What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This...
IMG_0843.JPG

No not that.. this...
IMG_0845.JPG

right on! I told my son he should read those instruction THOROUGHLY:flyingpig:
IMG_0846.JPG

I got to prime my Madcow Piranha this evening. Now I smell like paint.

Applied CWF to the fins, lower body tube and switch band. Still need to do the upper tube.

-Modified my launch pad to accept 1/4 rod in order to launch my freshly done Mege Der Red Max on Saturday.
-Went to the hobby shop and picked up some C & D size engines for Saturdays launch
-Put new batteries in my launch controller for Saturday
-Looked over a few of the other rockets I will be taking to the field Saturday
-Talked a little trash to a friend I plan on beating in a drag race on Saturday
-Charged my gopro and keychain camera to get some video footage on Saturday
-Going to bed to dream about Saturday

Short version = I got ready for Saturdays launch! :grin:

Clear coated an Estes Drifter (clone) A Centuri Starfire (original), An Estes Big Bertha (old black, yellow, and white paint job) and last but not least a Mercury Engineering Integrator (custom paint on this one).

Government building. Security has a copy of the video and they were grateful for the vid because others have reported missing stuff. They were working on finding the offender. Her employment will be terminated.

I tossed the hot tamales and got some nibs.

This sort of thing never ceases to amaze me...

My old man worked with a guy at the nuke plant... they were in the warehouse and so sometimes they had to jump in the truck and run things around to different parts of the plant...

Dad got a call from this guy while he was out in the pickup delivering stuff... the guy had apparently swiped some welding rods or dumpster dove for them or whatever, rolled them up in a newspaper, but forgot to take them with him when he went off shift. He left them in floor of the pickup in the middle near the seat, and wanted Dad to stuff them behind the seat or under the seat and hide them.

Well, Dad told him he wasn't getting involved in it, and that if he had a problem he could come back down there and solve it himself, because he wasn't messing with it at all. He thought more about it and as he finished his rounds... The thought occurred that it COULD be a setup, seeing if HE would cover up for someone stealing, and hide the stuff, thereby being complicit, and thus grounds for termination. Since they had pulled stuff like this before, he decided it simply wasn't worth the chance. He got back to the warehouse and reported it to his supervisor.

The other guy got fired, for stealing about $5 worth of welding rods, off a $28 an hour union job with all the overtime you could possibly ever want... (this was the 80's after all... BIG money back then!) Dad was sorry to see the guy lose his job, but at the same time, it was HIS stupidity, and then compounding that by asking someone else to stick their neck in a noose for HIS stupidity... heck, if he'd have kept his mouth shut, probably nobody would have even seen it til the next evening, and if a boss did, they'd probably just toss the welding rods in the trash and ream everybody out for improperly storing them (all welding rods in a nuke plant have to be issued in portable rod ovens to keep them from absorbing humidity, which can foul up the welds).

Stupid is as stupid does...

Later! OL JR :)

PS. Rocketry twitter-- interesting... LOL:)

What I did rocketry related today?? Looked at what I'll need to get the rolling stalk choppers ready to go on the other farm when they finish their 3D seismographing up there and get all the wires off the ground so I don't chop them into little bitty pieces... after all I'm sure the club would appreciate having all the dead, dry weeds chopped up and on the ground when they get around to flying up there again, and the cows would appreciate more grass...

Nothing yesterday. Today I'm going by Harbor Freight to find some Superlube (for AT reloads) and a blowtorch (to heat up a brass rod I want to smash). Then off to an auto parts store to find some automotive detailing masking tape. Then if it's warm enough, I might start the primer on my L1 project.

Why are you smashing a brass rod?? What did it ever do to you?? LOL:)

Seriously, brass is fairly soft... if you have access to a good 16 ounce ball peen hammer and an anvil you should be able to flatten it out pretty easily... without a torch.

Course, I'm probably missing something here.... LOL:) Later! OL JR :)

IMAG3064 by beerorkid, on Flickr

The wife and I work at the same place and we live a mile from work so we go home for lunch. At lunch she kept looking out for the mailman. She said she had a package coming today. Got home from work and she grabs the mail and starts doing the happy dance. Hands me the box from Jolly Logic and says "SURPRISE". It came wrapped in gold wrapping paper. Seems during my constant rambling about rockets I mentioned altimiters. She did the research on her own and got the cool one off Amazon. "My honey needed the one with the cool functions not that weak one that just tells you how high it went"

I fricking love that girl. Been together for 15 years and she is happy to get into rockets with me. Painted her own rocket and is ready for her next one to paint, but she is not crazy about the building part and is not all that obsessed about them like I am currently. Will see if she goes with me on launches often when it warms up, but that sure was a nice surprise.

Got a keeper for sure...

