice

On an impulse whim picked up these to be passengers in that. Looked like they'd be narrow enough to fit in clear tube section which is payload bay.

Inspiration, begets inspiration. I've a niece who eats, sleeps, and breathes, Hello Kitty and I can see a Hello Kitty space mission in the works.:grin:

Painting a Estes Photon Probe,a micro max Big Honkin Rocket,and sanding primer on a Estes Mosquito . Too windy to launch.

Began adding roll patterns to this. In retrospect, I wish I had gone with my original idea of painting the lower quarter or half the same color as the main tank of the shuttle, but, I think if I add roll patterns down there it will look kinda neat. It'll be fiddly the outboard boosters.
Thor Paint 4.jpg

Saw Robert Belknap and his family, and Ari and Leah. The high point of the day was getting a high five...well, a low five, from Leah.

Awww Kit... I'll let her know when I see her!

I love your baseball cap!

Ari.

I was there at Snow Ranch as well. Have to tell you it wasn't as well attended as most gatherings due to the early morning rain.

At Bay Area Rocketry, I picked up two motor tube hard points for recovery, two BIG swivels, two packs of long Q2G2 igniters for dual deploy, an I200W reload for my Crayon, and a G138T reload for my Steppin' Razor. Money going up in smoke!

Due to spending too much time at the vendors' tents, I didn't get in on the crayon drag race. As it was there were five crayons going up at once and mine would have been the sixth. Maybe we should make the crayon drag race a regular thing? Ended up launching my crayon on an H165R and picked up some horrible rod whip but no harm done. I'm going to add some rail buttons and not use the launch lugs anymore.

Saw Robert Belknap and his family, and Ari and Leah. The high point of the day was getting a high five...well, a low five, from Leah. View attachment 124787

It was definitely a fun day! I was hoping to run into some forum members but was not quite sure how to ask around --- "Hi! I'm ThirstyBarbarian! Who are you?" It seemed awkward...

WOW that is a great shot. The terrain is insane and then you have plumbing bits sparkling up. Niiiiiiiiiice

About the terrain, this cool rock outcropping is sort of a backdrop to the launch site, but most of the country is nice rolling grassy pasture land. It's not all as rugged as this shot appears to be. It was my first time going to this launch site, and it seemed like a nice setup. The telephoto makes the outcrop look much closer than it really is. For most of the time I was there, there was a group of guys sitting on top of the rock.

I'm not sure if I was there when this launch happened, but I did get to see some flights on these big sparkly black smoke Dark Matter engines, and it was pretty cool!

Great launch day. My Bro and his spawn brought a rocket they built and I brought along some cool ones to shoot.

[video=youtube;XjirCQdfPEI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjirCQdfPEI[/video]

Above is the rocket my nephew built at school. It was a BT50 with a 18MM motor mount and tiny fins. They had hot glued a broken fin on and he really did not care if it got lost so I crammed a C6-5 in it. We lost sight of it instantly. Holy crap did it scream though. My brother found it in the field by chance when he went into the field to spot my Big Daddy on a F40-4W

[video=youtube;6TXVzZDK3Io]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TXVzZDK3Io[/video]

That is my L1 test Big Daddy and it flew great. Landed 20 feet from the launch pad.

IMAG3393 by beerorkid, on Flickr

Rail buttons on a Baby Bertha seems silly, but oh man did she fly. Doubt she will ever see less than a C6-5. Used a streamer and she hit a corn stalk that tore up a fin, but flew again no prob.

[video=youtube;eEP0_347SU4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEP0_347SU4[/video]

Finishing up the Victoria Grade School rockets. The Kids DO build these, as evidenced by the multiple centering sleeve locations on the motor mounts. I take them home to re-enforce the fins and MAKE SURE they're airworthy. This class is my least favorite because it is an after school program that I do in cooperation with the local extension office. We only have an hour and a half and in that time, it's tough to make them airworthy and so, I take them home and fix them. It's a piece of mind thing for me and to insure we have a safe launch day. I also take them home and prime them so the kids can paint them if they want to. More often than not, this will be the first and last time this rocket will fly and most likely never see paint. Hopefully, I can interest at least one kid to stick with it. If I do, he/she will come back or show up at my house asking me to help them with their next rocket. And that, is what makes it all worth it.

