What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Worked on my Estes Conquest and Fliskits L-13.

Received replacement parts from Jim Flis. USPS mangled the enveloped they were mailed in, but they were perfectly fine.

That is how rocketeers mark their territory. Grafitti is so 15 minutes ago.

Well, this one tree is just on the fenceline of our 500 x 800 ft. field. It's like a magnet. There are two up there now, and it's claimed 2-3 more over the last 2 years. Oaks are notoriously hard to get them out of too. The bark is particularly "Catchy" for shroud lines and shock cords.

Epoxied bulkhead into NC + foam filled. Once cured, attached to forward payload and AV-bay. After looking over the shear pins & rivets, decided to try first static test of dual deploy setup. First try did nothing - took a second try to realize that I didn't wait long enough before applying vacuum, the altimeter hadn't armed - second try worked great (big pop, NC launched 10+ feet). Very happy indeed!

Sanded Rocketpoxy fillets on my Ultimate Darkstar. I think I found something I like less than drilling holes in filament wound fiberglass tubing.
Watched Sharon stick fins into her Gizmo XL.
Sanded more fillets.
Put together a bunch of stuff to take the the AZ Rocket Team build session tomorrow. We will be taking the SUV, not enough room in the Trans Am.
Sanded more fillets. Wore out a pair of gloves and my fingers....

Time for you to invest in some Perma-Grit sanding tubes.

https://www.aircraft-spruce.com/catalog/topages/permagrithnd.php?clickkey=13743

Coarse grit works well for shaping, fine grit to smooth things out. Then follow up with the sandpaper of your choice for the finishing touch.

I will never go back to the old way.

Put my 38mm ASP WAC Corporal back together after removing the avbay from it to see what I could fit in it.

Finished the major repairs on the Pinkenstein (aka Gallifrey Falls No More, aka Mega Delta). It has a nose altimeter bay - brass insert ties the sled to the end of the eyebolt thread, and that black bit on top of the sled is a section of 3/8" gas line. Gives it a snug friction fit up in the nose.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1436051538.159789.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1436051505.431774.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1436051492.921997.jpg
    ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1436051492.921997.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 67
Launched three rockets at the park this morning. First two flew straight, fast and high! The wind caught one of them and it drifted over a mile into thick scrub brush, so we lost that one. So much for my Black Brandt III clone.

The final rocket, my Baby Bertha, had some issues as usual. I messed up the fins when I built it (it was my third build since returning) and I think the strong wind helped. Flew at a sharp upward angle, but landed safely.

I took advantage of Madcow's 4th special and picked up the Skipper that I have had my eye on for a long time. I really enjoyed the Squat that I built so I figured time to get another one of their kits.

Helped daughters aeronautic camp launch some rockets yesterday.

Also made some progress on some items on the bench.. 2nd layer of glass .. first sacrificial primer.. color sanded nose.

Kenny

1436059969626.jpg

1436059980633.jpg

1436059993413.jpg

Last edited:
I made a 100 & 200 ft cable for my homemade HP launch controller to go along with the 1000 ft cable I already made when I built the controller

After moving to a house, getting decently settled, having the kid sick, being sick myself for a few days, I FINALLY TOUCHED A ROCKET TODAY! Indeed, I added epoxy fillets to my V2 and decided I wanted to modify the nosecone to fit a sled for an altimeter and beeper in there.

Made some progress on my tubes today includng primer and a round of putty.

Then picked up the nose cone from my Garage Sale Rocket that burned up at ROCstock and finished color sanding then shot some clear .

Kenny

1436160242653.jpg

1436160252265.jpg

Over the weekend I rebuilt the Av-bay in my Madcow Sam Adams Patriot. It landed in the irrigation ditch at LDRS on Thursday and the bulkheads/coupler swelled up. Both the payload bay and booster sections were fine. So I took out the RRC3 and replaced it with a 2+ and rewired, also replaced the coupler and bulkheads. Good as new now and ready to fly. The RRC3 according to Jim Amos should be fine but I am going to send it to Missileworks for testing anyway.

Started modifying a 2.6 in. nosecone to store an electronic bay (for an altimeter and beeper) on the Estes V2. I used one of John Cocker's videos for inspiration: [video=youtube;WDjgq0hfsgw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDjgq0hfsgw[/video]

I received a package from Sandman today, containing custom cones and decals for two upcoming upscales:

BT70 Teros
WP_003417.jpg

BT70 EAC Firecat
WP_003418.jpg

And I also received a packet from Stickershock, containing decals for my PS2 Argent (now in primer) and Leviathan (to be built later):
WP_003419.jpg
The Argent decals are gold & dark red, to be applied over a metallic tan/champagne base color; the ones for the Leviathan are light & dark green, which I think will go on a silver and charcoal rocket...

Got my Kevlar / carbon 38 mm tube in the mail and discovered my AT RMS fits it like a glove!

I just placed an order with Belleville Hobby - they had the new Redstone for $14 and still had the now OOP D-Region T'hawk available for $25 (less than anyone on eBay). Since I don't expect to retrieve mine from the tree in Potter anytime soon, I'm anxious to start over. They also had a Space Shuttle kite on the discontinued page, so I ordered that and some motors. I've never been able to successfully work a kite, but maybe it'll make a cool windsock...

shot some primer on a Phoenix thats been sitting around for many years

Mounted an Eggfinder in the nosecone of my Ultimate Darkstar, plenty of room in there so I did it a little differently than previous versions.
Registered for Airfest.

Did a bit of sanding on the V2

(The lousy app auto rotates my picture...)

This is the paint job I'm thinking about for this baby. It is the test rocket from Tintin Destination Moon. Very inspired by the V2 obviously.

fusee_xflr6_1284805597.jpg

1436324862533.jpg

Last edited:
Back