What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finished up a motor mount for the LOC, sewed 16 nomex chute protectors (12" x 12") and bought a bigger 3D printer. :)

Flew another I-motor Tripoli record attempt flight yesterday. The wind was blowing about 10mph at launch and it turned quite a bit after clearing the tower. I didn't beat my last flight with it, but 14,038' with a CTI I224 isn't totally horrible either. Fun stuff!

[video=youtube;Np2yk-4uS3s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Np2yk-4uS3s[/video]

Flew another I-motor Tripoli record attempt flight yesterday. The wind was blowing about 10mph at launch and it turned quite a bit after clearing the tower. I didn't beat my last flight with it, but 14,038' with a CTI I224 isn't totally horrible either. Fun stuff!

That thing sounds almost like a .22 rifle firing. Love it! :headbang:

Working on my Tomach 54 sled today. I added a small rib to hold two screw switches and got one switch mounted. Once I get all the hardware located and mounted, I'll take a dremel to the sled and get some weight out.

wIgpW2Kl.jpg

I also added a socket head screw that will pin the sled so that my switch holes line up. The socket head will be below flush in the coupler, not visible on the outside. The screw will not be subject to any flight loads as the sled will be completely supported by threaded rod and the lid.

rtr8MXTl.jpg

ZoTNPR5l.jpg

Screw switch access will be through the payload tube, which will also serve as one of the vent holes.

itQt6LWl.jpg

I launched my first ever rockets! The two from the Estes Tandem X set, the Amazon and Crossfire at the Midland Rocketry Midland Sky event.

Crossfire flew A8-3, A8-3 (then told by RSO to use a bigger motor), B4-4 then C6-5. Even the A8-3s were satisfying, but the C6-5 was a seriously impressive flight.

received_10102240252847499.jpg

20170917_114205_005_01.jpg

received_10102240252283629.jpg

Amazon flew B4-4 then C6-3. The Klima B4-4 had a problem. The motor casing burned through around the nozzle plug and thrust was low. It nearly lawn darted into spectators, but everyone was paying attention and the chute popped just in time. The second flight on a C6-3 was much better and came down about 10m from the Crossfire's fourth flight.

20170907_065925.jpg

Youtube B4-4 doesn't quite go as planned.

20170917_140522.jpg

I launched my first ever rockets! The two from the Estes Tandem X set, the Amazon and Crossfire at the Midland Rocketry Midland Sky event.

Crossfire flew A8-3, A8-3 (then told by RSO to use a bigger motor), B4-4 then C6-5. Even the A8-3s were satisfying, but the C6-5 was a seriously impressive flight.

received_10102240252847499.jpg

20170917_114205_005_01.jpg

received_10102240252283629.jpg

Amazon flew B4-4 then C6-3. The Klima B4-4 had a problem. The motor casing burned through around the nozzle plug and thrust was low. It nearly lawn darted into spectators, but everyone was paying attention and the chute popped just in time. The second flight on a C6-3 was much better and came down about 10m from the Crossfire's fourth flight.

20170907_065925.jpg

[video=https://youtu.be/2jOkxs-3kxM]Youtube B4-4 doesn't quite go as planned.[/video]

20170917_140522.jpg

Welcome, welcome, welcome!! 👍🏻🚀

Good and bad rocket weekend. I got my new L2 card in the mail yesterday. But before I could use my new license, I started packing up my rocketry stuff today. We are moving to an apartment next month while our new house is being built. Nearly all of my rocket stuff is going into storage for the winter. Depressing, but the new house will have a huge unfinished basement that will become the rocketarium.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Cleaned and unpacked my rockets from Airfest. Straightened out all my OneBadHawk harnesses and stored until MWP

Good and bad rocket weekend. I got my new L2 card in the mail yesterday. But before I could use my new license, I started packing up my rocketry stuff today. We are moving to an apartment next month while our new house is being built. Nearly all of my rocket stuff is going into storage for the winter. Depressing, but the new house will have a huge unfinished basement that will become the rocketarium.

Cool on the new house, sad on the rocket hiatus. However, think of all the tremendous projects you can come up with in OR while you are waiting. Me thinks it is time you designed a minimum diameter 3 stage.

On Saturday I flew my modified 75mm BlackHawk to 37,789' on an M685. I posted more details in my build thread.

