What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fillet work on two rockets. Continued my search for white lettering for the Honest John clone. Honed my skills cutting body tube with my scroll saw.

Painted, 3 primered with Rustoleum 2X , battleship grey this time. This might go on thickest of the 4 primers they make now, it just wouldn't run :) I'm also knocking out a small BT55 rocket to fly on 1/2A3-2, I bought a blast-off pack of 24 and need a few rockets designed for them. I'll be sanding down the Black Brant ll for a second coat of primer tomorrow, if the weather holds :p

Minimal activity rocketry-wise today.

I cut up a number of food stuff packages to recycle the cardboard for use as mixing plates for epoxy. A 5"x5" square works pretty well for me. Saltine cracker boxes are just about the right size.

Also stopped at the Sportsman's Warehouse and picked up a fluorescent pink polyvinyl fishing rod mesh sleeve that I will recycle into motor hardware sleeves. It's October/Breast Cancer Awareness Month and I will be flying my fleet of flouro pink rockets at October Skies this weekend. Anyone who shops fishing stops and sees these things should know that the large size product fits 54mm hardware quite comfortably. I don't have any 75mm stuff so I can't say it will fit for sure but it does stretch.

Well I have noticed a lot of signature blocks with total Ns launched, etc. I have only been a member for a couple of months but
it peeked my interest , so I went to my Rocket Review site where I record all my flights and there is was a list of all my flight data
pretty cool, now I feel like a more seasoned Rocketeer.

SO far 2014: 1548 Ns 50 Flights A-5,B-4,C-4,D-15,E-4,F-12,G-4

I just keep checking in every day and I learn something new every time I visit...

Thanks all

Kevin

Today I finally got my tube fin dual deploy conversion sorted and have devised a plan for proceeding with this almost two year old project.

Worked on finishing the LOC 3" alt bay kit and added a few bits and pieces from Doghouse Rocketry. Now it's a matter of populating the sled and wiring up the Adept22. Payload bay needs to be primed, painted, clear coated, and the nose cone needs an internal coupler and tracker bay.

Even though I passed the L2 test, I wanted to go back and look at the questions again. So I did.

And got the Tubes Coupled.
Also got the Fin Templates cut out and dry fitted the MMT Pieces after replacing the Tubes with heavier Tubing.

TYKON10ANNIHILATOR 003.jpg

Placed request all week for old SkyRipper hardware, and found all three available systems that SkyRipper produced in 29mm; 38mm & 54mm. With that, I was also able to come up with enough reloads for each system to keep me flying SkyRipper until I find a viable solution for the hardware... more than likely a life of research hybrid work.

I also received my Raptor kit from Binder Design, which will be my "winter is coming" build.

Putting some Rocket Poxy externals on the RED ALERT tonight..one more set to go now.

Kenny

1413514352214.jpg

Finished my Estes Star Trooper. Needed to create a theme around the bright red paint, so I went with the Polish flag. (Who was the joker at Centuri who chose green for this tiny thing anyway?)

Last edited:
Finished my Estes Star Trooper. Needed to create a theme around the bright red paint, so I went with the Polish flag. (Who was the joker at Centuri who chose green for this tiny thing anyway?) Pic included this time...

1413530751338.jpg

Finished my Estes Star Trooper. Needed to create a theme around the bright red paint, so I went with the Polish flag. (Who was the joker at Centuri who chose green for this tiny thing anyway?) Pic included this time...

That looks Awesome!

Masked off and painted the one red wing on my Loc Hi Tech, which is otherwise black. It'll be called the "night fury" in honor of How to Train your Dragon. Will paint on the skull and crossbones this weekend and call it done.

Got a little box on my porch this afternoon containing my new Madcow Fiberglass Pike Mini!

Finished the MMT Assembly for my Tykon 10 Annihilator. It can handle anything from Friction Fit/Tape Thrust Ring D12 BP Motors on up to Composites with built in Thrust Rings. I also made the Inner Wall of the Tubes Clipless, so as to be able to use any length Motors. The remaining Clip that hangs out the Rear was kept to allow for additional area to Tape Motors to/in. I could have used "All-Thread", like on my LOC Viper III, but I did'nt have any Stainless on hand and just wanted to get this built. The Three modified Clips also weigh less than a section of All-thread with Washer and Nut, and since I was already building heavy otherwise...
I used the lessons learned from my Tan-SAM Dual 24mm Build to make this MMT what I wished that one was.

