What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems like you might have clearance issues with the launch rail...

Plan to drill through to the aft CR, which will be about 6" OD, and use lugs. Going to go 1/4" rod for this one...should come in only about 3 lbs sans motor, so fine for a rod.

Took a picture of my Estes Mammoth that flies with dual deploy recovery and in addition to Estes motors can also take 29mm CTI 3 grain motors.
I have to say I really like this rocket. The gold body tubes with the black and white decals just looks great. Much better in real life than on the web page.
Estes_Mammoth_9708.jpg

Got these in the mail today and I must say they look20171211_084915.jpg really promising. Hoping to get the Portia up and running over the holidays for the January LUNAR launch. Fast and Dual Deploy.

A while back I did a hurried field tie of a Bowline as a parachute mid-loop and totally messed it up. After one flight, the Kevlar knot (whatever it is) became a rock hard mess that's apparently impossible to untie. So, I'm trying to untie it. It's not going well. Yay.

IMG_4926-2.jpg

Alpine Butterfly Loops from now on.

EDIT: Whoop! I dug up an old marlin spike/awl thing & managed to pull enough of the parachute through to remove it. After that, some more tooling popped the knot out. Butterfly's now ready to go.

IMG_4927.jpg IMG_4928.jpg IMG_4929.jpg IMG_4930.jpg

Last edited:
A while back I did a hurried field tie of a Bowline as a parachute mid-loop and totally messed it up. After one flight, the Kevlar knot (whatever it is) became a rock hard mess that's apparently impossible to untie. So, I'm trying to untie it. It's not going well. Yay.

View attachment 334221

Alpine Butterfly Loops from now on.

EDIT: Whoop! I dug up an old marlin spike/awl thing & managed to pull enough of the parachute through to remove it. After that, some more tooling popped the knot out. Butterfly's now ready to go.

View attachment 334222 View attachment 334223 View attachment 334224 View attachment 334225

If you tie a bowline correctly it should come out fairly easily
no matter how much tension you put on it...

Teddy

Last final was yesterday. Took a break from scoring tests, research papers, and homework notebooks to spend money. Mostly Christmas gifts for other people, but I also bought some rocket-building stuff; paint, epoxy, more 1/16 and 3/32 aircraft plywood than I probably need, and a couple big blocks of machinable wax (I'll be making my first fiberglass nosecone sometime after Christmas). I also order a few packs of Estes BP motors, a Red Nova kit (that I plan to mod into a two-stage) and -- in a fit of nostalgia -- a Photon Disruptor.

Already acting on my 1st New Years resolution for 2018: Give less of my money to F.A.N.G. companies and more to the folks who will be out in the cold when net-neutrality goes away.

Yesterday I packed the Toyota with enough supplies to mix 50 lbs. of "Lonestar sparky" with Pat G. in Texas. Trip got cancelled, so I unpacked the Toyota. :(
Today, I'm prepping rockets for this weekends TRA/PHX launch.
:)

vnNVnYh.jpg

SAAB 372 Thread up and kickin'.

b5F5dS4.jpg

SAAB BAMSE.

A engineering student dork with a Solidworks program is a happy dork. 54mm HPR airframes 38mm MMT.

Last edited:

That's an RB-05A. Already got a Wildman RB-05A. They don't make a BAMSE kit in 54mm with 38mm MMT. And I already modeled it so it's CNC machineable and printable. And some other DORK complained about TLP kits SAAB 372 with a thread no one else answered for months was the only small thing out there and I modeled another bigger one for HPR. Because I can. Because I really doubt most people could "Garage" build power series transitions accurately without a CAD. Sheessh.

But thanks bro.

Dragging my feet on cleaning the basement so I can start catching up on a few builds. So to create some motivation, I bought Zodiac from Mac Performance, and a DarkStar Extreme from Tim. Now I will have to clean so I can make some room for them. :)

Got up early, loaded the van, & headed out. By the time I got gas and drive-thru breakfast, realized I wouldn't get to the field until time for clean up. Headed back home. :(

Went to a very cold but successful CRMRC launch.

I flew two things, both scratch builds from before I joined the forum that have been waiting for a launch opportunity.

First up was an upscaled Estes Dark Zero in BT-60, on a C11-5. Low and slow to 316ft w/ PerfectFlite FireFly. No pics/video of flight, someone else has video of all of the launches so I'll post that when it goes up.

Next was the Altus-V, a custom BT-60 rocket with drop-away boosters- mine are custom made w/ 3D printed hooks that fit onto conformal rail guides. Again, no pics. This was my "failure rocket" for the day- it flew on an E9-6 and a pair of B6-4s, so a BP E in the cold, clustered and staged. However, it did not live up to its aspirations, flying pretty straight to around 1200ish feet if I had to guess. Ignition was perfectly timed with old-style Estes igniters. I forgot the altimeter in this one- it turned out to be a good thing, as the overly heavy payload bay nose was yanked off at deployment. Not a big deal- I have a lot of them. But a whole lot better than losing a $25 altimeter.

I would have loved to have video- I even tricked someone into filming for me! However, my phone ran out of space at "2", so no luck there... It should be in the combined club video though, so I guess I'll just wait until that goes up.

My kids flew their Formula 38s. My son used an F59 & my daughter used a G80. The sim said it'd go about 4000' with the G80...it definitely went high. I'm glad we had the Eggfinder Minis in them.

I flew my 29mm MD I-motor bird for another record attempt. I missed my previous record by 261ft, but the flight was gorgeous. Today's details: CTI I224, 14,335ft & Mach 1.9 from Jean Dry Lake at 2800 ft elevation.

Back