What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2014-09-12112923_zps5edf55ce.jpg
cut some fin slots by hand.

Sorry 'bout the size o the photo. Doing all this through my phone. Now for a talk at the photo bucket settings.

2014-09-12112640_zps0aab6b95.jpg

Dry fit fins. No luck thumbnailing the pics through the android photo bucket app. Older, wanna-be smartphone but the only currently net connected device I have.

Papered the Basswood Fins for my 29mm Crossfire 29X.
Titebond II and 110# Cardstock.

Last edited:
2014-09-12112640_zps0aab6b95.jpg

Dry fit fins. No luck thumbnailing the pics through the android photo bucket app. Older, wanna-be smartphone but the only currently net connected device I have.

The photo size is fine, it fits the frame without leaking over.

Launched 6 times! of course, now I have to do some repairs, but at least the rockets got off the ground today.

Nothing. It has been that way, other than about 1.5 hours, since LDRS. Too busy with work, family, and home projects.

Mark Koelsch
Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Made a little 10mm x 5ns EX case on my lathe. Little aluminum nozzle too with entrance and exit cones.
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1410652743.299987.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1410652783.484940.jpgImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1410652754.914527.jpg

Alex

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1410652772.499310.jpg
    ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1410652772.499310.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 81
Cool, but this is not what we all envisioned when you announced your 18th birthday. 5 N/s is about 3 orders of magnitude off what I envisioned.
I know, I know but it gets harder and harder to test M motors in my back yard. This outta keep me entertained for the time being.

The lathe can make bigger things too :grin:
1896857_618089901637566_5859225993268781881_n.jpg

Alex

It is! But this is FG, blue tube and a bit of grey primer.

Alex

Made a little 10mm x 5ns EX case on my lathe. Little aluminum nozzle too with entrance and exit cones.
View attachment 184365
View attachment 184368View attachment 184366

Alex

Heheh , well Mr published MD Carbon Fabricator guy..thought it would be fun to poke fun and insuate you were considering Quantum tube for an L2 cert bird. ...

Serious ..your 10mm creation reminds me of an upscale cable cutter..

Kenny

Last edited:
Launched!

First launch, rocket went unstable before doing fine before on the same motor. I think she must be a no-wind bird. Might be better to retire and rebuild.

Second, finally got my Super Jart in the air. Simmed to just over 2,000ft on a G76G. Flight could not have gone better. The load did come with a Copperhead, so I learned firsthand why they have such a terrible reputation -- failed three times to light before someone gave me a Firstfire Jr.

Put up a Big Daddy on a F, and had the kevlar come loose from the centering ring on deploy. Both halves of the rocket were recovered with no damage.

Little 13mm bird kicked the engine and lawn darted. Pretty salvageable though I'll have to check the sims.

On paper I had a bit of a rough launch day, but to me everything feels pretty great. When there were flight issues, I learned something from them. The Super Jart going was something I've looked forward to for a while.

Watched the Episode of the PBS Documantary, Nazi Mega Weapons, about the V2 on Netflix.

Sold some trees so I can afford some APCP! *Itches arm, that stuff is like crack to me!:D

Last edited:
Shredded my min diameter at Mach 1.
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1410657157.810835.jpg
Got most of the pieces back. Motor casing and electronics are still in working order.

I went to our club's launch today! I flew a scratch-built, 3" diameter rocket, with a cluster of 2 H-160 skindmarks to about 2500 feet, according to the trusty Adept S2. I also flew my Tiny Pteradyctal on a G-76, a LOC Aura on an F-62, and another scratch built, 29 MM minimum diameter rocket on a CTI F-36. All great flights. I also had a small boost glider, but was distracted during the launch, and didn't see it fly. Sigh.. Fun day. Phil L.

Worked on a couple of rockets today. My "in progress" pile is getting a little out of hand. Need to finish a few. It's amazing how fast 30 min epoxy kicks off when its 110 deg!!! Working time was about 5 mins!!

Went through my range gear. Restocked the BP motor trays and loaded the Rocketmobile for tomorrow's LPR club launch. Taking my 8 year old great niece and 9 year old great nephew to launch a few rockets! If all goes well, the 9 year old will launch his Estes Majestic for the first time. I think we will start it off with an AT E20-7W and if that goes well, well try an Estes F15-6 BP.

Jerome :)

put fins on my phoenix and tried out the 'finger' attachment for my detail sander :).
Rex

phoenix 001.jpg

Got up and decided it was time to stop procrastinating on my Hangar-11 6" X-15. Have had much trepidation regarding the wing shrouds as the cut/fit is a "line of sight" operation and I'm not great at even aligning fins. Took the plunge and started cutting on my approximated marks. Surprisingly I nailed it--almost a perfect fit on both sides!

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1410703714.147336.jpg

Last edited:
The replacement nose cone for my MadCow 2.6" Honest John arrived, so I printed up a new set of scale spin pods today. I cleaned up the parts in the usual way, removing the base and supports and cleaning out the thruster nozzles. Just for fun, I dipped a Q-Tip in acetone and twirled it in the nozzles. That cleaned them up really well. I also wiped the face of the pod down with acetone because it is hard to sand or file around the raised nozzles. The other surfaces are flat, so a sanding block works just fine there. It sure beats trying to shape those trapezoidal plywood things that come with the kit into something that never quite looks right or consistent. I just need to chuck the nose cone up in my slotting rig and mark a set of guide lines every 90 degrees.

Back