What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finished and uploaded a video from this past weekends launch (first club launch of 2017!!) to Youtube:

[video=youtube;dtPR-oCVFZY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtPR-oCVFZY[/video]

I thought your build list during recovery was ambitious, looks like I was wrong!

Just wait till tomorrow, the glue up is curing right now for a nose cone that's not quite a secant ogive and about 16" long (to scale) and 3" diameter and made of solid basswood. My original plan for the NC fell through so I will be turning it on my wood lathe.

Did a low LPR launch for my kids' preschool. I don't care how many HPR launches I go to, nothing beats the collective "whoaaaaaaaa" of a couple dozen little kids as they watch their first rocket launch.

Them are looking sweet Rich!
I like the wind screen decal on the tail cone!
Never seen that before, it's a first!
Hope your recovery is going better than expected!

Recovery is going well, no pain meds or anti-nausea meds since day after leaving hospital. I have been fully mobile since about midnight the night of the surgery. Laproscopic Rouen-Y Gastric Bypass is pretty serious surgery but the doctors I used are some of the best and do about 300 procedures per year. The only thing keeping me from going back to work is the incision being fully healed (getting close), getting used to eating a 1/4 to 1/2 cup of food per meal (and the lack of energy that goes with it, but that gets better as the diet changes to more solid foods), and the removal of my lifting restrictions (still 3-4 weeks possibly). So lots more building time, I also started a scale-ish Nike Hercules 2-stage build yesterday, turning the nose cone is taking a bit of energy though since along with the surgery I have been dealing with Meralgia Paresthetica caused by my excess weight, being fat sucks but things are getting better as the weight comes off.

On the build front though I just stuck the last fin on a FatBoy clone with 24mm MMT and this evening energy permitting will cut the fins for a Mega Mosquito also with 24mm MMT and stronger fins....

Last edited:
Stickershocked the Patriot and clear coated with future. Color number 2 on the Thug with a little bit of pinstripes. Almost done with the winter builds.

Long Tom has arrived!

Loc's last cruiser just got delivered today and I am stoked for when I decide to start the Level 2 build.

I must admit its contents are a little puzzling. There weren't any centering rings included, but there's threaded rods, bulkheads, and an extra coupler for an ebay.
Also included is a sack of hardware I will investigate later, a black shock cord (nylon or kevlar? what does Loc use?) a 60" main, and an 18" drogue.
And a noticeable lack of instructions :cool:. This is going to be fun.

Even better, that handmade elliptical cone from rocketry warehouse fits like a glove in Loc 5.5" tubing.

IMG_20170516_185305122.jpg

Now I just have to decide if I want to build near stock or go all out and do the semi-scale Tomahawk conversion.
Either way, I haven't seen a Cruiser on the forum, so a build thread will happen.
Decisions.png

The question now: Will I get around to it in time to certify at NARAM next year (accepting an invite/challenge from Nasa Student Launch).

What did I do rocket wise today or yesterday or the last 3 weeks...NOTHING NOT A THING and kinda tired of it.

Living vicariously through all your post

Fitted some electronics to some of my 3D printed creations.

Sled for my CF Mongoose 54, and a protective case for my BRB 70 cm beacon (notice the beacon case has my call sign and frequency on it. These are printed in PETG. I am printing a similar case for a EggFinder mini now. The top of the BRB case was from before I got the first layer spacing correct which is why it is so rough.

Last edited:
...notice the beacon case has my call sign and frequency on it.
Looks good. Great idea about printing your callsign on there.

Whats the Kevlar loop on the BRB case for? Does that just tie the case to your harness or is it supporting other parts too?

Looks good. Great idea about printing your callsign on there.

Whats the Kevlar loop on the BRB case for? Does that just tie the case to your harness or is it supporting other parts too?

It is to link onto the shock cord. I wanted to make this swappable between rockets. I'm more likely to use it if it is easy.

One thing I forgot to mention is there are grooves on the inside of the outer BRB case that the sled locks into for extra support.

Last edited:
Built a Mega Mosquito w/24mm motor mount, FatBoy w/24mm mmt, and a Nova Payloader (semi-stock). Its fun how quickly a rocket put together with TBII can come together.

More fun with movie maker. I need to cap off my build thread of my L2 build with some final thoughts on the project, but before I have a chance to do that, here's the video I edited together of my L2 efforts.

[video=youtube;_1YlAIbiR9I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1YlAIbiR9I[/video]

Sanded primer on my Trajector fins in prep for an upcoming build with Accur8 skin. Sure is easier on larger MPR fins vs. the LPR stuff I'm used to working with.

Are you thinking of selling the cases you're making for the Eggfinder mini? I'm planning on an Eggfinder in the future and one of your cases will work nicely with my nosecone mods.

Fitted some electronics to some of my 3D printed creations.

Sled for my CF Mongoose 54, and a protective case for my BRB 70 cm beacon (notice the beacon case has my call sign and frequency on it. These are printed in PETG. I am printing a similar case for a EggFinder mini now. The top of the BRB case was from before I got the first layer spacing correct which is why it is so rough.

Very nice! I've been thinking of getting myself a 3D printer. May I ask what your setup is?

Very nice! I've been thinking of getting myself a 3D printer. May I ask what your setup is?

Thanks. If by setup you mean printer, I have a Prusa i3 Mk2S built 100% stock from kit (although I will be changing the nozzle for hardened steel soon before printing fluorescent ABS filament). If by setup you mean printing parameters that is a bit more complicated, but something like: Hatchbox PETG, 250-247C extrusion temp, 90C bed temp, 2 mm retraction with wipe, 10-30% fan speed, 60% fan speed on bridging, 0.25 layer height, 100% infill... 3D printing is a process of trial and error for sure.

Back