TYKONMMT 001.jpg

TYKONMMT 002.jpg

TYKONMMT 006.jpg

TYKONMMT 007.jpg

It's not glued in yet, just Dry fitted, as I still have other Design Parameters to work out on the Tail Section.

Last edited:
Saw someone on here paint a rocket like a traffic cone. Since I am a Traffic Engineer by day I thought that would be cool to do. So I painted my Wildman Sport like a cone complete with reflective strip! :cool:

IMG_8521.jpg

Also the UPS man left a Rocketry Warehouse 38 Special at the door so I created a Rocksim file for it and got the motor mount installed.

Packed the car for my trip down to October Skies tomorrow morning.

Good thing I checked the google maps trip manager...looks like a section of Hwy 99 is closed. Unknown if it will be open tomorrow so I'll be taking I-5.

Tomorrow morning should a rise & shine, and then hit the road.

I prepped for October Skies tomorrow. Packed the van. Measured out a couple ejection charges. Cut some stand offs out of aluminum tubing. Packed lunch.

I also took the Tripoli L2 practice test online and got 91/100. Not bad considering I haven't studied for it.

UPS dropped off two Rocketry Warehouse 38 Special kits. And I put together another LCD Rx from Eggtimer rocketry, this one is a little different.

Getting ready to roll out to the launch :) After years of not going out twice in two weeks :D I have an H128-10 ready to go in a BT70 sized Black Brant ll and I think I'll fly the BT60 Nike Smoke on a D12-3(it's kinda heavy)

Finished the MMT Assembly for my Tykon 20 Annihilator. It can handle anything from Friction Fit/Tape Thrust Ring D12 BP Motors on up to Composites with built in Thrust Rings. I also made the Inner Wall of the Tubes Clipless, QUOTE] What's holding or how is the clip attached to the MMT? Did you bend the front end back the other way to hook onto the CR?
On my TRF Ball Buster, I put a home made baffle in,well,it didnt have enough free area to allow the gas to pass and it build enough presser up,it blew the motor out and in doing so,it ripped the bent forward end of the clip down thru the lenght of the motor tube. I was surprised it didnt blow the body tube apart.

Finished the MMT Assembly for my Tykon 20 Annihilator. It can handle anything from Friction Fit/Tape Thrust Ring D12 BP Motors on up to Composites with built in Thrust Rings. I also made the Inner Wall of the Tubes Clipless, QUOTE] What's holding or how is the clip attached to the MMT? Did you bend the front end back the other way to hook onto the CR?
On my TRF Ball Buster, I put a home made baffle in,well,it didnt have enough free area to allow the gas to pass and it build enough presser up,it blew the motor out and in doing so,it ripped the bent forward end of the clip down thru the lenght of the motor tube. I was surprised it didnt blow the body tube apart.

Thanks for Quoting me, as I did not realize that I had called my Rocket "Tykon 20" It's supposed to be "Tykon 10". Don't know why I used a 2 instead of a 1.:confused:
Anyhow, to answer your Question, what I did with the end of the Clip that is supposed to go into the Motor Tube, was to simply bend it flat so that it lays flush against the Motor Tube. The Top Centering Ring does not go over the Clip, but rather stops right at it, and is infact how I determined where to place the Top CR. The Clip is glued into place against the Tube however, then Papered Over with 110# Cardstock.
If for some reason a Motor was to blow out the Rear, it would likely bend the Retention Hook end of the Clip or pull the entire Clip free.

I'm not going to use a Baffle in this Bird, since it has Three Motors blowing Ejection Charges at the same time. That would make for a short life for most Baffles, and I did'nt feel like having to engineer some new untested Design. Instead, this one will just have a slightly reinforced Chute Shelf to prevent CG Shift during Launch and I'll just use Wadding.
I did'nt use a Baffle in my Tan-SAM either.

P.S. Sent you a PM about those Zombie Bumper Stickers.

Last edited:
Back