What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scored an Adept ALTS25 on e(vil) bay. Half the price of new, looks to be mounted to a sled for 54mm. Prolly got ripped since no one had bid on it, but hey, now I have redundant DD altimeters to play with. Hoping I can make it fit in 1.88" Aerotech tube for my Son of THOR project..

Cut bottom of 4" nose cone off prepping for tracker.. used hand saw about 30 sec could see would take a year to cut ... moved over to chop saw :D
Frenzy nosecone.jpg

Last edited:
I'm now 5 weeks into my LOC Iris build. Today I wetsanded again with 600 grit and then sprayed 3rd and final red color coat. That makes 9 coats of paint so far. I'll wait several days before masking and then spray a couple of coats of black trim. After that comes the clearcoat and then it will FINALLY be finished.

I'm now 5 weeks into my LOC Iris build. Today I wetsanded again with 600 grit and then sprayed 3rd and final red color coat. That makes 9 coats of paint so far. I'll wait several days before masking and then spray a couple of coats of black trim. After that comes the clearcoat and then it will FINALLY be finished.

Not to be a Dbag, but if you could make a killer build thread on it I think many would be grateful. Red clear coat makes me want to drool over it.

(you might have one I missed)

Not to be a Dbag, but if you could make a killer build thread on it I think many would be grateful. Red clear coat makes me want to drool over it.

(you might have one I missed)

This LOC Iris was my first LOC rocket build so doing a build thread kind of would have been the blind leading the blind. Anyway I didn't take pictures along the way so too late now.

My painting skills get a little better on each build I do. I'll post some pics when its finished.

Wasn't it you that came on here early on and said he wasn't really interested in high power and lvl 1 builds? I could be thinking of someone else, but kind of sneaks up on ya huh? :)

:roll:

That was indeed me. Now, just to clarify, I never said I wasn't INTERESTED in HPR, I just said I wouldn't likely never get into it. I did come back and own up to that statement later on though. 5 minutes after being at XPRS last year, I decided I was DEAD WRONG. Fast forward to a year later........yeah, that's a 54mm casing on my desk.

Been tacking the fins on this min diameter I started awhile back. One more to tack when I get home, then the Proline 4500 is next...

BL-OpenRocket.jpg

Assembled a LOC 29-38mm motor adapter and I didn't follow the instructions. Actually I adjusted the instructions for a better result.

Fits nicely inside a 38mm Aeropack retainer.

:roll:

5 minutes after being at XPRS last year, I decided I was DEAD WRONG.

I went to a launch around 2003 or so expecting to see people flying Estes rockets since that was all I knew in the mid 80's. They were flying G and H motors, and they were loud! Found out this wasn't the rocketry I knew anything about. If we only had the internet back then. So yeah, I feel ya....starting to buy casings, electronics, and motors and sell the chaps. Good Times

I went to a launch around 2003... If we only had the internet back then

We did. I've been using it since the late '70s. Back then we used things called Gopher and WAIS. The http protocols didn't come about until the '90s though. That's when Al Gore built it after all :)

Last edited:
Nothing for the next few days. Another blizzard is rolling in so my weekend will be shot. I need to keep the QCC on the back-burner or I'll go stir crazy sitting out the storm. Left for work this morning, it was "warm" and dead calm. I whimpered, got into the pickup and drove to work anyway...I keep telling myself we need the moisture so we can have a rocket season, but this is getting hard.

We did. I've been using it since the late '70s. Back then we used things called Gopher and WAIS. The http protocols didn't come about until the '90s though. That's when Al Gore built it after all :)

well, we didn't have a PC back then, so it wasn't going to do us any good. The joys of growing up in the country....so much more to do, yet so much we didn't know about. :wink:

well, we didn't have a PC back then, so it wasn't going to do us any good....

No, but at work we had Xerox Alto and Dandilion workstations. Xerox invented the mouse, Ethernet and windowing systems. They were decades ahead of their time.

And to pick nits and continue the walk down memory lane, some of us did have a sort of home PC - the S100 system. It predates the original IBM PC. It was based on the Intel 8080/Zilog Z80.

But yes, the web makes things so much easier :) Back then we used modems with acoustic couplers to communicate with bulletin board systems and terminal servers from home. When I was an undergrad, I remember trying to explain the horrendous phone bills to my dad as a result of calling long distance for hours on end to communicate with our university's computers. 110 baud was the norm...

Last edited:
We had a lull in the high winds we had today, so me and my 7 year old ran out with our old Estes pad and launched her Big Bertha a couple of time before it got too dark, great flights, sorry forgot pics as we was in a hurry!!

Finished an incredibly complicated and technically demanding project; an Estes Challenger II clone:wink:. It was built using parts scrounged from an Estes Eliminator that had been in my shop for YEARS. The technical part was mixing the epoxy that held the fin can in place. :rolleyes: I made it 18mm powered with hopes of flying it at B6-4 Field when it resurfaces. If the weather holds out later today, I hope to finish painting my FSI Echo clone, and get some paint on my Estes Ventris before the supposed Saturday launch. (I had planned to paint the Ventris last week, but realized that I hadn't installed the launch lugs.:blush::facepalm: Yeah, like that's never happened before.)

I had planned to paint the Ventris last week, but realized that I hadn't installed the launch lugs.:blush::facepalm: Yeah, like that's never happened before.)
Oh, don't worry! I've discovered I've not put lugs on AFTER I've finished painting rockets..... "Oh boy, these decals are sure going on easy!! No launch lug to get in the.... Oh..... OH!!!!!" :puke:

Krusty

Oh, don't worry! I've discovered I've not put lugs on AFTER I've finished painting rockets..... "Oh boy, these decals are sure going on easy!! No launch lug to get in the.... Oh..... OH!!!!!" :puke:

Krusty

I've taken fully finished rockets to the pad and found no lugs on multiple occasions. I've got one of those photographers vests with all the pockets that I use to carry CA, lugs, igniters, plugs, parachutes, sandpaper, etc.

Ordered Miniature Astronautics Reprint Series from Uncle Mike's as resource material for my rocketeers.

ARRRGGGHHH!!! I just made a stupid mistake. Today I masked and painted the final black trim on my LOC Iris (one fin and also a horizontal stripe on the tube). But the black was lacquer and I painted it over a white enamel base coat. So of course it CRINKLED UP!!! Now I'm going to have to sand down the black areas and respray them with enamel. Dammit.

Got an altimeter wiring kit from doghouse (yesterday) and I also got some nichrome and a push button switch.

Back