What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally ordered some real epoxy since I'm running low on the miscellany I picked up at the hardware store.

Also sorted out some aluminum tubes I had laying around.
7889b1f81cf2f12783a0135a218e8ac7.jpg

I actually got quite a bit done today. Seems like any more than one or two small steps at a time has been rare lately so it was a nice change to have some actual building time!

Finished construction on my LOC Forte. It is now ready to either fly or paint; whichever comes first (Prolly get some primer on it in the morning, actually).

Got the motor mount with kevlar shock cord installed in my LOC Aura. I already had this one painted so it is now ready for our next launch.

Got the nose cone sanded and the motor mount built for my new Star Orbiter.

Got the first masking done on one of my scratch built LPRs. I'm going to try to get the first color shot in the morning.

Not a bad day!

Finally ordered some real epoxy since I'm running low on the miscellany I picked up at the hardware store.

I need to borrow those two CTI 24mm cases

My three of V's are coming together nicely. BT50, BT55, and BT60 versions, still to come is the Estes BT-80 version. These are all downscales of the Estes version.

A three of Vs.jpg

PM me, I think I've got four of the 6G :)

Ah, you're too kind! I'm going to have to pick a couple up from a vendor at my next launch. I've been working on a two-stage project that was put on hold for long enough and I think I'm going to have some fun with this one. All flights on F and G motors stay below 5k. Should be a fun one to throw a bunch of different motors into.

PVC pipe, the next gen tinker toys :)
Rex
Definitely!

You a fine couple young one's there.
Glad to see them getting involved with Rocketery!
Enjoy them when they are young, they grow up soooo fast.
Thanks! They built their first Estes E2X kits right after their 4th birthday (they're twins). They've each built several E2X kits since and they love love love going to high power launches to fly them (although, I haven't figured out how to stuff a high power motor in an Alpha III or Sky Writer yet). They both love helping with my high power rockets. Here's my daughter zip tying the avionics on my Quicksilver:

IMG_7921 - Sophia avionics zip ties.jpg

I love the paint on the top rocket. Did you do that with a mask?
Thanks! I had fun painting it. Yeah, I used a mask. To make it, I hired an artist on fiverr to design a "tribal" arm sleeve tatoo. (Natsuhisui was the artists' name, if that helps anyone.) After getting the design, I cut it out using our Cameo 3 vinyl cutter on EndureMATTE vinyl. I primed, sanded & base coated the rocket then stuck on the vinyl mask. Since it wrapped more than all the way around the rocket, it took both my wife & I to get it laid down. Once we had it stuck down, I shot the dark red and removed the mask a few minutes later. Since it turned out pretty well with just the color, I decided not to clear coat it to save some weight.

Here's the mask and the mask on the white rocket:

FullSizeRender.jpg IMG_7893.jpg

Here's the first piece of mask I removed:

IMG_7894.jpg

Here's all the mask removed:

IMG_7901.jpg

Here's the finished rocket:

IMG_7931.jpg IMG_7930.jpg

Good times!

My son and I got started on our Estes Mercury Redstone. We got the escape tower and capsule built and I enlarged the motor mount rings from 18mm to 24mm.
I also got several coats of primer on my Apogee Aspire.

When you only have every other weekend off, you try not to pass up a chance to launch, even if it's marginal with the wind. I only ended up losing one model that drifted too far West into trees (even with an undersized streamer!).
[video=youtube;9qzbcUrA84E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qzbcUrA84E[/video]

What is that looonnngggg, skinny purple case at the top? Also, the one below it that looks like a flashlight?

I recorded my first in-flight video yesterday.

[YOUTUBE]Goj19RPmStQ[/YOUTUBE]

RATT 29mm Hybrid on top ( purple )
Hypertek fuel grain below right
Red ends left of that is a mystery hybrid homebrew

That would be why I didn't recognize it. I was thinking that motor had a crazy high Length to Diameter ratio.

Got primer on three models, and initial color on two
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1491863865.877624.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1491863887.156441.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1491863904.299322.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1491863928.868062.jpg
Yes, that is Chrome on a Trajector! And I need to run up to the hobby shop tonight to get more. But it won't end there. 😁

Yes, Alclad II Chrome. I ran out of the Chrome and need to get more. I was going to get it tonight, but couldn't get to the hobby shop. I also have a few other Alclad metal finishes and will apply some of those as well. I haven't really cemented a final scheme in my mind; I'm making it up as I go. :wink:

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1491874971.045911.jpg
Pulling fillets on the punisher. Will have the booster 100% done this week. Still have a lot to do to fly at MWB.

Looking at further planning towards Airfest and don't want to get in over my head. Typically I bring too many rockets and try to fly them all. So what to do, hmm. I want to fly a 54MD that I've had for 3 years and not yet flown - need to build an AV bay and retention and get it flight worthy. But kinda want to build another MAC Performance - like maybe a radial flyer.

Last edited:
Back