What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Painted a hair or two into the nosecone of my Minie Magg. Now I get to sand it again and put yet another coat of paint on the thing.

In a rare eBay bargain, I scored a great deal on a Talon 3. I've always wanted one...now I have it!

Also finished the building phase on both my Richter Recker and P-Chuter Extreme. Ready for primer tomorrow...

Cheers,
Michael

In a rare eBay bargain, I scored a great deal on a Talon 3. I've always wanted one...now I have it!

Also finished the building phase on both my Richter Recker and P-Chuter Extreme. Ready for primer tomorrow...

Cheers,
Michael

I couldn't believe how low that sold, condgrats.

Cheers,
Michael

I was watching that--glad you won!

I a little behind, this occurred on Friday afternoon, but walked around drooling on some missiles
DSCN3002.JPG
and airplanes
DSCN3100.JPG DSCN3021.JPG DSCN3090.JPG
at Wright-Patterson AFB

But the coolest sight of the day was the huge kites being flown out front
DSCN3071.JPG

Put the fins on an Estes V2 Saturday night.

You might contact member vcp. I think that he's done 3D prints of the shrouds for this rocket.

Thanks. I've already done one rendition of the shroud in AutoCAD, but I need to visit the Nike-Hercules we have here in town (AirPower Park in Hampton VA - not too far from where Beach Blast will be this summer, they have a mix of DOD and NASA rockets on display) and double check a couple of the details. I'll print the design to validate it works with my internal engineered bits and then I plan to use it to cast a mold. I'll also plan to do a custom nosecone mold as well as molds for the fins. I'm still undecided on what to use for the skirting wrapped around the booster bottoms. I may glass that in after the boosters are assembled into the 4-pack or build a version out of thin balsa or plywood. Getting the coupler to work just right is going to be the tough part. It needs the strength to transfer the booster thrust to the sustainer and pop off to deploy the recovery system. I may need to build a couple of those before I get it just the way I like it.

Got my eggfinder in the mail... Now to find someone with a fine tip soldering iron... I figured out saturday that the heating coil in mine went out... :(

Got my eggfinder in the mail... Now to find someone with a fine tip soldering iron... I figured out saturday that the heating coil in mine went out... :(

let us know how the build goes. I want to get one soon. don't forget pictures.

Not much lately. Been puny for the past three days, but today I have my team put together for the Reach For The Stars competition. We'll hold our qualifications in June. I'm kinda excited about this. I know the kids are. We have 8 boys and seven girls.

CaveDuck is building an upscale, WarnerR is building small with a min diameter performance bird, Wayco is finding his egg and my rocket buddy DBrent is coming from PHX this weekend to visit !

SO I spent some time with the fiddly fit on the Funk Saucer vanes/fins last night and think I have it right - so went ahead and masked bonding edges and did a first pass with spot putty on one side and elmers wood filler on the other to smooth out the grain before shooting primer - will see which does better. The 2.8mm luan plywood does well in this application because I can toss it if I don't like it and it costs pennies . Will give to Fyrwrxz Dave when done and challenge him to shred it on a 125g or less of propellant motor .

Kenny

Last edited:
Not much lately. Been puny for the past three days, but today I have my team put together for the Reach For The Stars competition. We'll hold our qualifications in June. I'm kinda excited about this. I know the kids are. We have 8 boys and seven girls.

Make that 8 boys and 8 girls, another one signed on today.

Loaded up the Rocketry Warehouse Sublime with a K550-12. Prepped the chute and chute burrito. Ready for assembly on site.

-J

Today all I was able to do was wish that I had some Kits to build or anything to work on. Sadly, I'm at a standstill with everything.:(

Spent some time today at the workbench on the Goblin 5.5 nosecone altimeter bay. Decided I needed a 2-3/4" hole saw so off to the neighborhood Lowe's. After I got it home, I thought about the nosecone alt bay in a different light and realized the 3" hole saw I already had will work just fine if I use a short length of 3" body tube to receive the short length of 3" coupler tube on the alt-bay bulkhead/cap. However it finally turns out, I have the appropriate diameter hole saw.

Also spent some time on my new portable rocket workbench trimming down a 1/8" thick hardboard removable insert.

While I was at Lowe's, I checked out the small Skil bandsaw that matches my small Skil drill press. No decision yet.

Nice enough today to get some painting done :) Sprayed Rustoleum 2X Orange on my 7x18mm cluster and another coat of gold on The Golden Hind. The paint went on too good and I did something I haven't done in years, got some runs on the orange rocket. Most disappeared after it dried but I got some sanding to do on it for a second coat so it's not too bad :p

I have 5 that are waiting for filler, need to get on that. Building half a dozen parachutes just to build up the supply. I like for my rockets to have their own chutes, just seems incomplete without one ;)

Finished painting EEL "Easter egg Lofter" for my wife , FG picked it up built on Ebay for basically nothing , does anybody recognize what it is for sim file ?

booster is 24 1/4 long 20.7 oz
nose cone 12 3/4 " including shoulder 4.5 oz

maiden flight have choices here from G67 to J510 .. J510 might be too much lol

EEL.jpg

I sorted through all of the conflicting Nike Hercules data and decided that the"experts" cannot even manage to measure the span of a fin correctly. So sad. I'm going to Air Power Park tomorrow, tape measure and camera in hand, with the intent to settle these discrepancies once and for all.

I put the last coat of paint on the nose cone of my Minie Magg and started messing around with the tracker I got in the mail.

Figured out why the RDY lead on my eggfinder doesn't work... Solder bridge on two of the pads of the GPS module....

Oh well, I am figuring out if one of our neighbors has a solder wick and bulb that I can borrow... :)

Figured out why the RDY lead on my eggfinder doesn't work... Solder bridge on two of the pads of the GPS module....

Oh well, I am figuring out if one of our neighbors has a solder wick and bulb that I can borrow... :)

You might not even need that. Try dragging your iron through the bridge between the pads. Often times this is enough to break the bridge. (assuming there is room between the pads to do so. I haven't built an egg timer so I'm not sure what the spacing looks like.)

I actually haven't done much since the last LUNAR snow ranch launch. I picked up a couple more parachute duration models which I'm planning to build this weekend, and talked to my 5 year old about scratch building a birthday rocket. We thought about trying to do a birthday launch for him at snow ranch on the may 3rd date. We decided that wouldn't be totally feasible. (Not enough time to plan a build session before-hand, and I doubt most of the people he wants to invite are willing to buy build on their own and make the 2 hour drive.)

Have to figure out what we're going to do for his birthday instead.

Oh, and I got my 9-year-old a Jr. NAR membership so he'd be eligible to do contest flying (if he wants to try it out) and enter the NAR science fair project contest.

Back