IMG_6436.jpg

Cleaned and unpacked my rockets from Airfest. Straightened out all my OneBadHawk harnesses and stored until MWP

Nick,,
Do me a favor,,
Ask Michael P what he does with my harnesses when he gets home from a launch.. lol..

Ima send him this thread in an email..

Teddy

Nick,,
Do me a favor,,
Ask Michael P what he does with my harnesses when he gets home from a launch.. lol..

Ima send him this thread in an email..

Teddy

So I am a bit anal. I disassemble my rockets completely, inspect for damage, wear and clean. The harnesses get a bath with laundry detergent and a bit of fabric softener then hung dry.

What can I say, when I get out of the hobby whomever buys my stuff will be getting well taken care of stuff.

So I am a bit anal. I disassemble my rockets completely, inspect for damage, wear and clean. The harnesses get a bath with laundry detergent and a bit of fabric softener then hung dry.

What can I say, when I get out of the hobby whomever buys my stuff will be getting well taken care of stuff.

Lolololol....

Thank you Michael...lol..

I still think yur a lill crazy...

Teddy

That's funny, the main Chute on the Ultimate QCC feels nasty and I planned on messaging you and asking you what you washed your gear in. I remember you posting somewhere that you did that. So thanks good to know. I'll do that in the morning, glad you responded so fast.

What's so anal about washing recovery gear? I do that too, it's just an annual thing for me, not after each flight. Be careful washing chutes though. Gentle cycle and mild detergent, or you will reduce the porosity of the fabric and and the chutes Cd.

Found free Estes Rocket Starter kit with lots of NIP motors on the side of the road for free!

Received my Madcow Formula 54 in fluorescent orange and black yesterday afternoon along with the matching Aero Pack 29mm retainer.

This will be my Halloween rocket if the grass greens up by then...only six weeks from now...

Laid out my first set of HPR fillets and I think they are going to turn out great!

I'm slowing gathering all the parts I'll need to fly this bird. Just missing an Altimeter, and deciding which motor to use... Thinking I might wait and see if there are any electronic sales coming up with the future holidays.

Cool on the new house, sad on the rocket hiatus. However, think of all the tremendous projects you can come up with in OR while you are waiting. Me thinks it is time you designed a minimum diameter 3 stage.

Since I have to fit my hobby activity in a small space for the next 6 months, I'm thinking this will be a good time to learn Arduino and/or Raspberry Pi. But I'm sure I'll find lots of time to plan some ridiculous projects in OR. An MD 3-stager would be awesome, but I think I'll start with an L3 project.

Since I have to fit my hobby activity in a small space for the next 6 months, I'm thinking this will be a good time to learn Arduino and/or Raspberry Pi. But I'm sure I'll find lots of time to plan some ridiculous projects in OR. An MD 3-stager would be awesome, but I think I'll start with an L3 project.

That's the spirit...L3, then your 3-stager can be O-N-M. :dark:

Ordered a couple of H and big G reloads, just because I can now. The flying season is pretty much over where I live, but I want to be ready in case there is an opportunity to try out my new L1 license before Spring.

Today I started my third rocket, a Cosmic Interceptor. I'm supposed to start with the motor mount tube but I'm making some mods and the parts are in the post. Next up are the wings, but I've decided to paper them and the paper is in the post. So I've jumped right ahead to body tube and intake cowl.

20170920_172619.jpg

20170920_172941.jpg

20170920_173229.jpg

20170920_180218.jpg

I acknowledge the gocart is ridiculous- I've turned it into a sanding block by glueing a sheet of 240 to the bottom!

Started to assemble components for next years Airfest project. I was so impressed with Kyle C's flight I decided to build my own carbon fiber 54mm MD to accommodate the Loki M1378 rocket killer. This flight sims to 45K' but I think that's a bit optimistic, one way to find out :shock: 5.4.3.2.1

20170920_141441.jpg

Started to assemble components for next years Airfest project. I was so impressed with Kyle C's flight I decided to build my own carbon fiber 54mm MD to accommodate the Loki M1378 rocket killer. This flight sims to 45K' but I think that's a bit optimistic, one way to find out :shock: 5.4.3.2.1

I endorse this plan, which probably means it is a terrible idea.

Back