What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Widened my rocket shelf and put a lip on the edge so APRO Lander II no longer needs to live on my workbench. Should have room for several rockets to stand there.

IMG_6507.jpg

Assembled my mid size Macklin Fin alignment jig. The mid size can go up to just over 4” diameter. seems to be the perfect size for most of the rockets I plan to build in the near future.

Fin repairs on some of my older well used projects...4" upscale Fatboy, Loc IV, a replacement nosecone on my upscale Astrobee 1500 (thanks Gordon).
Found some partly finished low power stuff I did some work on...Fliskit Tres, Aerodactyl two stager.
The easy stuff.

Looked over that MadCow Nike Apache...(black friday sale kit)......beautiful FG work, but boy ........ this thing is going to be heavy.
Parts inc the fins are weighty. Put it all back in the box for now.

Last edited:
Finished the four 3" Crayon scratch builds. Really the only thing left on them is rail buttons, so the four pluse the other 5 or 6 rockets that need them. Eventually I will make multicolor 30" chutes for each of them (red, yellow and blue of course the primary colors). Sims say a 18" chute is borderline and a 24" recommended, but with a JLCR, I will use 30-inchers for nice soft landings.

T300 Crayons 29mmt.jpg

Edit to add picture, doh!

Last edited:
While the Tarc kids were buzzing about trying to get their flights in, a couple mentors from HARA and I had a Mammoth party!

Try and picture 2 HD 808 cameras, 2 chute releases, 2 altimeter 2's, and a T3 GPS tracker flying in three 15$ rockets. It was great

Bonus picture from Vertigo II the electric Ventris
Inflight.PNG

Last edited:
Using a calibrated Mk1 eyeball and an aluminum sanding bar, I beveled the leading edges of my Mongoose 38 fins. Will do the tips and trailing edges after I decide if this one will be per OEM design or modified.

YKJXtkql.jpg
prDXT0vl.jpg

Flew to Indy for business for a week. Fearing I would miss my rockets to much, I brought their brains along. I plan on practicing field programming and getting to know the computer software.

Would you believe that TSA didn't even question my carry-on?0121182103a.jpg

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Built an M685 moonburner for my Mongoose 75. Last flown in March of 2016, it's dusted off for next weekends minimum diameter madness. I'm also flying my Blackhawk 54 on a K375 dual thrust. Spent a couple of days getting the Mongoose 54 rebuilt, but when I weighed it and ran a OR simulation with the Loki L2050, I decided that 154 fps off the rod and 60 gees might be asking too much for a rocket with only one flight on it. I'm gonna work my way up to that monster.

Build the chute compartment for my Big Daddy, shaped the fins, cut CRs for the MT and MT slider. Too cold to paint the bBertha and Alpha and can't start on the BBertha yet!

Well, yesterday I dove into a bunker to escape an angry and very out-of-control bi-prop rocket, saw it streak into the ground a few hundred feet away under full power, and witnessed a beautiful fireball rise up out of the desert. 30 seconds later, the nose cone landed like 6 feet away from me only slowed by a tiny drogue. Yup, the rocket tried to kill me in two different ways. I love this hobby :D

Flew to Indy for business for a week. Fearing I would miss my rockets to much, I brought their brains along. I plan on practicing field programming and getting to know the computer software.

Would you believe that TSA didn't even question my carry-on?View attachment 336648

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Indy!? I would’ve let you flew at my house! Shocking that TSA didn’t question you - they definitely would have if you had AV bay or rocket tubes lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Picked up my LOC Nano Magg from my shipping depot. (Final piece of my Wildman BF order) I'm about to weigh the parts and cobble together a RockSim file.
Ogled my 75mm CTI 2G casing. Also read the manual for the RRC3. Nice, simple altimeter.
I really need to get started with OpenRocket so maybe this will be the one.

If I get either done, I'll upload them. It's a super simple rocket and I am building it mostly stock.
Buttons instead of lug, replacing elastic "shock cord" and using an eye bolt instead of a screw-eye for the bulkhead.
No stupid big motors or CF etc. for this one.

Opened the Estes Rogue kit. Never thought that the fins might be die-crunched and don't have a knife here at work. However I was able to take measurements and update my ork file.

View attachment oop_estes_rogue.ork

Edit: we got off early tonight when we ran into a stopping point, so I started assembling a Semroc Mini Omega in the hotel.

I bought another Estes SR-71 from Woody’s Workshop here on TRF. I’m murdering the one that I’m building now. I need a mulligan.

It looks like we might be weathered out for our launch this weekend. So instead of prepping rockets tonight, I designed a 3d printed 13mm rocket based which ended up being kind of a 6-finned Estes Scout. Printing now...