VGS14.jpgVGS13.jpgVGS15.jpg

Got some more painting in: gloss white on the Trident I and the NCR SA-14 and gray on the Alien8. Also got the decals on the 4 Square and some of the decals on the Solar Sailer clone. Sorry, no pictures.

It was definitely a fun day! I was hoping to run into some forum members but was not quite sure how to ask around --- "Hi! I'm ThirstyBarbarian! Who are you?" It seemed awkward...

That's the way most of us do or did it. In my case, my hat says "Old Dude" and QQuake's says "Captain Low-n-Slow".

Next time, if you see an old green and white Ford Bronco that's me. If in doubt, all my rockets are painted fluorescent pink with metallic black trim. If you see the big red ambulance aka "Firefly", that's Ari. If in doubt, he usually has his little curly-haired munchkin Leah in tow. He's the only person I've ever seen launch a remote controlled HPR glider.

At yesterday's launch, a group from Belgium was set up and flying a bunch of low power rockets. Apparently Snow Ranch is world famous. LOL!

Saturday - drove up to the range to help with cleaning. All the rails are now nice and shiny, all the junk is cleared out from the range storage locker :)
Sunday - Started building a Shrox Stonebraker out of BT60 - 1.68x upscale from the BT50 version on Apogee's website. (My Patrol Cruiser Excalibur build is on-hold until I get some cloth to glass the body tube.)

Krusty

I watched a group of U of M students come to our field to test a 54mm I motor, spend an hour setting everything including load cell, computer and all that nonsense and then proceed to vaporize said casing. :y:

I have never, ever seen a CATO that large in a motor that size.

Kaboom.jpg

I watched a group of U of M students come to our field to test a 54mm I motor, spend an hour setting everything including load cell, computer and all that nonsense and then proceed to vaporize said casing. :y:

I have never, ever seen a CATO that large in a motor that size.

View attachment 124958
BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :roll:

I hacked on OpenRocket code some to button up some bugs. My son's friend came over and built a rocket in my dungeon. We're taking him along to KLOUDBurst next weekend.

Attended the CENJARS launch in NJ. Finished construction and wiring of the AV bay for my Rocketry Warehouse G3. Its now ready to fly this coming weekend at Red Glare.

I regret some of my pattern location choices after pulling the masks off and then standing back and looking at it. I also need to break-up all that white in the middle. I had some seepage so I'll need to re-mask and go in with an airbrush on low pressure cover those spots and fix where my masks were not as straight as I thought they were. It was a good testbed for the Frau im Mond V2. I'll be airbrushing those patterns rather than using a rattle can as I did with this. Lesson learned.
Thor Paint 6.jpgThor Paint 5.jpg

Registered on the forum after lurking for more than a month!

epoxied some motor mounts, ordered Launch Controller components off eBay (relays mostly), ordered BNC connectors for my telemetry receiver and 13db Yagi antenna for my current project - a BT80 scratchbuilt, OpenRocket file for it is in my sig.

Registered on the forum after lurking for more than a month!

epoxied some motor mounts, ordered Launch Controller components off eBay (relays mostly), ordered BNC connectors for my telemetry receiver and 13db Yagi antenna for my current project - a BT80 scratchbuilt, OpenRocket file for it is in my sig.

Hi, new guy :)

I worked on a small BT 50 based for something to do. 6 5/8ths" tube and a short rounded cone. Fins will be like a Mark ll, it's kinda got that look. 8" Hartle 'chute with 1/8" elastic I got at WallyWorld. Got 4 different kinds, all small.

I got a batch of cones comeing. Mostly for midpower rockets. All the way to a BT 80 based Mercury capsule. Still deciding on either a Little Joe or the full blown Mercury Redstone...I'm leaning towards the latter. :)

Finished infecting two more newbies with a custom DART rangebox and two rockets. One is 8 and the other 30 something. New blood!

Played with some up/down scales in open rocket. Pulled the upper BT and Avbay out of the THOR file to create a shorty, only to find it made very little difference in performance. Still too heavy for a backyard launch... only 1's & 0's, a click of the mouse and it was back to normal.

Considered a 7.5in THOR... again with a click I was back to my senses. 5.38in EAC Viper shows promise....

I can't wait to get back to building......

Got to the sanding stage on a Semroc Sprite. It's a great looking little rocket. A true classic.

Back