What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unfortunately, I didn't get anything rocketry related done yesterday, and today I have to leave for work again. I may build a LPR kit or two this weekend at work, but my bigger projects (Ventris SRB and Chrome Trajector) will have to wait another week to get attention. :sad:

Ok, so I stole a few minutes between doing laundry and packing for work and got the Ventris SRB to this point.
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1492010116.711487.jpg
It still requires sanding as the boosters don't slide off freely, yet.

Fillets in the kitchen while my wife naps. Looks like I mixed up way too much Rocketpoxy. I love this stuff, so I'm mad at myself for wasting it.
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1492046350.421166.jpg

Just pulled the trigger on the airframe I hope to turn into my Level 2!...Long Tom!

I wasn't planning to order it yet, but some casual vendor browsing showed that the LOC Cruiser wasn't in stock almost anywhere! But(!), a great contact from Discount Rocketry called LOC and discovered that they had ONE Cruiser left, so here I am. (It was listed as unavailable on LOC's site:eek:).

It'll go with the giant 5.5" elliptical cone Madcow dug out of the Rocketry Warehouse stuff. And, (if it isn't an untenable amount of work) I want to turn the original nose cone into a boattail so it looks more like a Tomahawk.
IMG_20170412_203026688_HDR.jpglisting.PNG3d finished.PNGTomahawk scheme.jpg

If I can get this together, its gonna be sweet.

I've been wanting to work with this kit for almost a year, so I'm really glad that I could pull it off now (and I'll be on business travel for ~5 weeks total this summer, so thats plenty of time where I'm not buying rocket stuff to offset this chunk)

Added a second layer of TB Quick and Thick. I kept the rocket horizontal this time to prevent the flowing I noted in the first layer....
I also noted a could places that need further sanding of the CWF. I guess I will take it camping with me this weekend to have something to do while it is raining Saturday. (No, not backpacking, just car camping at a camp ground)

Productive first day home from my trip. I finished repair/new paint work on the Mini Frenzy's fin and nose cone, started work on its avbay, and darn near finished the Sea Wolf. Just waiting for some paint repair work on the nose cone to dry before sanding it smooth, adding the last vinyl decals, and applying clear coat.

Sanded off the first coat of primer on the Frenzy. Sprayed and sanded the second coat, and then sprayed the first two base white coats. Almost ready!!!

Finished putting the fins and fillets on my three V2 rockets and ordered parts to clone a Centuri Bulldog, Nova Payloader, Centuri Aero-Dart, and parts for a 1/10th sport scale two stage four 29mm motor booster to a single 29mm motor sustainer Nike-Hercules (build thread will be done for it). Went to my local print shop and had my Nike-Hercules drawing blown up to 1:1 for the scale model (kind of building board style thing) the drawing is 36"x60" with all the different view. Getting ready to have 5-6 weeks off after surgery so lots of build time.

Rich, I wish you a speedy recovery, and an easy go of it on the surgery.
Will be looking forward to that build thread!

Thanks Woody. Todays rocketry endeavor was to plan out my build list for the next 8 weeks and the list looks like:

Nike Hercules 2 stager
Centuri Bulldog clone
Nova Payloader clone
Centuri Aero-Dart clone
Alpha red and black livery clone
Estes V2 ( current release)
Mercury Redstone 4" w/ Boyce Aerospace capule
Mercury Atlas 5.38" w/ Boyce Aerospace capsule and adapter.

If there is enough interest in certain builds I will do build threads on TRF, otherwise the build threads will be on my local clubs forums.

Where did you get the parachute men?
I've been looking for these for years!​
Party City. They cost $3 bucks. If there isn't a Party City near you they have them on ebay for a little more. I like them because they are pretty narrow, so they will fit in the tube of my Amazon rocket.

I sanded glue all day yesterday until my fingers were sore, mostly fillets.
Slow start today, but more sanding.
Fillets on the Bullpup.
After mounting the fins on the replacement BT-55 upscale Wizard.
Fin repairs continue on the Hyper Bad and some fixes to fillets (more sanding to come...)
75 here today, but windy as heck.
Otherwise, priming and painting would have been involved.

the sort of paper that greeting cards are made from, or the face cards for Estes kits. comparatively thick, stiff, and has a smooth finish.
Rex

Another slow weekend at work so I built a new Baby Bertha to replace the one that CATO'd back in January, and a new Hi-Flier to replace the one that drifted into the woods last Sunday (and I've got a Hi-Flier XL at home to build yet). I haven't installed the shock cord on the H-F yet though. I'm going to modify it for an external fillet mount of Kevlar cord like doing a Streamer Duration model.
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1492378047.903509.jpg

Back