What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unpacked everything I had ready for the CRASH launch in Denver. It has been beautiful for the past week, and it turned cold today, started raining, and snow is in the forecast. :mad:

On a positive note, I finished my Semroc Mars Lander (I had planned to fly it tomorrow). Pictured here next to my Estes Outlander.

WOW!:jaw:

Those are beautiful!!!:clap::clap:

Nice Work!

Prepped 6 rockets and motors for tomorrows club launch. Weather is looking great. Temps close to 60 and light winds. Hope they haven't started spreading that Vermont liquid gold (manure).

Did an Ork. File for my "Mini Grey-Scale Zero".

It's how you do a Cardstock mini BBZ when you are out of color ink.:wink:

Mini Grey Scale Zero 13mm 2002-12-31 004.jpgMini Grey Scale Zero 13mm 2002-12-31 009.jpgMini Grey Scale Zero 13mm 2002-12-31 006.jpgMini Grey Scale Zero 13mm 2002-12-31 010.jpgMini Grey Scale Zero 13mm 2002-12-31 011.jpg

View attachment Mini-BlueBirdZero13MM.ork

If I knew how to edit the PDF to make it say Black Bird Zero or Grey Bird Zero I would, but it's a miracle I can even use a computer, so that's not happening.

Now, where to find an old Apogee Composite 13mm C6-10.....

Seeing as how the rocket is ridiculously stable, and free to reproduce on my printer, I plan to use it as the sustainer of a boosted model using the next best thing, an 18mm D21 with fins attached.:wink:

I just learned that it is socially acceptable to use a composite to boost a BP, and that sounds exciting, so let's investigate further....
I just got into Cardstock stuff as the techniques are applicable to my Gammon project, so I'll get some practice making paper parts and maybe a rocket or two out of the study.

I'm almost tempted to assemble it without fiberglassing it....

Yup, not gonna' happen, as I also need to start practicing the .5 oz. glass cloth. I'm kinda dreading it for some weird reason. It just looks so fragile. I used to dread paper parts too, but they really are the cats meow, and we don't need altitude or "Perfomance" in my neck of the wood where there are too many woods.
Sure, you can fly a rocket that goes high and has a parachute,.....Once.
Unless of course you have a chainsaw, but folks don't like to let you fly in their field when you start talking about the flight possibly involving cutting down trees.

I also realized my Keyboard is broken. %^&&*:mad:

Last edited:
I'll never want for BT-5 nose cones again!
I have developed a method for making them using a piece of a spent motor casing, a small dowel, paperclay and a strip of the thinnest balsa stock that BMS sells. The balsa strip is the key to the process, as it is able to be wrapped around the paper clay that is first sanded down to the diameter of the casing during the shaping process.
Small washers are used to center the dowel while the clay is still wet, so the piece can be chucked into a drill to be shaped. The paper clay shinks slightly as it dries, so there will be a slight gap in some spots between the casing and clay when it was dry, so I poured CA in there first so it would not come free while I shaped it.
This one is going to let me create a BT-5 Sparrow AIM-7 that flies on MMX motors.
Paper clay is extraordinarily light when it is dry, so weight is not an issue.

BT-5 Balsa Paper Clay Cone 2002-12-31 003.JPG

Today, I managed a bulk priming of most of the rockets that I built over the wonter. There are still two that aren't quite ready to spray. But this was the first weekend with warm weather and sun that we've had. So, onto more sanding and repriming...

26443433366_7a9cbba26b_b.jpg

From left to right: Berthasaurapod (pods not attached yet), 3" Astron Cobra, DRM, Astron Sprint XL, BT60-sized Black Brant III, Semroc IRIS, Semroc Cherokee-C.

Today, I managed a bulk priming of most of the rockets that I built over the wonter. There are still two that aren't quite ready to spray. But this was the first weekend with warm weather and sun that we've had. So, onto more sanding and repriming...

26443433366_7a9cbba26b_b.jpg

From left to right: Berthasaurapod (pods not attached yet), 3" Astron Cobra, DRM, Astron Sprint XL, BT60-sized Black Brant III, Semroc IRIS, Semroc Cherokee-C.

Good to see a fellow North Easterner had the same idea of what to do rocket wise on a day like today!

Launched with Woosh today- I had to leave early, so only two rockets. I did get to see the "demon sport drag race", thanks to CZTeacherman providing the motors (AT G64W). Somehow, the evil Wildman wouldn't reveal what was in his Demon Sport- but it was the "sparky-est" G64 that I've ever seen. My theory is that it was actually a G75 Metalstorm.

Great weather, and great launch!

Nifty technique, very creative!

Thank You!!
I'm practicing all of these miniature techniques for a singular goal. The creation of the struts, both fore and aft, that hold the boosters to the sustainer on my SA-5 Gammon. My personal Holy-Grail of model rocket parts.
I need to be to this particular component, what KidRocket is to the Canard Assembly of the TALOS. I have to get it looking good, but at the same time, I need it to be uniform, lightweight, and reproducible.

If your methods are scrutinized, they should meet the standards of all the REAL Rocket Scientists that frequent this forum. It's hard to argue with them, so you should not bother, and rather turn you energies to learning from them.
Thanks Real Rocket Scientists!!!

There are more than a few members here that I really look up to, and they have totally supported all of my endeavors, so I just have to mention it from time to time.

