What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For lunch hour I launched a Mosquito on an A10 and lost it. Kind of expected. Interesting though that I watched the boost, coast and saw the eject puff, then nothing. Absolutely nothing. Mosquito is as Mosquito does.
A familiar feeling. For now I solved the problem with a large flat field without grass. And wait wind. But soon the tractor to plow the field deep and feeling will return :)
Exactly for this purpose painted the fins of Saturn X today. Red. Visible from afar.

For lunch hour I launched a Mosquito on an A10 and lost it. Kind of expected. Interesting though that I watched the boost, coast and saw the eject puff, then nothing. Absolutely nothing. Mosquito is as Mosquito does.

If you launched a Mosquito on an A10 then not only did you kind of "expect" to lose it, but just maybe deep down you also kind of "wanted" to lose it. :neener:

If you launched a Mosquito on an A10 then not only did you kind of "expect" to lose it, but just maybe deep down you also kind of "wanted" to lose it. :neener:

Maybe... :grin:

Actually more like i only have A10s on hand and a bit of ... Ah what the hell, I gotta try it! If I get it back cool, if not then oh well I can throw another one together from scraps

My 220 Swift was lost for a little while on a 1/4 A, but I found it behind my truck which was parked a distance from where I was flying.

I just posted that I flew it on a 10, but then I ran the mind sim and realized I must have mis-remembered, so I dug around and found my own accounting of the only flight of the 220 in the 220 Swift Gallery.
Thank goodness for me always mind simming, or someone would have remembered my post and held me to account, making me feel like a jerk.
I'm very tired lately, and likely think all sorts of fantastical things.:yawn:

A10s are great for tiny streamer birds like the Star Trooper. I loves me some A10s and A3s, but wish they made them with a 5-6 second delay, or even a 7 would be perfect.

Last edited:
My 220 Swift was lost for a little while on a 1/4 A, but I found it behind my truck which was parked a distance from where I was flying.

I just posted that I flew it on a 10, but then I ran the mind sim and realized I must have mis-remembered, so I dug around and found my own accounting of the only flight of the 220 in the 220 Swift Gallery.
Thank goodness for me always mind simming, or someone wuld have remembered my post and held me to account, making me feel like a jerk.
I'm very tired lately, and likely think all sorts of fantastical things.:yawn:

A10s are great for tiny streamer birds like the Star Trooper. I loves me some A10s and A3s, but wish they made them with a 5-6 second delay, or even a 7 would be perfect.

You may find someone with some A3-6's in their OOP stash. I at one time had some....

I have long ago given up to track the rocket glance. It can see if there is a deviation from the vertical trajectory, before start must take direction of the wind . And lose 5-6 rockets now seventh you gain 6 th sense where it fell and find :)At first you do not see but knowing the direction you walk, you walk maybe more than 3000 feet and see it somewhere :)
If the flight is almost vertical as it seems in your case, if you remember the wind direction will find it almost 100%.
0_1576b2_6e6516bd_L.jpg

Last edited:
Did final launch of summer this morning... school starts next week which translates to ZERO free time.
Two young boys and their dad joined my son for launching and recovery. 8 went up and all 8 recovered. Got a Father and his son interested in the hobby... didn't lose any rockets to tree's... had fun with my son and father-in-law. Was a very GEDC5539.jpggood morning!

Now that I'm finished with the guitar rocket, which took a lot of thought and effort, I needed something mindless and fun to work on before starting my L2 build. So I grabbed my Maxi Alpha III and some old school Stickershock vinyl and got to work. Also placed a motor order for, and secured permission from the wife to attend, a two-day high power launch next month.

20160819_151957.jpg

Maxi Alpha 3.jpg

Last edited:
I am ready tomorrow start Saturn X for 3 flight.Prepared sugar fuel put new igniter for the parachute.Nothing special but work went to 2-3 hours with breaks.

Now that I'm finished with the guitar rocket, which took a lot of thought and effort, I needed something mindless and fun to work on before starting my L2 build.

You earned it after that build.

I definitely know the feeling, after my current scratch build I'm definitely gonna do a straightforward kit just to give my brain a rest.

