What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice Kit, love the colors kind of a grape theme going on there! What are the colors/brands used?

The paint was Testor's One Coat Lacquer that's sold in tiny 3 oz rattle cans. Used primarily for plastic car models, I guess. The green is "Lime Ice" and purple is called "Purple-Licious".

Nice paint but quite expensive at $5.29 a can (2012 dollars).

BTW, those are the colors the original Super Neon XL kit instructions called for and the package artwork used. I ditched the finlets as tube fin rockets have enough drag as it is.

The upgraded HPR version was built with LOC Precision tubing, motor mount parts, nose cone and Aeropac motor retention hardware so it's a "bit" heavier than the standard SNXL. Flies very well on G53FJ motors (1100') and H90's (2100'). Gets out of Dodge in a hurry on the H motor. An easy L1 rocket before the days of quick building Crayon Rockets from Bay Area Rocketry.

Got my Patriot mini in the mail! Now seeing if I can go about making it dual deploy capable...

Yesterday, I finished putting the glue fillets on a mild upscale of the BSG Laser Torpedo, and installed the recovery harness/chute. Its ready to fly, though still naked.
22519611674_977cd7832a.jpg
23128337652_eea9777a63.jpg

And I received these from eRockets:
22822152300_81e26f40b5.jpg

I test fit a CTI 54mm G6GXL casing with the forward closure/delay grain from a K300 into my KestreL. I also attached the Aeropack MC54 and M54E to find out where to glue the M54E in. I was able to figure out how much room I have for a recovery harness. Answer: NOT MUCH! The bonus is that it won't take much BP to separate that section. I also ordered a Giant Leap version Spherachute+ for this kit. My build won't be flying on the K300 for a long time. I have a lot to learn from flying it on smaller motors for a while. I hope to do some tip to tip CF layups on it this weekend.

Wow there's someone else still out there who has yet to finish their KestreL? Allright now I don't feel so bad.

Launch day today! My repaired GLR vertical assault went to ~5000' on a CTI J360 skidmark. This was quite a bit higher than OR predicted, but oh well. First flight for my Eggtimer TRS which worked spectacularly: I used a twist and tape wire pair to inhibit deployment power until it was on the pad, the GPS updates never broke throughout the flight and it was awesome to have telemetry telling me the drogue and main had been fired.

[video=youtube;wmpaTOxjzZo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmpaTOxjzZo[/video]

Tom's Rocket Gear was nice enough to give me several feet of leftover nylon strap so I could hastily get my old LOC IV back in the air. It hadn't flown in years but I dug it out of storage, 5 minute epoxied the strap inside the body tube and put it up on a G75 I've had laying around forever. The mighty G took it to 1200' for a perfect motor deploy and nice recovery. Smiley faced foam earplug was along for the ride:

[video=youtube;_75kFKuPoUc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_75kFKuPoUc[/video]

Opened some boxes that came in from some of the "black November" sales. Also found a pack of 20 plastic shot cups at the dollar store for mixing epoxy.

Moving about an hour north. Still within range of Snow Ranch, and maybe SARG's new(?) field, too. :)
Still in the Bay Area, tho? New SARG field could be described as being very near Galt and ~much~ closer to me (20-25 minutes) than the old one up near Roseville.

Refurbishing a Old rocket that had big square fins that made it look bad and heavy. So I cut the fins and ordered a av bay coupler for DD.

IMG_20151122_091518_137.jpg

Just looked at my pics from yesterday, that J360 was full of fire:

QrFs7fe.jpg

TmOKfcW.jpg

oOh8Pht.jpg

From the TRS:
Apogee: 5088 ft
T @ Apogee: 18.500
Max Velocity: 1090 ft/sec
T @ Max Velocity: 3.150
Avg Accel @ Max Veloc: 346.03 ft/sec2
G: 10.75

Last edited:
Did a test flight of a scissor-flop-wing rocket glider. It had a few issues, but now I see what needs to be addressed so I think it'll be fine after some mods.

s8beTMb.jpg

a1Z9res.jpg

mxLBP9E.jpg

still on the foot? hopefully it was a clean sock

Yes. The woman had loaned her copy of Carrying Albert Home so she didn't have a book for Mr. Hickam to sign. She was, however, wearing socks adorned with cartoon-like images of alligators.

-- Roger

Wow there's someone else still out there who has yet to finish their KestreL? Allright now I don't feel so bad. ..

Launch day today! My repaired GLR vertical assault went to ~5000' on a CTI J360 skidmark. This was quite a bit higher than OR predicted, but oh well. First flight for my Eggtimer TRS which worked spectacularly: I used a twist and tape wire pair to inhibit deployment power until it was on the pad, the GPS updates never broke throughout the flight and it was awesome to have telemetry telling me the drogue and main had been fired.

Yeah, ME !

Picked one up at a Garage Sale and was going to start it this week, but decided to do Shredder instead as I have decals and a motor for it .

Kestrel will get started soon after .. am thinking about grabbing some 1.5k carbon fiber from Soller for the tip to tip ..but have been saving my shekels for the sale this week !

Kenny
20151123_091631.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, ME !

Picked one up at a Garage Sale and was going to start it this week, but decided to do Shredder instead as I have decals and a motor for it .

Kestrel will get started soon after .. am thinking about grabbing some 1.5k carbon fiber from Soller for the tip to tip ..but have been saving my shekels for the sale this week !

Kenny
View attachment 276616

What kind of garage sales do you guys have there?

Back