View attachment 336430

EDIT: Here's the first printed version. The motor's a little bit tight, so I'll do a little massaging and print another one. It's cute though! (FWIW, I printed it with supports. This photo shows it after I removed the supports.)

View attachment 336434

EDIT EDIT: I shared my rocket on Thingiverse and started a thread here: https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?144276-Scoot-a-tiny-3d-printed-rocket

That looks pretty darn cool. :headbang:

I bought another Estes SR-71 from Woody’s Workshop here on TRF. I’m murdering the one that I’m building now. I need a mulligan.

Any chance they have more?

Edit: I found his email and sent him a message. Hope the one he post this morning is still available....

Last edited:
Yesterday I finished basic construction of my Big Daddy 29mm mod and started working on the Madcow Momba (Thanks again Secret Santa).

Hotel Fleet has been expanded by 2. This morning I completed the booster for a Semroc Mini-Omega and completed a Semroc Aphelion befor going to bed. They both still need fillets, but are effectively complete.

IMG_0310.jpg

Haven’t done anything Rocketry in a while - but today I did place some orders with Madcow, Top Flight Recovery and MAC Performance for my sons 4-H project - stretched super Batray and his first Dual deploy.

I joined Tripoli Phoenix, went to their January launch for a little while, saw some good flights, signed one L1 certification form, and met some really nice people there. It was a nice day.

Steve Shannon

Last edited:
Worked on my Shrox Orion. Sanded and then applied wood filler on the fins and the fillets. Rigged together a makeshift rotary sanding attachment for my dremel by attaching a smaller adapter to an oversized one with Fixit epoxy. Might work, might not. Figured I'd try.

Placed an order for an Estes PS II launch pad and controller and some extra igniters with eRockets. A good day!

Started work on my MDRM mainly mods to increase durability as the kit is no longer made. Two wraps of FG for the airframe, one 7oz and a top layer of 2 oz glass, the fins each got a layer of 7 oz on both sides of the fin cores and the lightening cut-outs were filled with left over balsa from the fin skin stock, MMT will be upgraded to a 38mm, but I still plan to fly only up to I motors in it, as those big ole fins seem prime for shredding (flutter) with bigger/hard hitting motors, basically looking to keep it under 800fps which most I motors will. Nose cone will receive a NC Av-Bay.

And after typing all that I realized the damn thing will actually be heavily modded.....

Also cut material for four 30" chutes for the Crayon Rockets, 6 gores for each chute, one of each color gore in the primary colors and secondary colors (red, yellow, blue, orange, green, purple).

Two flights at TRA/PHX today, wind dummy "Tommy 2" on an F35 to about 1500 ft. and my Mongoose 54 to just under 10k ft. Great weather this weekend, yesterday was busy though, with three test flights for the new Featherweight GPS system. You will all want a few of these when they come out, believe me, they are great!

I joined Tripoli Phoenix, went to their January launch for a little while, saw some good flights, signed one L1 certification form, and met some really nice people there. It was a nice day.

Steve Shannon

You must have been incognito! I know that Sharon and I were busy, but how did you sneak in and get away without us noticing you? Or did I talk to you without knowing who you were?
Anyway, glad you came out, and welcome to the club.

Two flights at TRA/PHX today, wind dummy "Tommy 2" on an F35 to about 1500 ft. and my Mongoose 54 to just under 10k ft. Great weather this weekend, yesterday was busy though, with three test flights for the new Featherweight GPS system. You will all want a few of these when they come out, believe me, they are great!

You must have been incognito! I know that Sharon and I were busy, but how did you sneak in and get away without us noticing you? Or did I talk to you without knowing who you were?
Anyway, glad you came out, and welcome to the club.

I was the goofy looking redhead in the green shirt kibitzing with the two Scotts, Darrell, and Bob. I may have met you; I cannot tell what people look like or what their real names are in Tapatalk. I tried to walk around and meet people, but obviously I didn’t do a great job of it. Im sorry about that. I could only stay for a couple hours, but I was really glad to come. The launch was very similar to the ones my local club has.
Thanks for the welcome. I’ll make a point to look you up next time.
Steve

Steve Shannon

Worked on my Shrox Orion. Sanded and then applied wood filler on the fins and the fillets. Rigged together a makeshift rotary sanding attachment for my dremel by attaching a smaller adapter to an oversized one with Fixit epoxy. Might work, might not. Figured I'd try.

Placed an order for an Estes PS II launch pad and controller and some extra igniters with eRockets. A good day!

The rig failed. Oh well.

Back