What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Placed an order for the Estes Nike Smoke and some 15min. epoxy :D. Gonna be a fun build! I'll be posting a build thread.

Opened one of those wonderful white boxes (soon to be brown, for a while) from Semroc. A Deci-scale Nike-Tomahawk, Starlight and Sprite said "greetings!" The Starlight and Sprite are classics in my book.

I wish I'd paid more attention on Monday. Or perhaps it's better that I didn't. As the order would have swelled to include the Centurion F and the Maxi-Micron w/booster. Something to look forward to.

Teaching a rocketry class at the Victoria Grade School today. Tested out the Go Box on a Q2G2, no premature ignition on the continuity test...I'm stoked. Maiden flight of the seven motor cluster is tentatively Sunday, April 21.

Experimenting with thin-wall (sewer) PVC pipe as structural airframe material, a-la BadAzz. I'm building a 3" tuber as my first attempt. Hoping to fly it Saturday at Snow Ranch.

Ari.

I have a 20 year old PVC rocket I origionaly confirmed on and got my 2nd level. Wouldn't be afraid to fly it today.

Went to KMart and got spray paint, 2 white store brand, blue, yellow, and orange Rustoleum. Package from Uncle Mike came. Built 6 small parachutes from Hartle Ind. Nice little 'chutes. I was running low on 'chutes so I got 2 assortment packs with a 6", 8", 10", and a 12" in ripstop plastic I think it's called. I also got an assortment of streamers for the light weight rockets. I also got a set of the Estes Tube Cutoff Rings. Looks like they will really help cutting bodytubes. Oh, yeah, I have 29 assorted body tubes I just got from Unk Mike, all but the BT5 tubes SEMROC.

Last edited:
Spray painted several parts:
Estes QCC Explorer nose cone, which is 16. in (edit - uhh - 1 POINT 6 inch diameter!) diameter by 9.25 inches long: directions call for solid red, I'm painting a couple inches each end cheap Walmart enamel red with center section fluorescent red.
Quest Force 5 fins in their third coat Dupli-Color grey filler primer.
Estes Renegade nose cone and fin tip pods:; directions call for black, this one is white and will get a blue canopy - total non-manufacturer-intended livery. Xarconian bought the other day will be painted to match in livery from one country in a sci-fi fantasy story which I have been 'playing at' writing on and off over the years. A bunch of leftover plastic model decals will also be involved when decaling time comes.

Last edited:
Replaced the bad fin on the 20 mill and got sanding sealer on and primed--yesterday--DSCF0595.jpg--got the pods sealed today and tried an experiment in silver paint---DSCF0603.jpg---so far a good day !!

Got a box with a couple rockets in it.
I then repacked the box with a kit and some misc goodies and that will be sent to a TRFer.
Also started fixing a crappy paint job on a scratcher.
All my fillets lifted/blistered. ?????????

B-rocket 004.jpg

B-rocket 011.jpg

Built something to use as a platform for testing some new painting techniques. It's just a 14" section of BT-80 tube with one fin. I have some painting and finishing ideas I want to try out and perfect before I use them on the Estes Partizon that I just started buildiing.

Peeled the peel ply off some fins I glassed. Time to cut new fins and airfoil them AFTER i glass them.

Successfully completed the ground testing of the ejection charges for my Rocketry Warehouse G3.

Jim Z

Picked up some stainless steel hardware and talked to the shop teacher about turning some ejection charge holders on the metal lathe. Opened up a box of LP rockets that came in the mail. Did some advising to the school rocket club members on their JR level 1 certifications.

Worked all day, but got some browsing on TRF in between.. then after dinner, sanded, primed, and sanded again, 2 custom rockets that my kids designed and build. I usually end up doing the finishing on their rockets.. they like to build and fly, but I have to make them look nice. :facepalm:

shark.jpg

Last edited:
I've done very little rocketish for the last few days except for cutting a set of fins for a friend and posting them off.
Tomorrow I'm away to our launch site to help clean and prep everything for the forthcoming launch season. That's going to be a long day - 460km / 285mile round trip and I don't even get to launch something!!

Krusty

I cut fins for a recovery testbed for Bare Necessities. Here, shown with my hand for scale, in front of the real thing.

13+-+1

Dang they look small when made of carbon, but that's all that's necessary given our nosecone.

I've done very little rocketish for the last few days except for cutting a set of fins for a friend and posting them off.
Tomorrow I'm away to our launch site to help clean and prep everything for the forthcoming launch season. That's going to be a long day - 460km / 285mile round trip and I don't even get to launch something!!

Krusty

Can't even sneak in a little one?!? Not right... Have a safe trip.

Last night, I did some repair / prep work for saturday:
1)Glued a fin back on my oldest's hi-flier
2)Brought my youngest's Fire Wizard out of retirement.
(Replaced the shock cord with the elastic from my NARCon badge - stuck on a new streamer.)
3)checked/shook out chutes on things
4)figured out what motor to fly my mini darkstar with. (not sure I trust openrocket, it's simming much higher than I thought this thing would fly. 1500 some odd feet on an F40?)

Tonight, I'm going to finish prepping, and checking rockets. Also got to remember to charge the camera and altimiter.

Hey Robert! Looking forward to seeing you tomorrow.

Ari.

Prepping a few rockets, charging batteries, and selecting motors for the SEVRA launch tomorrow.

Finished construction of an E Super Roc for an altitude competition tomorrow at the Radical Rockeeters launch in Great Meadows, NJ. :)

Jim Z

worked on my wireless launch controll today...still some more work to do. I did test it out. worked to 949 feet..longest I could do here at home.

IMG_1511.jpg

Tony

Cut and cored the grains for the 2 M1100's for the Deuce 98. Found I will have to sand the liners :(

Took delivery of Boostervision camera. Mounted it on the Darkstar with electrical tape. One more round of ground testing on ejection charges. Charged a lot of batteries, built the rocket up as much as possible and packed up the boxes for tomorrow. Hopefully I'll come home with a L2 cert.

Back