What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Day 2 of drying out the flooded workshop. It should be fine by tomorrow

But I did work on refurb of the upscale Orbital Interceptor. I read somewhere that one can use tape to easily remove old decals. I tried it today using duck tape and was surprised how well it worked. I took 2 applications each time: 1. to strip the clear coat off and 2. the next application takes the decal off.

Started assembly/fixed up 3 av bays at the same time. Yeah, I'm a glutton for punishment :)

Ordered the parts for my L2 4in Photon Disruptor for NSL! All Loc from Apogee.

Cold weather contraction cracked loose the nosecone of my L1 rocket Big SAM. I'm going to take advantage of that and try to work out a better nose weighting scheme than my original "dump in metal and fill.with foam" plan.
IMG_20170316_211026885.jpg
Since I have a boostload of rivets(!) I'm going to work on a new adjustable setup.

Painted my Mini Pike, STM-012, and more primer work on the Sea Wolf. Also finally got my hands on a can of 4F black powder, so I can start ground testing the charges on my L2 project.

Got the desk in place. The outlet behind came right midway of the top. So I made some blocks to raise it above. Works out as it's a better height. I have some scrap wood to make some storage. The top is 3ft deep so have plenty of room at the back. Thanks to my wife for finding this for me. Great workbench.

Cowabunga mostly finished, and the Mini-Frenzy got is coat of red for the upper section. Vinyl on the Cowabunga is compliments of my wife and some free artwork from the internet put through InkScape and the CriCuts Design Space web app. The Mini-Frenzy's nose cone av-bay, its tight but the Eggtimer TRS does fit with a 300mah 2s LiPo, no room for my usual sled so everything will be wedged in with foam rubber to protect the electronics, tracker will be absolutely necessary when the rocket is flown with the AT I200W or the CTI I243.

Cowabunga1.jpg MiniFrenzyXLdd30.jpg MiniFrenzyXLdd31.jpg MiniFrenzyXLdd36.jpg MiniFrenzyXLdd37.jpg MiniFrenzyXLdd38.jpg

Last edited:
Started building an Estes Stratocruiser. Leaving the top transition open for a payload bay. Dug around my garage and found an unopened Estes Omloid kit. I think someone gave it to me. Not sure but I'm thinking about using that payload section on a different body tube and launch it with a 24mm engine.

YiJI3EM.jpg

I started construction of my version of the Ventris SRB, and also an ASP WAC Corporal w/ Tiny Tim.
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1489883980.861870.jpgImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1489884006.555277.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1489884029.550183.jpg
The more I look at the Tiny Tim, the more I'm unsure if I have the right instructions, but I'm pressing on.

Continued on my Semroc repro. of the old Century Defender. Going to use that one for the classic model contest. Also continued on my 2016 estes Sat V kit. Finally started laying down some primer on the upper section. Still working on filler and sanding on the booster.

Just finished the final rendition of the Glacial Canine. Well, almost final, maybe. Going back and forth on a 38mm motor tube. The added weight is significant when simulated on a G64.....

Glacial Canine.jpg

Little by little I'm working on my ASP WAC Corporal/Tiny Tim build and I'm pretty well convinced now that I actually have the 24 to 18mm version of the kit, but I have the 18 to 18mm instructions, because some of the parts I have don't jive with the instructions or aren't mentioned at all.
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1489941690.000044.jpg

The extent of my Ventris SRB build this weekend. The rest of it will happen at home later this week.
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1489958613.885667.jpg

The extent of my Ventris SRB build this weekend. The rest of it will happen at home later this week.
View attachment 315089

Nice build. Did you use CWF on the body tubes? I noticed Estes white tubes are a little harder to fill, did my Stratocruiser's fins and transition with CWF today, but I'm going to leave the BTs and hope primer fills most of the lines.

Opened the Mega Red Max last night. Stopped at Lowe's on the way to work and bought a u-bolt, nuts and washers. Drilled holes in the upper centering ring and installed the u-bolt with loctite (red on the bottom, blue on top). Decided since I had a vise available, I also mangled the threads on the ends of the u-bolt by smashing them. (Figured tack welds was over kill)

IMG_0105.jpgIMG_0106.jpg

Things are definitely looking better for the Dukies now that 'Nova is out. But I think they are going to have their hands full with whoever wins the Baylor/USC game.

Oh, I have no confidence in this group to win 6 straight. They can beat anyone on a given night, but they can lose to almost anyone on a given night. They are making it look REALLY hard against SC tonight.

Edit: I guess I just got a few evenings back over the next couple weeks.

Last edited:
Attended the Michiana Rocketry launch in Three Oaks, MI today. A tad breezy and cloudy early in the day, but once the winds died down and the cloud cover went away, I decided the Madcow PAC-3 needed a ride on an AT J415. Great flight, but obviously what was supposed to be a 14 second delay ended up being around 10 seconds. But there was no damage and she'll fly again next month at Midwest Blast 2! Got an onboard video, first video using my new Möbius mini. I like it!

https://youtu.be/aV82-u3CDXk

Back