What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not much rocketry-wise today except cutting a fin alignment jig out from a sheet of foam board. I used one of the payload-bay.com apps to fit my Madcow Frenzy, printed out two of the sheets, spliced them together and taped them to the foam boad. Using a steel straight edge and sharp Exacto knife I cut out the outline. A little touch up with the sandpaper to adjust the fit to the body tube and I'm ready to go.

Spent enough time to watch Romancing the Stone and GI Joe Retaliation hand stitching three 1/4" tubular kevlar recovery harnesses, a 2 loop, a 3 loop (both 20') and a shorty 24" two loop for my parachute to NC ( I like getting the swivel away from the NC a bit, and it gives me some additional length after stuffing the chute burrito into the airframe.

Can't say enough good things about my first experience with Wildman, I ordered the kevlar and it didn't show up, so I called and talked to Jackie, she said it would be shipped immediately, about 20 mins later she calls me back, the reason it hadn't shipped previously was I reversed the last two digits on my credit card number (all my bad).

Last edited:
the Wildfolks are nice to deal with...only downside is listening to whimpering wallets :). when in his trailer.
Rex

the Wildfolks are nice to deal with...only downside is listening to whimpering wallets :). when in his trailer.
Rex

Thank goodness I live in WA state so his trailer is far...far...away, however the darn internet reaches all the way to him.

Worked on a 4" electronics bay that I design a year or so ago. Felt good doing rocket stuffs again... It was originally designed for dual SL100 altimeters, and now I see that the SL100 is obsolete... I have one SL100 NIB, now I just need one more. Newer ebays will be designed for MissileWorks products.

I like this - got details?
Where do you get them? Special tool needed? etc?

Hi Scott. I get the ferrules from McMaster-Carr. The ones I use in that picture are these:

https://www.mcmaster.com/#7950k43/=wfnsvk

As to tools and technique, this post from the first time I used them has some detail:

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?63897-Upscale-Fliskits-Flea-The-Tick-HPR-build&p=762049#post762049

I currently use the crimp edge of my wire stripper. But I do own a crimping frame (used for network and coax cables). If I find a ferrule die that fits it I would probably purchase one. But for now, crimp with my current tool and then snip to length seems to work fine. Really toughens up the connection and reduces the chance of both loose connection and a stray strand of wire wreaking havoc.

Got the fins cut, body tube sanded and marked, and chose a nose for my MD 24mm.
I'm making two sets of fins. One of basswood and the other of glassed balsa. I'm doing it this way just to be able to compare the weight of the two for reference purposes. Once they are weighed, I'll go ahead and glass the basswood set and use them for a second MD 24mm.
Might as well build a couple of them while I'm in the mood for this style of rocket.

MD24mmTRI 001.jpgMD24mmTRI 002.jpg

I need to clean the Benchtop before anything else happens.

Spent a couple hours researching Minimum Diameter 24mm Rockets.:p

Some of my favorite rockets. The shorter the better,less drag. This rocket is 20" long and does almost 5K. on the 3-grain pro motor.
[video=vimeo;123000394]https://vimeo.com/123000394[/video]

Thanks for the strap wrench suggestion, Kit. I'll go pick up a set today. (Now I've got 2 stuck forward closures.)

Got the conduits on my Aerobee Hi after sanding them all with 400 grit.

I also got my membership stuff from Tripoli. Woohoo!

Nate

Best I could do is Discount Rocketry has parts:

https://www.discountrocketry.com/model-rocket-parts-vaughn-brothers-rocketry-parts-c-7_782.html

32" long with a payload bay. Discount Rocketry has the cone, they even have the 38mm and 54mm cone.

Thanks. I already went ahead with the building.
I saw the Discount Rocketry parts, but I already have the stuff I need to satisfy my needs.
24mmMDTRI 001.jpg

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?124127-Just-A-Simple-24mmMD-Build

Last edited:
Contacted the TCRA about taking my HAM radio test at their licensing session on Saturday morning :)

Nate

Took some pictures and posted them here. Worked a bit on the E-bay for my Hawk’s Hobby “Texas Thunder”. Started gathering all the parts I need for my next scratch built cluster “Push-Me Pull-You”.

Mostly I spent the day re-potting plants. I inherited a small “Hen & Chicks” from my mother a couple of years back and while the original Hen died; before it passed it had already produced so many Chicks that even having given a dozen or more away I still have bunch that keep growing and making more Chicks.

So far it hasn’t spoken nor have any of the local pets or children gone missing but I suspect it’s only a matter of time. “Feeed Meee!!”

Applied more Bondo Spot and Glazing Putty than expected to correct the voids/lines/flaws in the fillets on my Polecat Goblin 5.5 but I'm optimistic that a bit of sanding will give me the nice smooth surface I want.

Sanding and priming tomorrow.

Didn't get as much done today as Mrs. OD and I went out to lunch today and had garlic steak sandwiches with a plate of ravioli on the side. The old restaurant is a local landmark and is now run by the great-grandchildren of the founders. Continuity is a good thing.

Seriously awesome. Now you need a Bunsen to complete the team.

Bunsen-Beaker-web.jpg

Well, I emailed back and forth with Gary Rosenfield about the L1000. I then posted the announcement here, on the TRA list, and on the Tripoli Wisconsin website.

I did some work on my V2 Sport kit

I worked on the electronics bay for my L3 rocket.

Between Friday and today, I churned out 12 more Guillotines and shipped them off to Colorado. Buy 'em now before I raise my prices! :surprised:

I heated a troll doll's arms with a torch. (Yesterday, actually.)

Where is your modesty? Showing photos like that on a forum with children! Haha :roll: The rocket looks good, can't wait to see it fly.

Today i received my order of JST plugs for my av-bay.

Back