Last edited:
we had some nice weather (sunny, mid 70s, and reasonable winds) so I got to test fly a couple of rockets. flew my 'Ranger Wanabee' on a D12-5 (/w 3.5 oz. payload) about as good as it gets( around 1200') and the 'Ringmaster' on an E18-6, likewise a good straight flight. my conclusion, neither of them needs more power. also flew my 'Jart' and my MC Patriot(4" dia. paper).
Rex

I'm practicing all of these miniature techniques for a singular goal. The creation of the struts, both fore and aft, that hold the boosters to the sustainer on my SA-5 Gammon. My personal Holy-Grail of model rocket parts.
I need to be to this particular component, what KidRocket is to the Canard Assembly of the TALOS. I have to get it looking good, but at the same time, I need it to be uniform, lightweight, and reproducible.

I know it's not what you're likely to want to do, but 3D printing would satisfy those requirements pretty nicely. As I assume the parts are pretty small (although I don't know exactly) they'd be very cheap to print.

Spent the monthly rocketry budget on a new Hakko soldering station, an assortment of tips, Rocketflight cluster fire pyrogens, and all the other stuff to make my own low current igniters. I'm done being beholden to Q2G2s for clustering. Also want to get into air starts, so custom low current igniters will be helpful. This also give me the ability to turn those new Estes initiators into actual igniters.

Last edited:
Spent the monthly rocketry budget on a new Hakko soldering station, an assortment of tips, Rocketflight cluster fire pyrogens, and all the other stuff to make my own low current igniters. I'm done being beholden to Q2G2s for clustering. Also want to get into air starts, so custom low current igniters will be helpful.

CTI use only an ematch for an igniter thanks to a pellet in the top grain. These are great for air starts and clustering. A fellow in my local club that does staging with AT use dipped ematches. That said, a good, low-current igniter dip is never a bad thing to have.

Tinkered with OR code.

Success with making transparent components such as polycarbonate fins or clear payload bays(see whats inside as well). And made launch lugs colored on the inside as well while I was in there.

transparent_OR_components.jpg

Thanks!
Link to PDF sent in PM.

GREY SCALE ZERO it is!

Got the PDF. It looks great!

Thanks!!!

View attachment 288298

Cool. Another example of good rocket people cooperation.

Although, you could have just left it as blue bird zero, but printed in black and white. It would have had an old time news reel footage feel...I can see it now. "Dateline Peenemuda, December 1944: Unsatisfied with the limited effectiveness of the V1 and V2, Germany tests it's new wonder weapon the Blue Bird Zero under the watchful gaze of it's creator Baron Von Raman..."

Cool. Another example of good rocket people cooperation.

Although, you could have just left it as blue bird zero, but printed in black and white. It would have had an old time news reel footage feel...I can see it now. "Dateline Peenemuda, December 1944: Unsatisfied with the limited effectiveness of the V1 and V2, Germany tests it's new wonder weapon the Blue Bird Zero under the watchful gaze of it's creator Baron Von Raman..."

I'm definitely building both versions, as you can never have too many!
Free rockets are my favorite type!
I want to try one as a sustainer in a boosted version.
Also one middle separation vs. one nose cone eject recovery.
The nose cones come from the Estes almost ready to fly Gnome kit, and I have not seen them available as singles, so I adapted my OR sim accordingly and will order another gnome kit to get the nose cone, then use it's fin can and motor hook for something else.
The shiny body tube is a joke, so I'll give that away to someone.

The BBZ is one of my favorites, as I had one when I was a kid.
Mini Grey Scale Zero 13mm 2002-12-31 004.jpg

Last edited:
Flew 4 rockets at the club launch yesterday. All good flights with JLCR working flawlessly. Did have one AT motor have a malfunction due to a bad forward closure. Everything seemed tight when I built the G motor but when the igniter lit the forward closure blew off and popped the nosecone off at the rail and nothing else ignited. Fortunately no damage, could have been much worse, especially if the propellant had ignited. After taking the motor apart I found the forward closure threads were too worn and could be pulled off without much effort. Put in a second AT 29-120/40 with another G and she went off perfectly. Lesson learned to check used purchases very closely for wear before using.

Today got in some priming. First coat of white primer over two previous coats of gray primer on my MDRM and Partizon. One more coat of primer then they're ready for their gloss coats. Also did some sanding on a couple other birds waiting for more coats of primer.

Primed white.jpgPrimed.jpg

Flew 4 rockets at the club launch yesterday. All good flights with JLCR working flawlessly. Did have one AT motor have a malfunction due to a bad forward closure. Everything seemed tight when I built the G motor but when the igniter lit the forward closure blew off and popped the nosecone off at the rail and nothing else ignited. Fortunately no damage, could have been much worse, especially if the propellant had ignited. After taking the motor apart I found the forward closure threads were too worn and could be pulled off without much effort. Put in a second AT 29-120/40 with another G and she went off perfectly. Lesson learned to check used purchases very closely for wear before using.

Today got in some priming. First coat of white primer over two previous coats of gray primer on my MDRM and Partizon. One more coat of primer then they're ready for their gloss coats. Also did some sanding on a couple other birds waiting for more coats of primer.

View attachment 288369View attachment 288370

You can't really inspect a motor case AFTER a closure blows off and say the threads WERE worn. The threads were damaged from the motor over pressurization that caused the closure to blow off. Don't think you could have prevented this. The threads were probably fine before the failure. Get a replacement from Aerotech.

Back