What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very cool, Ryan!

Today I killed another build. This time it's the Madcow 1.6" fiberglass BBII, modeled after the Wallops Island scheme. Looking forward to flying this one!

20170417_161603.jpg

Heyyy,,
Too cool Ryan...
Don't underestimate how cool it is that your girl flies with you...
Enjoy that for sure..
Very cool man,, lol..

Teddy
Thanks Teddy! I know I'm a lucky guy for that. She's wanting to get L1 and swears she's not going to L2. I believe her. Lol
Very cool, Ryan!

Today I killed another build. This time it's the Madcow 1.6" fiberglass BBII, modeled after the Wallops Island scheme. Looking forward to flying this one!
Thanks Ryan!
That couldn't have been more textbook if it sitting in a college bookstore with a USED sticker on it.

GREAT job.

Lol, very true!

Received that my Cruiser shipment is delayed because LOC had to "Build a Box" for it. I have no idea what that means, but I look forward to finding out. Really looking forward to getting it.
I guess they really phased it out if they don't carry the box for it anymore either.

And I got to test fit the custom 3D lids I designed for Pro Series II transitions that fit an Apogee 1.9" sled.

IMG_20170417_195030357_HDR.jpgIMG_20170417_195110536_HDR.jpg

Oh yeah, the Sea Wolf is ready for battle as well!

That looks fantastic! Mine has been sitting unfinished for over a year. I used epoxy clay for the fillets. My biggest regret in rocketry so far. I may sand them off with the Dremel and use RocketPoxy. That'll be a chore...

Rebuilt my Firestorm. Last week I got a piece of BT-60 from Balsa machining, so I cut a 10" piece off to replace the body tube on this little two stage rocket. I salvaged the fincan, nosecone and the recovery after a C6-5 failed to fire the ejection charge. Did a quick and dirty paint job with some Testor's Hugger orange lacquer and it came out pretty good. I added a short piece of 1/2" tubular nylon to the shock cord to reduce the chance of a zipper, and toughened up the short piece of body tube on the booster with clear packing tape and another soaking of CA. Added the D12-0/C6-5 combo and it's ready for it's 16th flight this weekend.

Worked on the larger steampunk rocket.

Just to be clear, it's for display. That's metal foil, not paint, so...

IMG_2876.jpg

Got a first coat of paint on the Mega Vector Force:
IMG_5203.jpg (and discovered that a PVC rocket cradle works great for painting if you stick an extra-long piece of PVC in one of ends, then counterweight it with something heavy)
...and glassed the 3d-printed nose cone section of this rocket (you'll note that it's missing above)
IMG_5199.jpg
There is much sanding in my future.

Gave thought to entering a Regional contest for the first time in 30+ years! And looked at a few 1/2A RG plans and searched for a tempting "Classic Model" to build.

Last edited:
My first airbrush paint job rebuilding my Estes Vigilante from scratch. My other was over 30 years old and been through a lot and repainted black. It's still flyable but I want to see one back to what it should look like. Love my airbrush. From now on it's mainly what I will paint with. I'm anxious to try some candy colors etc. too.
20170414_130434.jpg
Michael

We'll see about that. Lol

Are you kidding me Ryan,, lol...
Rocketry is addictive for sure...
You MUST know that...
We should get a bet going for how long before she starts thinking about going for her level 2,,, lol...
I say, 1 full year as level 1,, then she'll start wanting to go for her level 2...

Teddy

At this point today it is more hoping to do than have done yet: make progress on this.

33280749074_b40c5742d3_z.jpg

My first airbrush paint job rebuilding my Estes Vigilante from scratch. My other was over 30 years old and been through a lot and repainted black. It's still flyable but I want to see one back to what it should look like. Love my airbrush. From now on it's mainly what I will paint with. I'm anxious to try some candy colors etc. too.
View attachment 317727
Michael

What air brush do you have?

Are you kidding me Ryan,, lol...
Rocketry is addictive for sure...
You MUST know that...
We should get a bet going for how long before she starts thinking about going for her level 2,,, lol...
I say, 1 full year as level 1,, then she'll start wanting to go for her level 2...

Teddy

Trust me Teddy, I know it's addicting! She's getting there, but the reason I don't think she'll go to L2 is because of the cost. And she DEFINITELY won't want me buying L2 motors for both of us. Lol. I'll take that bet, what's the wager!?

Stayed up late last night, had a bad head ache.
Sanded fillets.
Put some glue on the Bullpup on over sanded areas.
One spot on the Hyper Bat, than it's ready for primer.
I have the Scrambler on hold and boxed away as the remaining parts are needed to continue (no funds)
Need to get some Basic Type Tamiya putty to fill in some over sanded area's on the V2's tail cone, than it's ready for primer.
I'll be putting the fins on the Wizard upscale today and starting the fillet process.
Doing some touch up work on the Solar Warrior, nearly ready for primer.
Xarconian Cruiser needs a once over as I believe it's ready for primer.
A lot of wet sanding needs to be done.
Need to find money for primer and paint soon. Before painting season slips away on me again.

That's an interesting kit I've been curious about; feel free to do a build thread...
At the rate I do and can do things a build thread would have a post about every 8 months over a couple years. I did get filler on the nose cone and fins before putting it away to do trains for a while.

At the rate I do and can do things a build thread would have a post about every 8 months over a couple years. I did get filler on the nose cone and fins before putting it away to do trains for a while.

Well, you're talking to "Mr. Slow Build Thread" here, so I'd certainly not be one to complain. ;)

Here are the kit parts for y'all. It is a nice kit. In small parts shot eye screw for nose cone is mostly hidden under centering ring. What I'm going to call the wing guns are long launch lugs; makes sense for light weight. Instructions are 7 one sided sheets stapled together. At some point I scribbled painting notes on instructions. Are taken from 1930s USN planes. Well, more like based on like a movie is based on a book. Wings, chrome yellow. Body, silver. Engine section aft, metallic grey. Engine tubes, or who knows, maybe they are torpedo tubes, Testors 1238 spray grey, same as 1138 bottle grey.

33283018094_aaacc08869_z.jpg

33283017584_97efe96abc_z.jpg

Back