What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome, low-key club LPR/MPR launch today, flew some fun stuff including a maiden on my Turbo Vortico, an out-of-sight shot with a B motor in my Estes Zinger clone, and flying my 90's vintage Estes Saturn I-B.

Went to Tripoli Vegas' SpringFest. Designed & 3d printed a fake 38mm H motor to use as an ejection testing plug. Going back for more SpringFest in the morning.

Successful L1 cert flight today and Aspera III flew and recovered successfully...

Also watched a fellow club member L2 certify successfully (he flew 1500km down to the site to fly today - amazing effort and commitment!)

All up a greet day - write up, pics and videos to follow once I’m showered and have pulled the footage of the in flight camera (with a little surprise footage hopefully - the cameras flight was not nominal...)

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

1. I worked more on my rocket-building area. Thank you Ikea for helping me keep it cheap and organized!

2. I took my first go at papering fins with my Quest Mean Green. I used the method in the Apogee Newsletter, Issue 250 (https://apogeerockets.com/education/downloads/Newsletter250.pdf) and I must say I think I'm pretty happy with it. I used the new Gorilla Glue Spray Adhesive and I did get some on my fingers, which then got on the outside of the fin, so I'll be sanding that off when I finish and seal the edges with some thin CA. I think maybe next time I'll be more careful with where I put my fingers, or wear gloves.

3. I chunked up some big pieces of corrugate to make fin guides. Taking advantage of having some big boxes around. I also made a fin guide for the Mean Green. I think I like the simplicity of the cardboard.

4. I dusted off and applied some wood glue fillets to my Estes V2. A bit of sanding and it'll be ready for finishing in no time! I'm gonna go with the classic black and yellow White Sands roll pattern.

Overall, a very productive day for me and my rockets!

Successful L1 cert flight today and Aspera III flew and recovered successfully...

Also watched a fellow club member L2 certify successfully (he flew 1500km down to the site to fly today - amazing effort and commitment!)

All up a greet day - write up, pics and videos to follow once I’m showered and have pulled the footage of the in flight camera (with a little surprise footage hopefully - the cameras flight was not nominal...)

Congratulations!!!

I shot the last coat of clear on my Quicksilver for a while. She still needs lots of wet sanding and polishing, but I still plan to launch her in early April as-is. As of today, all rocket projects are officially on hold for about the next three months while I pack up and move to a new house in late April. Hopefully I'll emerge on the other side of this with a climate controlled rocket shop so I can work through summer and winter.

U2ozxFsl.jpg

Looks great, AeroAggie!

For me, I hit Tripoli Vegas' SpringFest again today. The weather was amazing & there was lots of great flying.

I'll post more pix when I get time to go through them all. Here's one of today's flights.

IMG_5482-2.jpg

I finally got into my rocket room to begin the cleanup. I have pretty much been of it out since the fall due to the amount of stuff my wife stored in there, but over the weekend I had an early spring cleaning. A few weeks a go I installed some new LED T10 lights, as well as added a couple extra outlets. After this weekend clean up I was able to get my painting cabinet up off the floor and on the wall out of the way. This allowed me to store my vacuum pump under it, instead of on top of it, which was a pain.

Next up is an 8'x30" wall mounted cantilevered work bench, followed by a 6'x3' work table on casters and some strategically placed shelving and cabinets. This organization is way overdue and hopefully when it is finished I will be able to get through some builds as well as take on some bigger projects. I will probably need at least one more light and two more outlets. I may also put down some rubber flooring just to help with the stress on the old joints.

I finally got into my rocket room to begin the cleanup. I have pretty much been of it out since the fall due to the amount of stuff my wife stored in there, but over the weekend I had an early spring cleaning. A few weeks a go I installed some new LED T10 lights, as well as added a couple extra outlets. After this weekend clean up I was able to get my painting cabinet up off the floor and on the wall out of the way. This allowed me to store my vacuum pump under it, instead of on top of it, which was a pain.

Next up is an 8'x30" wall mounted cantilevered work bench, followed by a 6'x3' work table on casters and some strategically placed shelving and cabinets. This organization is way overdue and hopefully when it is finished I will be able to get through some builds as well as take on some bigger projects. I will probably need at least one more light and two more outlets. I may also put down some rubber flooring just to help with the stress on the old joints.
Fancy, fancy, I like it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Rocketry Forum mobile app

Finally worked on something rocket. My L2 Loc Magnum that broke the NC Bulkhead at MWP 2016. Finished the new bulkhead, removed and redid the torched ignition wires from the PET2 to the engines with heat wire. And removed the LIPO from the EBay - 1.5 yr later still connected and has plenty of charge - gotta love lipos.
Recharging LIPO, then will fit the Eric Cayemberg Sconnie White K540 and a couple H195 to check everything later this week to attempt an air start at Midwest Blast at 3 Oaks in late April.

