What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GoonyVectorG-XL_zpsa1d76c52.jpg

Finished basic construction of a Goony Vector G-XL. Launch was cancelled today, so I didn't get to do the shakedown flight that I'd planned on. It will fly on an E9-4 and I'm wondering if the stubby fin setup will be enough for a stable flight.

I excavated the 'rocket room', so that we can get a new water heater installed.

Wheeee.....

-Kevin

I talked to Mason :point: quite a bit and did some wiring on my AV bays.

Alex

IMAG0165 by beerorkid, on Flickr

Uber built a Big Daddy in under an hour. 5 min epoxy FTW.

I had ordered the kit to build for my level 1 NAR launch with the plywood fins and bits Krusty so kindly sent me, but I am so jonesing to launch on 24mm engines more these days and the uber build is in the near future. The first Big Daddy got taken over by the wife and will only fly once. The uber Daddy is a ways off. I so need a Daddy that I can fly whenever I want and it needed to be done. My Next hobbylinc order will have yet another Big Daddy and maybe some extra 3 inch tube.

IMAG0166 by beerorkid, on Flickr

Already primed and Theresa has my wishes for paint down with a plan.

UPDATE:

IMAG0167 by beerorkid, on Flickr

IMAG0168 by beerorkid, on Flickr

Built and painted in under 2 hours. Kevlar cord and all. I am going to launch the F out of this rocket.

I am so loving the flat black look. The fat Daddy just feels good in your hands. It is a rocket's rocket. If I did not build it, I would buy the one I built for $20 off Amazon just to have it. It is a toy, but so much of a cool one. It like shoots up in the air and stuff.

Last edited:
GoonyVectorG-XL_zpsa1d76c52.jpg

Finished basic construction of a Goony Vector G-XL. Launch was cancelled today, so I didn't get to do the shakedown flight that I'd planned on. It will fly on an E9-4 and I'm wondering if the stubby fin setup will be enough for a stable flight.

Do you have a Rocsim or Openrocket file? This rocket is really neat looking! :)

came up with another idea in openrocket... should probably start building them

I flew my 'pulsar pink' crayon(by Estes) on a powerful B6-2 :). think it managed 200'. photo by a fellow Woosh member.
rex

I saw one of those on a D10 SU today....WOW!

I went to the WAC launch and was able to get my Maxi Courier (BT-60 upscale of Estes Courier) up on an E18.....been on a huge upscale kick lately

Today? Hmmm...

Epoxied the rear centering ring into my 5.5" Der Red Max build.
Sanded the tube fins for my 3" Super Neon 3XL
Melted the front of a new Gorilla 54-1400 case with an EX test...OOPS!

Wow...nothing that fancy!!

Just finished sanding my Executioner rebuild, fillets upgraded, cleared out the space for the new 29mm MMT, and will have that done and mounted day after tomorrow, along with I hope paint and soon decals from Stickershock!!

Do you have a Rocsim or Openrocket file? This rocket is really neat looking! :)

:blush:Uh, no. I fooled around with Openrocket a couple of years back, but got frustrated while trying to do a relatively simple project. Never got the urge to try again.

I went to launch this morning.

Lost & broke one of R2D2s fins I traded for - still have one to try to clone and flew Executioner on a F35.

Was gonna launch my prototype but had a misfire with Estes igniter and didn't have time to recycle before the range closed.

Also bought a dog barf bucket from lowes with compartments and cup holeders in the lid. Grabbed the HF batt jumxper and an assortment of clips to freshen up the launch controller I bought from CJ.

Kenny

I saw one of those on a D10 SU today....WOW!

Yeah, but Don had to use pliers to get it out of the melted fin can after that. Been there, done that with the current RTF Sizzler, which uses the same twist-on fin can.

Flew in three of the four competitions at the same WAC launch today, won one (spot landing) came in third in C Eggloft Duration (one great flight, one not so great) and fourth in A Altimeter-Payload. Also got two flights with the well-worn Nova Payloader carrying my new TeleMini and a MicroPeak.

Got home and put most of the stuff away. Glad I'm not dealing with a water heater issue - it would be a major pain to get to in the hobby room.....

Another coat of primer earlier in the day and wet sanded it a few minutes ago. More priming and sanding tomorrow.

*sigh*

Put finishing touches on assemling a Curvilinear, got two Mini Max hot rod rockets wrapped with trim sheet, and got started cutting tubes and parts for a super secret DR1 version Red Max.

what i did today.jpg

Estes Curvilinear.jpg

Mini Max and D Mini Max.jpg

More fillets.... What possessed me to build a rocket with 6 TTW fins, and with TBII no less??? Might switch to epoxy tomorrow.

Retacked a fin that either one of my kids knocked loose while doing laundry, or one of the dogs smacked into the wall, not sure which.
My 2-part foam left over from the Mega-Diablo project is bad. :( Just ordered another kit from Wildman.
Picked up some filler to do my fillets with today, but think I'm going to go ahead and do epoxy fillets. Not sure why! :)
Affixed my Av-Bay sled to the bottom bulkplate. That's about it.

R

I've lost track of the number of primer coats I've applied to the Madcow Squat nose cone. It's been said that the Madcow nose cones don't like to hold a paint job. From what I've seen thus far and with the "fuzz" I raised with the primary sanding with 60 grit, shedding paint shouldn't be a problem.

Today's coat may well be the final as it's awfully smooth just from being applied. If all goes right, tomorrow I will shoot some color and clear. Looking forward to being done with paint for a while.

IMAG0181 by beerorkid, on Flickr

Flat black looks fricking awesome.

You should call it Stuntship and stick a "Disaster Area" decal on it!!

Zaphod Beeblebrox: It's the weird colour scheme that freaks me. Every time you try to operate one of these weird black controls, which are labeled in black on a black background, a small black light lights up black to let you know you've done it. Hey, what is this, some kind of galactic hyper-hearse?

disaster area.jpg

I'm sure stickershock could hook you up with a nice glossy decal :)

Krusty

Said screw it, and started on my fillets. 30-minute epoxy with West Systems 'filler'...
About 70 degrees in the house right now. I figure I'll give them an hour a side.
Once the foam kit arrives, all I'll have to do is foam it, and paint it. I'll do as nice a job
on the paint as I can do in a day. Time crunch is on!
Going to be flown on 2/23 at ARG in Arizona on a 3000Ns L-1285.

R

Sanded the primer on the bsv... added some cwf to some rough spots and sanded some more... need to pick up a can of primer so i can finish it

You should call it Stuntship and stick a "Disaster Area" decal on it!!

Zaphod Beeblebrox: It's the weird colour scheme that freaks me. Every time you try to operate one of these weird black controls, which are labeled in black on a black background, a small black light lights up black to let you know you've done it. Hey, what is this, some kind of galactic hyper-hearse?

View attachment 117737

I'm sure stickershock could hook you up with a nice glossy decal :)

Krusty

The wife found that to be pretty funny too. She said she might work on a stencil of the disaster Area image and paint it with glossy black paint. I am not a big book reader, but I made it through all 3 Hitchhikers books on the toilet. I even sat down to pee for a couple months there. Was pretty cool that the movie came out about a year after I finished the books and I was finally able to understand why people get so made when a movie does not do a good job representing the book. I am currently working my way through the Princess Bride.

Back