What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1448833291.314822.jpg
After our big move cross country and things settling down, I'm finally able to get some rocket building done. In this photo I'm using a new method of doing fillets new to me, and with great results.
I mixed up a batch of epoxy just enough to do two at a time, apply use finger wet with rubbing alcohol to smooth out, apply wax paper and tape on dowels as tight as I can and let sit for 5 hours and remove tape dowels and wax paper while the epoxy is still pliable and let fully cure over night. The next step will be to sand and use spot putty to fill in holes and such and sand some more. Then paint.

I totally messed up my Eggtimer WIFI Switch. I thought I could do it. I used to solder. I played with a little Christmas tree to get back into solder. I put on STRONG glasses and tried the magnifying glass, but placing the Optoisolators on the board, I totally screwed it up. Couldn't even remove the solder. Used a 12w iron, but man I blew that. Back to switches and pull pins. My eyes aren't the same and hands apparently not steady enough. :facepalm:

If nothing's been physically destroyed it might still be salvageable. Those kits can be tricky, but I've seen at least one person here offer to build them for free in addition to the paid services.

If nothing's been physically destroyed it might still be salvageable. Those kits can be tricky, but I've seen at least one person here offer to build them for free in addition to the paid services.
I'm open to that, but very sad "I" cannot do it. I REALLY wanted to make it happen and enjoy the challenge. I think the two parts are pretty bad; but who knows; I'll look around. Thanks! Worse case I'll just offer up the remaining parts free to anyone that needs them.

I'm open to that, but very sad "I" cannot do it. I REALLY wanted to make it happen and enjoy the challenge. I think the two parts are pretty bad; but who knows; I'll look around. Thanks! Worse case I'll just offer up the remaining parts free to anyone that needs them.

I messed up a few solders on mine and after some tech support from cerving in the Vendor forum and fixing it everything worked fine, so the parts could be fine.

Also revived my AMW Black Friday order today! J145 skid mark, 54mm fly away rail guides, and CTI 54mm tailcone closure

The only rocketry related thing I did today was a little sketching and mind simming while waiting at the airport.

I did actually do some hands on work last weekend on my Estes SLV, though, plus cut out some Depron for a couple of more RC RGs.

The local motor vendor/pusher (pyrobob, i.e. buyrocketmotors.com) dropped off my L3 hardware and reload, as well as, some Black Friday goodies at work today. Unfortunately, I have had to surrender the big stuff for wrapping as my better half is giving me that for Christmas and my Birthday.

Yep Pyrobob is definitely an Enabler/Facilitator and one of the fastest money reducing Agents known (the only one faster is an Ex-Wife). But man do we love his products and service.

Just finished making up the charges for my Demon's maiden flight.... This Saturday, K740 C*, predicted 10,100... Woot!

I have the same toolbox from Harbor Freight hiding in my rocket mess too.

Today and yesterday have been all about putting the 4" Wildman together. I've got a K535 inbound for its maiden flight:

vs6tbRBl.jpg

Just finished making up the charges for my Demon's maiden flight.... This Saturday, K740 C*, predicted 10,100... Woot!

10,000 on the K740 in a 4" rocket?!?! I didn't think it would achieve that. I'd love to hear the actual results.

10,000 on the K740 in a 4" rocket?!?! I didn't think it would achieve that. I'd love to hear the actual results.

I'm a bit curious as well, but I think the sim is fairly accurate based on final weight and design. Just under 7.5 lbs, plus boattail reduces base drag quite a bit. I'll be sure to post flight results over on my build thread on Saturday.

I'm a bit curious as well, but I think the sim is fairly accurate based on final weight and design. Just under 7.5 lbs, plus boattail reduces base drag quite a bit. I'll be sure to post flight results over on my build thread on Saturday.

Ok, I'll be watching. But still, a 4 lbs punisher 3 (my own, no tailcone) did 9,942 on one of those motors.

Ok, I'll be watching. But still, a 4 lbs punisher 3 (my own, no tailcone) did 9,942 on one of those motors.

That tailcone/boattail makes a marked difference in altitude. And don't forget the extra momentum of extra weight. All that balanced out by the extra diameter and length... 10k seems reasonable. But, since this is the first one built, it'll certainly be interesting to see what happens. Weather looks good for flight on Saturday. It's kinda fun being the first flight.

10k seems reasonable.

More likely you'll get 9999 feet like that one punisher flight. Then you'll spend the next 20 minutes staring at the rocket, crying, wondering where it all went wrong. This will be followed up with obsessively tweaking every detail in OpenRocket until your sims come down to 9999 feet like the actual flight. Then the next flight will CATO, leaving you with an altitude of 20 feet, some broken fiberglass parts, and shattered dreams.

More likely you'll get 9999 feet like that one punisher flight. Then you'll spend the next 20 minutes staring at the rocket, crying, wondering where it all went wrong. This will be followed up with obsessively tweaking every detail in OpenRocket until your sims come down to 9999 feet like the actual flight. Then the next flight will CATO, leaving you with an altitude of 20 feet, some broken fiberglass parts, and shattered dreams.

If that actually happens, I'm not talking to you for a month.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1449100404.520275.jpg
An H-238 would get this up and away faster then the blink of an eye. Now that I got a scale I can mix my epoxies more accurately.

That tailcone/boattail makes a marked difference in altitude. And don't forget the extra momentum of extra weight. All that balanced out by the extra diameter and length... 10k seems reasonable. But, since this is the first one built, it'll certainly be interesting to see what happens. Weather looks good for flight on Saturday. It's kinda fun being the first flight.

I guess. I just don't see a 4" rocket doing 10k. I'd love to be proven wrong though, that motor is so far my favorite and continues to impress me.

Sprayed yellow paint onto my Darkstar jr. Then proceeded to grumble over runny paint. Went out and bought a different can of a different kind.

Back