What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I received packages today from both eRockets & BMS containing:
View attachment 264235 among a few other odds and ends. I also wrote most of the assembly instructions for the Noctua kit I'm preparing for my nephew. I think we tend to take how to put together a LPR rocket - at least until trying to write down what to do. There are a lot more step to detail then I realized!

That Laser-X reminds me of my Estes Centuri #3232.
Now I want a Laser-X.

Well, to be fair, the Estes Centuri ought to remind you somewhat of a Centuri Laser-X... :D

I'm hoping that Semroc reintroduces the upscale Laser-X SLS next, though I might build a larger yet upscale in a little while.

The Laser SLS is showing in their skill level 3 kits, I didnt notice however if it was in stock. It was listed at $79.99

I saw it, but when I last looked it was out of stock like so many other things. However, it seems that steady progress is being made to add stock and to populate the website with images and component specs.

I'm glad it worked! My only advice (from personal experience:facepalm:) is if you're packing the parachute in the NC cavity, make sure that the length of the shock cord measured from the parachute attachment point to the base of the NC is as long/longer than the extended length of the parachute and its shroud lines. If it's not, the cord can go taught and not pull out the parachute. This may just be common sense, but I had to learn it from experience :lol:

Thanks, yeah I'll have to make sure about that. I plan to put the shock cord in the NC mostly, just because that'll pack a little more easily in an awkward place, I think.

Hey, how's the video from the launch coming? ;)

Nate

launched some rockets- tested out my new HD 808 camera, plus also taught my 6 year old son how to put igniters in engines and connect the leads from the controller. Also started building 2 Estes Fat Boys for my kids to paint and fly.

launched some rockets- tested out my new HD 808 camera, plus also taught my 6 year old son how to put igniters in engines and connect the leads from the controller. Also started building 2 Estes Fat Boys for my kids to paint and fly.
I thought the Fat Boy was OOP? Unless you mean the mini?

Concluded my rocketry lesson at my old middle school with the launch of the students' rockets. All of the students' rockets were successfully launched and recovered. The highest scoring student on the test also got to put my perfectflite firefly in their rocket to see how high it went, which was 195ft.

Group photo (I'm on the far right):
20150529_084909.jpg
(It was "crazy day" so ignore the outfits)

Cheers,
Kyle

Second tube fin rocket painted... except for the polka dots that my son is insisting on...

Built an adjustable rocket cradle for my HPR fleet.

Handles everything from the smallest to the largest and disassembles for easy stowage in the trunk of my car.

View attachment 264422View attachment 264423

Polecat Aerospace Goblin 5.5 in the second photo.

I like it! For some reason I feel a clone coming on of this cradle, the only difference I would do, is make it so I could fasten it to my range table, on the fixed end, that way it couldn't get knocked or blown off the table.

Finished up the Der Red Max. It turned out OK. Half the decals did not come of the sheet without coming apart. I had a good time building it. On to the next build - a Venus Probe.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1433017183.946103.jpg

Last edited:
Building modular motor mount system: Single 24mm and Quad 24mm, for switching between BP D's and E's and RMS F's.
2015-05-28 11.31.48.jpg2015-05-29 17.39.55.jpg

The "Barbie" painted tube fin for my daughter, complete with minions. Putting the polka dots on the son's now. It's the same kit.
CIMG4124.jpg

That looks sharp Dave. Three engines and those long front fins ought to make stability tricky, eh?

Today, I sent off a box to kruegon, masked off my Taros & Scorpius clones to further their paint work, and started priming my BT60 NASA Pegasus. Oh, and I cut a 1/4" off the front of my Advanced Target Drone clone due to a very short zipper and crushed tube end on its last flight. Looks perfect now, except that the cutting guide destroyed the white stripes on the nose end. I'll have to repaint that bit. Next, I will start reorganizing my bins of parts. My motor mount collection has graduated to the next larger container, and a few others will be moving upstream in its wake...

That looks sharp Dave. Three engines and those long front fins ought to make stability tricky, eh?

Today, I sent off a box to kruegon, masked off my Taros & Scorpius clones to further their paint work, and started priming my BT60 NASA Pegasus. Oh, and I cut a 1/4" off the front of my Advanced Target Drone clone due to a very short zipper and crushed tube end on its last flight. Looks perfect now, except that the cutting guide destroyed the white stripes on the nose end. I'll have to repaint that bit. Next, I will start reorganizing my bins of parts. My motor mount collection has graduated to the next larger container, and a few others will be moving upstream in its wake...

Stability turned out to be really good thanks to the transition and long nose cone. Surprisingly good actually. I did'nt want to have to add too much nose weight. The motors are tucked right up in there too aiding my CG placement. It sims good on everything up to F32 single Use Motors.
This rocket was built to be everything the TLP Tan Sam is not.:)

Last edited:
banged my head against a wall trying to figure out how to do a HPR custom nose cone (ID is 3 in exactly, OD is 3.325) and i would much rather have the nosecone transition very smoothly into the body tubes (they are old plotter tubes, one of the benefits of interning at an engineering company)

So if you know of anyone/anywhere i can order a custom nosecone that would be AWESOME

Got to work on a Craigslist score that I picked up last week. I got these partially finished rockets and six Estes and Quest ARFs for twenty-five dollars. Started finishing work on the Big Daddy and flew three of the ARFs in the back yard.

20150523_182813.jpg

Got to work on a Craigslist score that I picked up last week. I got these partially finished rockets and six Estes and Quest ARFs for twenty-five dollars. Started finishing work on the Big Daddy and flew three of the ARFs in the back yard.

Nice find!!!

Today, I painted a few builds I have in progress. An Estes Red Der Max, Estes Phoenix Bird, Semroc Explorer, Edmonds Ci Ci Glider. Primer and first coats only. Hoping to sand tonight and prep for a final coat tomorrow.

I finally finished my video of the National Sport Launch:

[video=youtube;yihViW3qdRc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=100&v=yihViW3qdRc[/video]

Apologies ... it was really windy (especially up at 200 or 300 feet) all three days, so the video gets a little jiggly at times. I cleaned it up as much as I could, but I wanted to include all of the launches that I recorded even if the video wasn't quite right. (And, I recently bought a new video titling software package so I went a little crazy with the titles.)

Also, I uploaded the still photos Bracha and I took to RocketReviews.com:

https://www.rocketreviews.com/nsl-2015.html

-- Roger

Back