What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Flew my 24mm Patriot a couple of times on D12-3s.:)
This is the first launch, and if you make it full screen and look/listen closely, you can see the igniter retainer shoot out and bounce off the blast deflector.

[video=youtube;7DUWn3hupgY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DUWn3hupgY&feature=youtu.be[/video]

2 D12 Patriot Flights 001.jpg2 D12 Patriot Flights 004.jpg2 D12 Patriot Flights 002.jpg

Last edited:
Flew my 24mm Patriot a couple of times on D12-3s.:)

[video=youtube;4maIkJfQ2tQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4maIkJfQ2tQ&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Awesome I cant wait till I can try mine. I,m especially pumped about trying some re loads.

I just got done putting the first coat of primer on my Squat. I was pleased to see that there isn't a whole lot of spiral filling I need to do. After a good sanding, my guess is one more coat and sanding cycle and it will be ready for color.

Sanded more trouble spots then sprayed a coat of white primer. Just a few more spots to fix and then it's time for some glossy white.

IMG_1647.jpg IMG_1739.jpg

Received my order from AC supply and restocked my BP motor box with an additional 66 motors.

2015-03-28 19.20.34.jpg

Helped out at my club's last TARC oriented launch of the season. LCO'ed a lot of practice and qualification flights. Saw a couple of hart breaking failures. Had to DQ one team's final flight because of a hard boiled egg. Apparently a mix-up in the "grab an extra egg from the fridge" this morning. (They had a pretty good score on it too.)

Launched a couple of my own Art Applewhite 13mm mini cardstock rockets in-between TARC team flights. (A pinwheel and a scimitar)

Flew with the Radical Rocketeers here in NJ. We hadn't been able to fly since early January due to the harsh winter we had, so it was great to get out and have fun again. I got to fly my recently completed Formula 54 rigged up with an altimeter in the nose and a cable cutter. Glad to say it worked like a champ! :)

Jim Z

I've been working on an aerofoiled fin - I've sanded balsa sheet to shape in the past, but trying something a little different :)

01-cut_small.jpg 03-cut_small.jpg 04-assembled_small.jpg 05-papered_small.jpg 07-papered_small.jpg

The fins is 60mm x 60mm - I'll build these onto a BT50 rocket with an 18mm motor mount. Nothing huge, but good for a test run!

Krusty

Nothing yet today, but we were busy over the weekend. Saturday we flew all six rockets that we took to the Eagle Eye launch. Sharon got the first flight off on her drunk V-2. Built last year at Airfest under Wildman's "supervision". Flew great on an H54. No altimeter, but looked like it went to about 2500 ft. My first flight was the Estes Argent I modified with a RRC2+ in the transition for dual deploy. It flew on an AT H115 Dark Matter SU to 2935 ft. Back to Sharon's Dark Jart, it flew on an AT I211 to 3987 ft. Main got hung up on the shear pins and it landed hard. Cracked a fin fillet. Next flight was my Blackhawk 54. First flight after repairs, so I put the smallest motor I had, a K454 Skidmark. Flew to 11,484 ft. Sharon's last flight was her 4" "Jimbo Jart". It flew on a K513 Fast Jack to 7079 ft. Got our new Fade to Black launch pad all dirty. All those flights landed fairly close, we walked to them for recovery. Last flight for me was my 4" RW X-Celerator, flying on a K750 Red Lightning. Nice flight to 8750 ft. Wind took it about a half mile down range, so we drove out to recover it. Perfect conditions for flying, clear skies and no wind until late in the afternoon. Five dual deploy flights and one motor deploy, and we were done by 4 pm.
Yesterday I emptied out the truck and cleaned motor cases. Also cleaned rockets and did a few minor repairs. Sharon rebuilt the recovery in her Dark Jart, took out the tubular nylon and put in kevlar. Made the whole package smaller so the main chute fit in the payload instead of the nosecone. I vacuumed up the dog barf and debris all over, the house smells like black powder. Life is good!

Finished my "A" Super-Roc for tomorrow's launch. 18mm diameter and 27 grams dry; 44 grams loaded. Sim run indicates ~350 feet. With the expected winds tomorrow, I'll be tickled pink to get 325.

Couple days late, but on Saturday I flew this guy and achieved 328 feet...and won the contest!

I also flew my LOC Weasel on an F31 and then I did LCO chores for a while.

I opened my new cti hardware and drooled a little. Ordered the plan pack for the skunk wulf and then realized I may need an intervention cause I seem to have become addicted.:y:

Transferred RocketPoxy to ketchup bottles... That was a sticky mess... Thank goodness for Happy Hands.
Foamed the back-end of my Wildman Patriot, and JB Welded on the aft centering ring and retainer.
Debated whether or not to do external fillets on said WM Patriot.
Decided that since I now have 6 different kinds of epoxies that I should go ahead and order another HP kit. Just cause.

I've been working on an aerofoiled fin - I've sanded balsa sheet to shape in the past, but trying something a little different :)

Krusty

What are you using for skin? I've been experimenting with paper as skin over laser-cut ribs and the amount of torsional rigidity is impressive.

Ari.

IMG_3816.jpg

What are you using for skin? I've been experimenting with paper as skin over laser-cut ribs and the amount of torsional rigidity is impressive.

Ari.

Regular copy paper - nothing fancy. I'm planning on using either super glue or dope as a sealant.

If tests at this scale work out, I'll upscale for HPR. I'm considering using thin balsa for the skin - 1mm or so and glassing over that. I figure balsa will avoid the dimples that appear between the ribs.

But for now, small scale and paper is where I'm at! The other thing I want to work out is how to make a clipped delta or similar shaped wing - need to figure out how to size all the ribs! I figure that I'll have to start looking more into model airplane plans.

Krusty

Decided that not every rocket needs a heavy eye bolt, and went with this instead.

Kevlar silliness 2015-03-30 001.jpg

Last edited:
Made my third trip in as many days to Sixty Acres to be the official NAR observer for TARC flights.

After that was done, did a couple of quick model flights for AltimeterThree testing. Here's a slightly post-processed video of the liftoff of one of them: https://youtu.be/zVmdPR3bqaw

Decided that since I now have 6 different kinds of epoxies that I should go ahead and order another HP kit. Just cause.

This is why I buy the motor retention or chute protector first.. "well, now I have to find something to go with this!"

Last edited:
Completed painting on the “Yellow Rose”.

Built the motor mounts and cut the lower motor mount housing for “Push-Me-Pull-You”.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1427841510.040438.jpg
Stared at my 2 new Stratologger CF units. Now have 2 old SL100's and 2 CF's. Considerably less altimeter swapping in my future.

Back