What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went to Coins & Hobbies and baught some Super Thin CA and a Length of Piano Wire to use as a Launch Rod for my MMX Rocket.
Oh, also sanded Bondo Putty down on some Spiral Filling.

Glued the motor mount to my Patriot, added fillets to it and filled the spirals. Assembled a few scratch rocket display mounts.

Non-rocket related, but rocket building inspired: I bought a balsa boat model, the Sakonnet Daysailer from Midwest Producst (kit #983, skill level 2). Looks much more difficult than a skill level 2 rocket kit!

Met TRF Member "adrienwapkaplet" at our local Park and gave him one of the TLP Kits that "cavecentral" gave me.
Also watched 2 of his Flights.
His Rocket from his Avatar Pic' really flies great. His Sons Rocket flew great too, but landed near the Road, undamaged thankfully.

Last edited:
Met TRF Member "adrienwapkaplet" at our local Park and gave him one of the TLP Kits that "cavecentral" gave me.
Also watched 2 of his Flights.
His Rocket from his Avatar Pic' really flies great. His Sons Rocket flew great too, but landed near the Road, undamaged thankfully.
Coincidentally I met TRF Member TopRamen and his recovering pooch Charlie today! As friendly a guy in person as he is in the forums.
My launch crew are insisting I start on that TLP kit tonight, if not sooner

Preped rockets for tomorrow's launch...the 4 to the left get their maiden flights tomorrow. Pending the kids choices from the workhorse rockets box we may fly the alphabet from A-H tomorrow...being as the forcast is 100 we will probably come up a couple letters short.

image.jpg

Packed up for the Low Power launch today... Launching a G106 skiddy in the upper stage of my two stage and a G80 skiddy in my LOC onyx. Trying out my cable cutter.

Applied some bondo to my Blue Bird Zero last night and sanded it this morning. I do believe sanding is my least favorite part of building a rocket. I'll spray another coat of primer later today and see how she looks.

IMG_7792.jpg

IMG_7794.jpg

Applied some bondo to my Blue Bird Zero last night and sanded it this morning. I do believe sanding is my least favorite part of building a rocket. I'll spray another coat of primer later today and see how she looks.

View attachment 178891

View attachment 178892

Sanding sucks.
Looks like your doing a good job of it anyway! Can't wait to see the finished Product, as Blue Bird Zero is like one of my top 5 Favorite Rockets of all Time.

Coincidentally I met TRF Member TopRamen and his recovering pooch Charlie today! As friendly a guy in person as he is in the forums.
My launch crew are insisting I start on that TLP kit tonight, if not sooner

Thanks.
Glad you guys are excited about the TLP Kit. I'll be ordering a bunch of BT-80 Nose Cones in like a Week or so, so if you don't have one for it by then I'll give you one for it.

Even though its hot outside I built up some motivation and started back on my scratch build. Laying down the last layer of CF the pretty stuff on the fins which I will clear coat at the end of the painting.

IMG_20140726_133012_264.jpg

IMG_20140726_132937_329.jpg

Went to Walmart to get some 110# Cardstock. I went to Staples first, but they wanted $17 for it, so that was'nt happenin'. Walmart only wants $5.48 for 150 Sheets.
Time to finish Papering Fins for the latest TLP Build.

Painted a few of the boy's rockets.

Sent from my SPH-M830 using Rocketry Forum mobile app

Just finished uploading this video from a flight done this morning:

[youtube]W8cRnITXWtY[/youtube]

Used my new Tube Marking Guide for the first time. I got it at Ace Hardware. It is an Aluminum Thingy that is supposed to go on Stairs, but it is perfectly straight, lightweight, and long enough to do most any Tube I'll ever work on.

Was defeated by the heat and only got 3 up...nice flights though. Helped a bit with a pond recovery...mercifully only about 10 ft out.

Crashed the upper stage of my two stage rocket (G80SK), got another caught in a tree (E18) and got it out, and also launched a D12 in a small rocket and got it back (Thanks Aaron Schaefer).

Will post a flight report.

Flew my Scratch Built 24mm Minimum Diameter Crossfire Clone for its Maiden Flight on a D12-3.
IT WAS AWESOME!!! When the Thrust cut out you could hear it whistle up through the Sky. That thing was moving incredibly fast!
It's earned the Right to be Painted!

The Space Blanket Streamer did not unfurl, but because I built it from 24mm LOC MMT wrapped with 110# Cardstock, there was no Damage.

Flew a rocket short of a mile high, then climbed a tree about a mile away to retrieve it - ahhhhh Bong....

Submitted my first two Open Rocket files on https://www.rocketreviews.com/

Estes Patriot
Estes Viking

Both were based on Rocksim files, so the pictures displayed on the website are not mine. The one for the Patriot is not even the Patriot sinced I started from another rocket's template.

Put ACME Conformal Rail Guides on the Meow Mixer with Miniature Screws.

Thanks for the Rail Guides Cavecentral!!! These things look awesome! I'll be ordering more to use on other Builds.

Last edited:
Dry fit the electronics bay, upper payload bay, and nose cone with the main body tube on my madcow torrent for my Jr. Lv. 1 cert.

Oh, and another thing I did Rocket Wise today was "Enhance" an Estes Ignitor. One of the Members here had mentioned using Sparkler Dust and CA to coat the Pyrogen on the Ignitor.
Yes, the Rocket would have likely launched just fine without it and it was not necessary, but I did it just because I could.

Just finished Papering the Forward Fins for my TLP Tan-Sam. Now they are under a Stack of Books to dry and cure for atleast 12 Hours.
I also got the Rear Fins Epoxied on.

- Bought some more building material and tools
- Put second and last layer of fillets on my Patriot
- Created (and soon uploated to www.rocketreviews.com Open Rocket files for the Quest Novia and the Quest Astra 1

Put ACME Conformal Rail Guides on the Meow Mixer with Miniature Screws.

Thanks for the Rail Guides Cavecentral!!! These things look awesome! I'll be ordering more to use on other Builds.

The Meow Mixer looks cool! Are you at all concerned about losing rail clearance with the mini-screws? I would think that the heads might be up against the rail. Test fit?

Mark

Back