What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unpacked the boxes we got from Wildman at Airfest, we might have been a little over our max trailer weight on the way home....

067.jpg

Yeah, there are more 54mm loads hiding behind the boxes.

068.jpg

We also swapped a 1 grain 98mm casing for a 4 grain casing while we were there. Fortunately, Wildman didn't have it with him, so it will be shipped. Sharon did get a 98mm CTI M2505 White Thunder for the Darkstar Ultimate I have yet to build, and the new 75mm L395 Mellow for the Mongoose.
As you can see, I failed miserably at keeping Sharon out of Wildman's trailer without me being present... Not sure that would have worked anyway.
When we got home, there was another box from Balsa Machining waiting for us. Apparently, it took two of our neighbors to get it inside, having shown up early from the pre-order we made last month.

069.jpg

I think we are set for the rest of the year, with five multi-day launches we plan to attend in the Southwest.

:y: Yeah every time I saw you or Sharon ya'll were in Tim's trailer.:wink:

Unpacked the boxes we got from Wildman at Airfest, we might have been a little over our max trailer weight on the way home....

067.jpg

Yeah, there are more 54mm loads hiding behind the boxes.

068.jpg

We also swapped a 1 grain 98mm casing for a 4 grain casing while we were there. Fortunately, Wildman didn't have it with him, so it will be shipped. Sharon did get a 98mm CTI M2505 White Thunder for the Darkstar Ultimate I have yet to build, and the new 75mm L395 Mellow for the Mongoose.
As you can see, I failed miserably at keeping Sharon out of Wildman's trailer without me being present... Not sure that would have worked anyway.
When we got home, there was another box from Balsa Machining waiting for us. Apparently, it took two of our neighbors to get it inside, having shown up early from the pre-order we made last month.

069.jpg

I think we are set for the rest of the year, with five multi-day launches we plan to attend in the Southwest.

Wow, will have to call you FyrWrxz..is there anything you didn't buy ?

Looks like a good haul .. the M2505 is a sensible motor for the UDS ..although I like the 4G 98mm choices too.

Glad you are all back safe and am looking forward to some stories.

Kenny

Placed a fourth order with allrocketengines.ca, what a nice online shop!

Wow, will have to call you FyrWrxz..is there anything you didn't buy ?

Looks like a good haul .. the M2505 is a sensible motor for the UDS ..although I like the 4G 98mm choices too.

Glad you are all back safe and am looking forward to some stories.

Kenny

Yeah, we didn't buy any Estes motors. Have plenty of those.
I asked Wildman what his favorite motor for the Ultimate was, and he came back with the M2505.
Your stories start here:

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?69259-Reflections-on-Airfest-XX&p=754621#top

:y: Yeah every time I saw you or Sharon ya'll were in Tim's trailer.:wink:

That's because you were camped out in there, we had to move your sleeping bag out to find anything!

That's quite a lot of product, Wayne. Did you leave anything for the other rocketeers? LOL!

You obviously have never been in Wildman's trailer. It's like the ultimate candy store for rocket junkies. We didn't even put a dent it what he has in there. I just have to figure out a way to keep Sharon from buying him out on the last day of the launch... Or NOT!

Last edited:
This is great news Wayne! I been waiting for a motor dealer in AZ for a long time, no more hazmat shipping LOL!

Sanded fins on the Critical Mass, glued the bottom centering rings on the two motor tubes and added fillets to the motor mounts.

We took this stock Madcow torrent nose cone...
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1409795383.524458.jpg

And made this modification...
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1409795473.524556.jpg

Now we have room for a chute it the payload section.

Willie

Built a launch pad out of PVC and painted my Aerotech Tomahawk with the flat white base coat.

Launching rockets (or missiles in my case) is so easy a chimp could do it. Read a step, do a step, eat a banana.

Sent from my iPad Air using Rocketry Forum.

Have you been listening in to my messages to Ken Rico? We were just talking about adding a few bins to the new trailer and opening "Wildman's West".....

I like the sound of "Wildman's West" if you need any help I am looking for a part time job. :wink:

Cue the fanfare!

My longer than a marathon run project to build a new rocketry workbench is DONE!

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

And the crowd goes wild!

Today I bit the bullet (guns & rocket pun) and pulled the trigger (another G&R pun) on the necessary 3/4" black pipe parts to construct the shopping cart handle and attached it to the workbench so that I can wheel it around as needed.

View attachment 183346View attachment 183347
View attachment 183348View attachment 183349

Please note there are rockets, cradles, and miscellaneous plywood for fins/centering rings inside the bench already.

I am not a cabinet maker. I am a wood butcher.

Went to the Joann Fabric Store and got a Yard of Nylon Ripstop to make Parasheets out of. Also went to the Hardware Store and picked up another Wedge Sanding Sponge.:)

Nylon 003.jpg

Last edited:
Advanced the Critical Mass build:

- Added last fillet to bottom centering rings of both motor mounts (booster and second stage)
- Adjusted the mount rings of the booster motor mount centering rings (needed some sanding)
- Glued the second stage's motor mount in place
- Papered the 8 fins (booster and second stage)

Found an indoor workshop with a fume hood where I will be able to spray paint my rocket in any weather, including winter :)

Finished, finally, my first MPR kit, an Aerotech IQSY Tomahawk. Now to get some reloads this weekend....

Launching rockets (or missiles in my case) is so easy a chimp could do it. Read a step, do a step, eat a banana.

Sent from my iPad Air using Rocketry Forum.

Got some rail guides on the Mega Der Purple Max and then hit with some primer.

Kenny

1409897679153.jpg

1409897691631.jpg

Package #2 from SEMROC arrived today. 5 more nosecones, 5 transitions and three 30" BT55 tubes. One of those I have already fitted a SEMROC BC-1367 nosecone. Pulled a 18" piece of BT 50 plus a leftover length of 7.5" from the supply and a coupler for the motor/stuffer tube. 4 centering rings to add stiffness down the length. About 37.5" long with a 25.25" stuffer tube. First step is to join the 2 stuffer tubes together with Gorilla glue on the coupler and the inside of the BT50 dampened with a wet paper towel. I then tape the tubes into the "V" of a piece of angle iron and let dry. The Gorilla Glue foams and fills all the gaps then sets up. Best by far way I've found to put couplers together. Next step tomorrow :)

Should be able to fly on a D12-3 to a CTI 24mm G... if I never want to see it again...

My 4" Madcow Removeable Altimeter Bay for my Madcow Frenzy arrived today and I unpacked it a few minutes ago.

I bought the Frenzy on Black Friday in 2012 and it's still in the unopened bag...

*sigh*

Editing Freedom launch videos...
Uploading Freedom videos...

Last edited:
Got a cool Space Book(Cosmos, A Field Guide) for $.50, a BT-80 Nose Cone in the Mail, a BT-??? Nose Cone from the Hobby Shop, Some Heat Shrink Tubing for Shroud Lines, and a new Compass.

CoolBookNC 002.jpg

Last edited:
Met a goal I've had since the middle of last year - I rolled my first 'glass tube, and hopefully will be able to use it for my upscale Crossfire build. My dad came out and lent a hand (thankfully!), and was very interested in the process. Hopefully I did everything right!

Back