Later! OL JR :)

The last couple of evenings I've been making a nose cone mold !!

I started with a Mega Der Red Max nose cone -
MDRM-NC1-s.jpg

And cut a board to fit the profile -
MDRM-NC2-s.jpg

Supports are in place to keep the nose cone positioned with the board at exactly the half-way point -
MDRM-NC4-s.jpg

This is the first half done. The red colour is the gel coat. I used some polyester dye to colour it.
MDRM-NC5-s.jpg

And this is where I'm at tonight. Just about to start building up the 2nd half :)
MDRM-NC6-s.jpg

This is my first go at making a mold like this. I've read two tutorials -
The first one by Handeman - https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?36652-Making-a-Fiberglass-Nose-Cone-Mold
and the second by Phil on my local Australian forum - https://ausrocketry.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3857

It's looking ok so far :) I'll know for sure by Sunday!

Krusty

Just got up and checked the forum. Thought I would post up yesterdays work. Painted the fincan on Coppertop:
0043.jpg

Mounted the Acme conformal rail guides on the Bunny:
0033.jpg

I also opened up three packages I got in the mail. External speakers from Perfectflite, bulkheads and 1/8" kevlar from CJ, and kevlar thread from the Thread exchange.

Painted black stripe on the bottom of the HyperLoc 835, sanded off some stray epoxy on FlameThrower, and drilled vent holes in the HyperLoc AVbay.

Installed the retainer on the DX-3 and glued on the Blue Bird Zero fins. Now I need to straighten up the workbench before I start the Orion.

Sanded my fillets on the Nova Payloader I'm using for the basic class this year, sanded the fillets on the Bull Pup, mended one of the tabs on the glider for the Orbital Transport after I dropped it and snapped it off! Ordered 16 CC Express' for this year's advanced class. Came here to see what everyone else was doing instead filling out a report for the State of Kansas. This is far more interesting than that. :eyeroll: Trust me. If, it's warm like the weather guys promised for tomorrow, I'll prime the Nova and the Bull Pup and shoot the first coat of white onto the V2.

IMAG3069 by beerorkid, on Flickr

Amazon for some reason put the rockwell jaw stand box in another box with tons of paper. That thing is more of a beast than I figured it would be. Also my 4 foot rail seems a bit small. Will build the rail holder mount this weekend.

IMAG3068 by beerorkid, on Flickr

And a super big thanks to Krusty for shipping laser cut plywood bits for a Big Daddy that will have my first 29 mm reloadable engine. Planning on going Aerotech RMS. Your package should be shipping out this weekend Krusty.

Looks like I need to update my sig ;)

Didn't do much last night.....finished a couple centering rings for my Phoenix, ordered a 24mm retainer from Rocketarium for same Phoenix, and sanded down the primer coat on my Cherokee D. Will need to get things together tonight for launch tomorrow, I'll have a little time in between other things going on.

esterday - nothing. Today turned on the heater in the man cave - so far that's it.

I just want to mention that just a bit over a month ago I made my first post here and had only built a Der Red Max and a couple E2X rockets. Now I am about ready to build a rocket with plywood fins and launch by rail this weekend. It is all because of you fine folk on this forum that I have come this far so fast.

THANKS GUYS

cannabananaism by beerorkid, on Flickr

May not get anything done today. Arthritis is flaring up in a big way and since everything I have left to do involves sanding...:p

IMAG3069 by beerorkid, on Flickr

Amazon for some reason put the rockwell jaw stand box in another box with tons of paper. That thing is more of a beast than I figured it would be. Also my 4 foot rail seems a bit small. Will build the rail holder mount this weekend.

That's a great looking stand! What did that cost?

It looks like the bottom 12" of your rail is stuck behind the black guide things. You might want to see if you can get some aluminium box section to push the rail out a little bit.

The closest I've seen before is the Triton work stand
TritonWorkStand.JPG
These run about about $60 on ebay.

IMAG3068 by beerorkid, on Flickr

And a super big thanks to Krusty for shipping laser cut plywood bits for a Big Daddy that will have my first 29 mm reloadable engine. Planning on going Aerotech RMS. Your package should be shipping out this weekend Krusty.

Looks like I need to update my sig ;)

No probs :) I'm sure you're going to have a ball with those !! Let me know what you think of the stands when you use 'em :)

Krusty

I just got 12 from Hobbylinc for :
Item Total : $10.78
Shipping & Handling : $5.95
Total : $16.73

Who is BRS and what kind of deal was it?

Hey....
Did you code the HTML table in your post?

Anyway...
https://www.brshobbies.com/

After conferring with compatriots and advisers I decided that my homespun ematches just didn't cut the cheese. The Q2G2 was recommended and when I found them for ~$1 each I bought 11 packs to replace the ematches for deployment charges.
Gonna' test, test, test....

Back