What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the advice. I added a tether between the balsa bulkhead and nosecone. I put a couple heavy duty fishing snaps in the tether for the nose cone and altimeter. I lost an altimeter to a loose nose cone about 15 years ago. Never again.

If your son is doing the same science project my son is, make sure you secure (tether) that altimeter in some way. I had mine fall from 300' onto tarmac multiple times when the nose cone, or the balsa coupler/bulkhead at the other end of the altimeter bay came loose. (I finally cracked the LCD the fifth time it fell.)

Nice job.

I passed my HAM Technician License exam today. Radio Direction Finding, APRS, and on-board real-time telemetry, here I come!

(34/35 - and I know which one I missed, it was the only question I wasn't 100% sure on, and I waffled on it a bit. Almost changed my answer, should have done so.)

Went to the Kindle Store and got an ecopy of Modern High Power Rocketry II. Figured I would reread it as part of my studying for the L2 test.

I bought a new toolbox, then transferred my primary tools.

Also finished structural work on my Sprint XL (tentative nickname, "Grace"). Using a drill press on cardboard tubing is a tad surreal, but I wanted those rail guides in straight.

The second color layer on my Big Daddy "Faction" has gone down, but I think I'll sand it right back off... I messed up the mask edges. Also, I have a feeling the cheap white mask tape will pull off some of the base color.

Now it's time to start working on the Stickershock order.

TopRamen, your Megaman Crossfire looks fantastic.

When the local rocket club scrubbed their launch Saturday due to rains in the forecast, my buddy JJSR and I decided to grab a few rockets and go over to the rocket friendly park and launch a few on our own before the rains came. It was fun as I haven't had much of a chance to fly in awhile.

Rocket motivated, I came home later in the day and continued work on my 54mm minimum diameter build. Its just about done, except for paint and a little more wiring on the av bay. I hope to ground test the ejection charges on it tomorrow. :)

Jim Z

Sanded the first primer coat on my Magg. Hopefully next weekend will be nice enough to prime it again.

Designed a flying saucer in solidworks, stripped my CNC mills coolant system down to fix a leak, then cleaned, greased and tightened up the CNC mill :)

This is suppose to be Viking 7. The nose come is wrong, I just slapped an ogive onto it until I can find the correct style, which is sort of half ogive and half conical. I think I have my wiring tunnels too far apart as well. I designed this in Rocksim from photos. I think I'll take another run at this and see if I can't make it a little more accurate.
Viking 7-1.jpgViking 7-2.jpg

Was it about painting?

:)

Me=psychic.

:rofl:

I glued in some more stuff on my rockets...

Got to fly with the HOTROCs folks today on a beautiful day and an insanely perfect field...freshly plowed, soft, flat farmy goodness. Anyhow, flew "Fav'rit 2 B" on an H242T to 1209 ft. Clean altimeter controlled deploy at apogee with audible motor backup +2 sec. I set it up single deploy since it wasn't going too high. It flirted with the only obstruction on the field, power lines, but missed by 50+ ft. Landing was in soft dirt, and there was no damage...maybe I'll find a scrape after I clean it, but no complaints.

Congrats!!! :wave: :w: :clap: !!!

Was it about painting?

:)

Me=psychic.

:rofl:

I glued in some more stuff on my rockets...

hahahhaha that's funny. actually yes and no. I wrote one on painting and now I am writing one on staging composites:):):)

How'da know??????

Finally got around to sanding the Bondo off of my LOC Viper III. Then I did the Rigging for the Chute. Also took the old Streamer and Rubberband Shock Cord out of my Estes Patriot. I'm going to replace it with Kevlar and a nicer Mylar Streamer.

Son and I made paper airplanes for his Shuttle Express, launched it, Yankee, Metalizer, and a scratch-built (Home made Skytwister 3). Too much drag on the Shuttle Express...near disaster on 2 launches!

Also, finally warm enough to paint the replaced fins on my scratch built BT-56 Flame (clear pay loader), and primered an Astron Elliptic 2 and scratch-built Polaris (old school version), while my son installed the motor mount and fins on his new Big Daddy that he aims to fly at Thuderstruck.

Cleaned up my stuff from yesterday's launch. Did some sanding and a little painting. Ordered three Estes blastoff packs from AC Supply. That should mostly cover our A-C needs for the rest o the year.

(This weekend) built and installed the motor mount on the Partizon (minus aft ring). Also made the alignment jig:

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1396233658.603845.jpg

Then installed the fins. JB Weld on anything touching the motor mount, T-88 everywhere else (I am a chronic over-builder, but it will be a solid can for certain).

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1396233894.370840.jpg

I started building a "Deacon" and a "Mini-X," both two-stage models from plans found in ~50 year old Model Rocket News issues. They are "parts elimination vehicles,' in that they only use parts I have on hand. Usually my builds start with a huge pile of parts arriving from BMS or Semroc.

I intended to cut the fins, but I think the printer and / or Windows scaled the size of the patterns down a little.

New shipment.jpg
I just love getting Rocket stuff in the mail!
2 Madcow Ebay kits, 2 RRC2+ Altimeters, a 12" and 18" drogue, plus a 42" Heavy Duty chute from Julie at Spheracutes, 2 38mm Aeropacks, and 3"x29mm CRs.

My wife was out with friends on Friday night and Saturday, so it was a project kind of weekend.

I helped my son finish building his Avion science project kit and got it painted.
Painted the noses, payload sections and transitions of my son's Ventris and my daughter's Argent.
Studied the instructions for my daughter's Pigasus.
Played around with my our new Altimeter 2.
Finalized the drawings for the laser cut parts for my high drag bomb rocket.
Installed an SSD in my home computer since the 500GB HDD had 2GB free space. I can't sim rocket projects or design parts in CAD without a computer, right?

Steady progress on my 2X (2.6") blue tube based Blue Bird Zero. I think that makes it a Big Blue Blue Bird Zero. Hand-turned nose cone is done and glassed, made half a dozen rings, assembled motor mount with rings and kevlar bridle, cut all fins, slotted tube with multi-max saw (which worked great).

Got a box from SEMROC, parts for a deep space transport (3x18mm). All good except for the non-linearized bt-55 courtesy of the USPS. I only needed 18" of the 30" tube, but of course they struck dead center. :(. This is not meant to trigger a flaming of the USPS, I'm of the S**t happens occasionally camp, and besides I think my problem comes down to one particular delivery guy.

image.jpg. Only so much CA and Bondo can do, and this is beyond its reach.

Also ordered some kevlar from Fuddrucker.

Back