What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:caffeine:Woke up at 4:30am thinking about my Tube Tapering Project and could'nt stop thinking about getting back on it, so eventually I got up, and now I'm getting coffeed up and ready to start messin' with it again.:)
The reason I'm anxious to knock this out is that there is not many days left here where the Weather will be amenable to painting. I would like to make this section of Tube, and put some Primer on it to see how well this new Technique looks when finished.

Tapering Project CA Joinery 001.jpg

Last edited:
Spent a bit of time working on my Polecat Aerospace Goblin 5.5 and ran a few sims. Trying to see the differences between baby J motors in 38mm vs 54mm. Looks like the 38mm ones deliver a great acceleration than the 54mm's.

I currently have way more 38mm cases than any normal person should but have no 54mm hardware.

Yet.

I just created this GitHub repo to contain the code of my Lawn Dart C program. It is a rocket flight simulator for the terminal (command line), so no fancy graphics there ;)

The output is not even remotely accurate/usable now since I need to created a decent drag model. As stated on the project page, it is still very basic but hey, it's my first C project!

Last edited:
Fins! I finished my fins! All of them! All 12 if them!
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1411613297.390878.jpg
Split fins on two stage models. That's a lot of fins!

And to think, my project for LDRS next year is also a two stage split fin model...

Now all that's left is the nose cone and the sustainer av-bay. I plan on having removable bay for the nose cone so I can put a tracker in it.

T34 is that filament wound CF?

Also i have finalized my design for my level two cert... i think

T34 is that filament wound CF?

Also i have finalized my design for my level two cert... i think

It's not CF. It's the black fiberglass that wildman kits come in. I think it's that profusion stuff that proline makes. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

It looks pretty sexy, either way!

Krusty

Thanks! I'm a huge fan of the darkstars, love that split fin design.

But I've really tried my best in putting this one together. In my opinion, it already looks better than the rocket I got my l1/l2 on.

Size comparison (because I can):
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1411621562.967146.jpg
That Darkstar is a lot of rocket!

Started working on the bottleneck, filling and sanding :p Filled 8 rockets with spackling. I thinned it down more than usual and really like the results. Way less clumping to sand off and it just seems to be smoother. I'll find out later when I paint but I expect good results :) Dang, that reminds me, I have a BT80 cone that needs filled. I'm not doing the fins because they are getting fiberglassed. I would like it done by Oct. 4 so maybe I can get certified before another Tripoli card runs out :p It has a 38mm mount and I just happen to have an H242-10 that would be perfect ;)

Spent a bit of time working on my Polecat Aerospace Goblin 5.5 and ran a few sims. Trying to see the differences between baby J motors in 38mm vs 54mm. Looks like the 38mm ones deliver a great acceleration than the 54mm's.

I currently have way more 38mm cases than any normal person should but have no 54mm hardware.

Yet.

I'm happy to lend you some of mine, if you're planning to fly at TCC or SR.

Ari.

took 360g of #4 shot added 28.7g of mixed epoxy, and poured the whole conglomeration into a nose cone...I sure hope the folks at devcon got their figures right for mixing by weight :).
Rex

took 360g of #4 shot added 28.7g of mixed epoxy, and poured the whole conglomeration into a nose cone...I sure hope the folks at devcon got their figures right for mixing by weight :).
Rex

What rocket build is that for?

my Madcow 4"(dia.) phoenix(AIM54). after the epoxy sets I get to sand off the excess skewers sticking out of the cone :). then recheck the cg location.
Rex

Placed a US Composites order.

Also got two nice cots from gander Mountain for a camping trip. How is this rocketry related? Our three year old looked at the sky, saw three stars and said "there are so many stars"...my wife and I have rarely been so ashamed as parents, I'm raising city kids...this must change. So not rockets, but space anyway...headed to an International Dark-Sky Association certified park (Enchanted Rock) for a camping trip in two weeks. Unfortunately a full moon, but surely more stars than suburbia.

8 of the 9 sanded and ready for primer :) #9 got it's SEMROC BNC80-G3 filled and sand, too. Wind is blowing a gale right now, if it's nice tomorrow then it's on to primering. Tonight's task is to get on the fiberglassing of fins on the BT80 rocket.

I got the stuff in the mail I've been waiting for, 200 feet of 100# test braided Kevlar for shock cord mounts and a 5 kilogram x 1 gram scale. Already using the scale to weigh rockets. As that was my only concern with a scale a 1 gram fineness is plenty good enough. Mainly bought so I can use the right motors for the right weight. I'm pretty good at guessing but many of my more recent builds are heavier than they look to stand the stress of the newer motors.

Placed a US Composites order.

Also got two nice cots from gander Mountain for a camping trip. How is this rocketry related? Our three year old looked at the sky, saw three stars and said "there are so many stars"...my wife and I have rarely been so ashamed as parents, I'm raising city kids...this must change. So not rockets, but space anyway...headed to an International Dark-Sky Association certified park (Enchanted Rock) for a camping trip in two weeks. Unfortunately a full moon, but surely more stars than suburbia.
Having lived in a decidedly non-Intl Dark Sky Assn certified neighborhood for almost 30 years, on my first trip with my telescope up to the Sierras (5000+ feet) I spent most of the evening just staring at the Milky Way...enough starlight for my dark-adapted eyes to spot things on the asphalt parking lot.

About five years ago the County replaced all the "sombrero" style street lights (see attached picture) with extremely well shielded models and I can now see the Milky Way when I sit out on my backyard patio.

View attachment 185342

Rocketry-wise I'm working on my Polecat Aero Goblin 5.5, epoxying the motor mount assembly into the body tube. I also reviewed my plans for the nose cone alt bay and am thinking of going a different route for constructing same. Some experimentation/trial constructrion will be needed.

Last edited:
Fixed battle damage to some of my rockets from last weeks launch.

TA

Removed the Stack of Books from my papered V2 Fins. I'll finish them up and fit them to the Tail Cone later today.:)

Having lived in a decidedly non-Intl Dark Sky Assn certified neighborhood for almost 30 years, on my first trip with my telescope up to the Sierras (5000+ feet) I spent most of the evening just staring at the Milky Way...enough starlight for my dark-adapted eyes to spot things on the asphalt parking lot.

About five years ago the County replaced all the "sombrero" style street lights (see attached picture) with extremely well shielded models and I can now see the Milky Way when I sit out on my backyard patio.

View attachment 185342

Rocketry-wise I'm working on my Polecat Aero Goblin 5.5, epoxying the motor mount assembly into the body tube. I also reviewed my plans for the nose cone alt bay and am thinking of going a different route for constructing same. Some experimentation/trial construction will be needed.

Having that view at hand is a great luxury. I took it for granted when I was a kid because I lived in the middle of nowhere, and if the sky was clear the stars were on. At that time I was fascinated by the idea of sidewalks, craziest thing I had ever heard. My sons marvel at stars, and couldn't care less about sidewalks...this turned out to be one of those great moments when my kids put me right.

Back