Bought some nose cones off eBay.
Ordered some tubes and centering rings from Balsa Machining
Have balsa and basswood, just gotta decide what I want to build.....

Finished 2/3 of the T to T lamination of my GoDevil 54 with some woven Carbon-Kevlar cloth. The cloth I've had kicking around for several years and I got it because I liked the look. Hope to finish it in the next couple days.
William

IMG_1087.jpg

IMG_4101.jpg

Today I worked on an order for this year's Rocket Club at my school. We have 32 members this year, ranging from first through seventh grades. This represents about 25% of the total enrollment at our K-8 public school.

Opened a couple packages.
Thank you Tim and Jackie. Happy to have my Goblin, was my Fathers childhood favorite rocket. I'll surprise him with the upscale. Now I need to find Piper Cub yellow. In memory of my Grandfather's J3. It will be "Goblin Cub"?

And thank you Dan P. Just as pictured. Lots of building to do... Super excited to have this kit.

View attachment 341341

View attachment 341342

Attachments

• 0321181414_HDR.jpg
    0321181414_HDR.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Finally worked on something rocket. My L2 Loc Magnum that broke the NC Bulkhead at MWP 2016. Finished the new bulkhead, removed and redid the torched ignition wires from the PET2 to the engines with heat wire. And removed the LIPO from the EBay - 1.5 yr later still connected and has plenty of charge - gotta love lipos.
Recharging LIPO, then will fit the Eric Cayemberg Sconnie White K540 and a couple H195 to check everything later this week to attempt an air start at Midwest Blast at 3 Oaks in late April.

YES!!!!:cool:

Sifted through totes and organized the rocketry supplies and prepped for the first class of 2018 this Saturday...and discovered I had three kits I'd forgotten I owned and ordered some Kevlar cord.

Designed and printed this 1.125" Nike Smoke, will make a kit if anyone would be interested.

r53LiOHl.jpg

Last week our 11yo Golden Retriever was diagnosed with anemia. Today after a sonogram, the vet called back to give us the worst news of bleeding tumors over 90% of his liver and spleen and Olly would not make it through the weekend. I had to put him down this morning. As of right now, I have kit bashed several Alpha kits and have downscaled a Kraken, Delta Heavy, Snarky, Lightning Fury, and probably a Red Strike or Explorer. On a positive note, I have an idea of what the kiddos can build, the hardware to demo, and launch at school next year when we get the club rolling.

Thanks, been there, done that with other kevlar cloth. Most likely will put a finish coat of epoxy on it then lightly wet sand with very fine grit paper then shoot it with 2-part clear urethane.

I started a 1 year membership on The Rocketry Forum. Just a heads-up; you will have to use the website because the Android app would not allow me to do it. The payment method is Pay-Pal through your account or via credit card.

Last week our 11yo Golden Retriever was diagnosed with anemia. Today after a sonogram, the vet called back to give us the worst news of bleeding tumors over 90% of his liver and spleen and Olly would not make it through the weekend. I had to put him down this morning. As of right now, I have kit bashed several Alpha kits and have downscaled a Kraken, Delta Heavy, Snarky, Lightning Fury, and probably a Red Strike or Explorer. On a positive note, I have an idea of what the kiddos can build, the hardware to demo, and launch at school next year when we get the club rolling.

Sorry to hear about your pup. I'm still heartbroken over losing my little Dachshund a couple years ago.

Just ordered the trick 3D-printed mounting kit and receiver box for my Missileworks T3 system. Spendy, but hopefully my tracker will last a long time, and, you know, bling bling yo.

Went down to the shop to try to sand down the wrinkled paint on the re-repainted WAC nose cone -- and found that the wrinkles had gone into remission. Still needs to be sanded and repainted, but it is a lot better than it was the last time I looked at it.

I am trying to figure out if the elves are rewarding me for a kindly act? Wast it the time I gave my last pack of A8-3s to that strangely dressed child, holding an Astron Sprite, alone and palely loitering the end of the flight-line. Was it the tangerine I offer to the wandering mendicant, crouched in the shade of the ruined general store outside Millican? Perhaps it is best not to wonder -- and just to try to be the kind of person who deserves the occasional lucky turn?

craqelure.jpg

Back