Yep,perfect start, vertical. One of the most durable and reliable amateur rockets. One of the safest systems for rescue. With two independent sources of activation capable save rocket at any speed. And an idiot (me) who forgot to connect it to the battery. I have long had to enter checklist But I think I can not'm so stupid to forget such a simple thing. Well it can.Otherwise, the ground was like a stone. Not rained 15 days at least. It is a miracle that only nose and part of the hull broke. Onboard camera remained healthy and now upload video to Youtube.
[video=youtube;7mwvGyDQa5w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mwvGyDQa5w[/video]

Last edited:
Today, it rained for the first half of the day, so I didn't bother going to the MARS launch in Geneseo. I've been trying to catch up on some cleaning, but in the process finally found the "safe" spot that I had put my JL Altimeter2 back in June after URRF3, so that's a big score as far as I'm concerned...

Added rail buttons to a few more of my old mid and high power rockets from the 1990s and to the AT Strong Arm that I built last year and to my wife's AT ARCAS that she built two years ago. All now have rail buttons except for my old NCR Eliminator, which will get them soon.

Also worked on my new RC rocket glider version of the vintage Estes Vindicator, with scaled up wings. It is about half done. And did some design work on my upcoming RC rocket glider version of the Dragonfly III aircraft from the old Jonny Quest cartoon show. Threads on both coming soon in the rocket glider area.

Last edited:
in preparation for my l2 attempt, I took 6 pounds of spare change to the bank...that should cover the cost of a J350 :).
Rex

Soldered some terminals onto a power cord so it can plug right into the terminals on a transformer for one of my hot wire foam cutters, then drilled a couple of holes for the wire in a project box for the same hot wire cutter.
It's the bow style one I made awhile back for use with my foam lathe.

ETA: Just did some more of the wiring, and when I'm finished, I'm going to try out this kids method, using the T-pins and freehanding some stuff.
He's doing planes, but this would make a great way to get scale tail cones for models like the Seawolf and AMRAAM that have the non conical tail cones:

[video=youtube;fi3CAtpvJJs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fi3CAtpvJJs[/video]

Last edited:
in preparation for my l2 attempt, I took 6 pounds of spare change to the bank...that should cover the cost of a J350 :).
Rex

When I read pounds, I was thinking nose weight. Maybe Pennies are cheaper that BBs / Lead shot. LOL.

More work on the foam cutting bow and started eyeballin' a Big Daddy kit that looks like it could occupy some of my down time if i can find a way to make it interesting. It was given to me earlier this year, and I always wanted one, but never did myself the favor.
I may go for the stock look, but with just a little 1.25 glass on everything or simply not use certain materials in certain places, in favor of my own for balance and stability purposes, and since I like working with my material. It made it all the way to the bench, I just have to have the resolve and fortitude of will to peel that damned glassine layer off, and then it's "Time Out For Fun"! A build will do me good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZUQ59UjCR0

Last edited:
Just received my model paint and glue in the mail for my Redstone capsule. The shipment also had a few of nice nylon parachutes too....one each for my Phoenix, my Bullpup and my Mercury Redstone.

Picked up some 4*4*12" balsa blocks from Hobby Lobby. Also grabbed some stamp cut plywood box kit things since a) they were on clearance and b) they look like good candidates for my el-cheapo mailing tube rocket fins.

Sanded and got a coat of primer on my Cygnus build. Meh. The more interesting item to report is that I finished decorating a batch of Space Cookies!

28632870464_21fb4c81e9_b.jpg

TopRamen,

This ended up in my feed today. Thought you might be interested.

[video=youtube;zRiNlU487Qc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRiNlU487Qc[/video]

Also, with your posted endeavors with composites, thought you may also be interested in this method, were you not already:

https://www.westsystem.com/ss/the-lost-foam-method-of-composite-fabrication/

Thanks, and yes, I have been looking into lost foam a lot recently as a matter of fact. Very cool things could be had, especially now that my foam lathe works. I'm thinking body tubes and the like, even fins. I've learned how to mold carbon fiber onto things when I used it on my toilet bowl, and can think of a few items I would like to make that could use lost foam method to create hollow carbon fiber shells of various aspects.
Lost foam would be ideal for making some of the molds I would like to have too.

hmm, lets see; caught a young cat(about 4 - 5 months) so it could be taken to a shelter. spent my morning and 1st part of the afternoon waiting for the ceiling to get above 3000' and...oh right, got my L2 out at Bong(Saturday).
Rex

hmm, lets see; caught a young cat(about 4 - 5 months) so it could be taken to a shelter. spent my morning and 1st part of the afternoon waiting for the ceiling to get above 3000' and...oh right, got my L2 out at Bong(Saturday).
Rex

Congrats on the L2!!!:clap:

Oh, and thanks for being kind to the Cat.

Put a set of fillets on a rocket. Uploaded CJ's Nike Apache file to rocketryfiles for all to use. Verified the P8000 motor file...

Back