What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Installed some of the wraps on my Saturn V with some med CA... that stuff reeks when used in those quantities! The wraps that I glued in place came out surprisingly well. One is a little lower (by 2-3 mm) then is supposed to be and the bottom wrap has a small bulge in it 'cause I didn't pull it tight enough, but all in all it still came out much better then I was expecting.

I cut a 38mm shim out of Blue Tube so I can use my new Loki case with a Slim Line retainer.

Cut out a ring to fit a 38mm hole in a 98mm tube for the Lil' Warlock. Pretty happy.

Glued the fins on my Estes Leviathan. Looked at some other ones for Thunderstruck 4. Haven't decided which ones will go.

Adrian

Well, today I worked on a (BLEEP) for the new line of (BLEEP) made out of (BLEEP) coming out soon. It turned out (BLEEP).

I'm very (BLEEP) with the results!

Alex

Last edited:
Armor All'd my Formula 98 and installed the recovery - FINISHED!
Prepped my Estes Nike Smoke and scratch AeroLOC (LOC 2.6" body tube & nose cone, Aerotech G-Force fins) for priming.
Built the motor mount and prepped the nose cone and tail cone of my Estes V2.

Started on a Semroc Saturn 1b. This is going to take some time.... We'll see how it comes out.

-Kevin

Performed rhinoplasty on my Madcow Piranha. When she flew last week, an attachment issue on my part caused the nose to come in ballistic into the only paved road around. The nose tip was flattened. I built up a new nose with epoxy clay and shaped it today. Just needs new paint and she'll be as good as new. :)

Also did more work on building the av bay for my G3.

I rummaged through my electrical parts box in search of wire for my av bay/adept22 project. I will embiggen my "Steppin' Razor II" to dual deploy rather than repairing the zipper I sustained a week or two ago.

I settled on some wire from a PC power supply unit that took a dump on me a while back. It's stranded core, about 18" long, colored in red, black, yellow, and orange. All the colors I need for my adept22 (+, -, drogue, main).

Spent the rest of the day with Mrs. OD celebrating our 34th anniversary by dining out for brunch and dinner, yakking with the kids on the phone, and looting the local stores of Easter gifts for the grands. I know one little boy (Ajax the Barbarian*) who is going to be surprised to see his very own 30th Anniversary Edition Cozy Coupe. I'm already smiling as I picture his reaction.

* So named because at 18 months of age he has already mastered the art of escaping the dreaded Playpen of Doom and the Crib of Good Night.

You know how at some point we all tell our kids "Just wait until you have children of your own"? Those days are here now and I'm loving it.

Finished the external fillets on the 3" Darkstar. Did some fine-tuning sanding on the ends of the body tubes to knock down the gaps to less than .5mm. All that's left is drilling a few holes (vents, shear pins, screws, and e-match holes in the av-bay bulkplates) and securing the tracker in the nosecone. This has been my first fiberglass kit and I'm loving it. No major mistakes, but I've got a few ideas to try on the next one to make things go a little more smoothly. Ejection charge testing is scheduled for Wednesday or Thursday and fly it if the weather is good and we have a launch on Saturday.

Went to Radio Shack and picked up an enclosure for my offset attenuator and then hit Lowe's for some more PVC (rocket stands) and hardware.

Browsed TRF a good amount and have a great idea for an upscale. I don't think it's been attempted (or at least documented).

I rummaged through my electrical parts box in search of wire for my av bay/adept22 project. I will embiggen my "Steppin' Razor II" to dual deploy rather than repairing the zipper I sustained a week or two ago.

I settled on some wire from a PC power supply unit that took a dump on me a while back. It's stranded core, about 18" long, colored in red, black, yellow, and orange. All the colors I need for my adept22 (+, -, drogue, main).

Spent the rest of the day with Mrs. OD celebrating our 34th anniversary by dining out for brunch and dinner, yakking with the kids on the phone, and looting the local stores of Easter gifts for the grands. I know one little boy (Ajax the Barbarian*) who is going to be surprised to see his very own 30th Anniversary Edition Cozy Coupe. I'm already smiling as I picture his reaction.

* So named because at 18 months of age he has already mastered the art of escaping the dreaded Playpen of Doom and the Crib of Good Night.

You know how at some point we all tell our kids "Just wait until you have children of your own"? Those days are here now and I'm loving it.

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY to you and the missus, Kit :wink:

Will do a thread on it, but yeah....

IMAG3323 by beerorkid, on Flickr

Picked up a baby Bertha for the Nosecone and the fins. After looking at the fins, I realized that they were not the same at all, much smaller. Looked up a couple Bertha fin paterns and decided to just scratch build a rocket with the Bertha Nosecone.

Went with Krusty Big Daddy fins on a 3 way config. Love it Krusty and thanks.

IMAG3324 by beerorkid, on Flickr

24mm retainer installed from www.rocketarium.com . Many gray primer and sanded down to a deep purple. Will rock it with tayma paint for a finish. Will be used often.

IMAG3330 by beerorkid, on Flickr

Through body ply fins. 24MM retainer installed. Kevlar on the motor tube. Rail buttons will be installed.

Scratch Thread

Last edited:
Busy Sunday!

Proline filets on F98
IMG_1534_zps96856246.jpg

IMG_1539_zps716bf950.jpg

Finished installed and gluing the pvc tabs on Mizz Rhonda
IMG_1542_zpsc08687d8.jpg

IMG_1547_zpsbf80b53b.jpg

And last, I borrowed this huge(to me) motor for next months launch.
0395890b-3deb-4355-a85e-fd948fb7c23d_zps0aadf8c4.jpg

Next to a 54/1706 motor for size comparison :y:
18c66056-5552-472c-b036-27872d211f42_zps18bb02a0.jpg

Sealed 36 fins (dip method) for the scout pack's build. Normally I would have them do it, but this group is a little too amped-up and has the attention span of gnat. Sanding tube seams took forever and they still need to fill and sand those seams. It wouldn't be that bad, but they only have one build session left I would like to teach them how to shoot paint without adding ten pounds and two inches of thickness to the rocket. Plus they have to sand down the sealer...without completely altering the shape of the fins. I have never had so much trouble with a basic class since I began doing this.

I moved aaaaallllll my rocket crap/stuff, tools and building materials into the new house my girlfriend and I are renting. Wish we were buying but we're not there yet! Great house though--it's an older one story but the entire roof space has been converted into an upstairs rec room deal...and it's all mine! I'm filling it with rockets, instruments and homebrewing stuff. I'm not going to get anything productive done...

StevenA--kids these days! I know the feeling. Unfortunately I don't think those attention spans will improve w/this instant gratification world we live in!

I futzed around with the LOC 3" av-bay kit I bought a week or so ago.

Dang! That thing weighs almost a pound without the electronics and battery installed.

Back