What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Experimented with the Chris Attebery grommet/chute protector set up. Mixed results.

Tried packing Fruity Chutes 42" and 48" chutes. They fit into the Goblin 5.5 with room to spare. Dual deploy will require a reliable Cable Cutter arrangement though.

I put the decals on my Nike Smoke and Mini Max:

WP_003144.jpgWP_003146.jpg

I also finished the paint work on my BT80 Astron Ranger. I haven't gotten the stripe decals yet, though.

We were supposed to start putting together little estes rockets in our Aerospace Engineering class, but our teacher forgot to order one minor part... Body tubes :facepalm:. And launch lugs :facepalm:
She had a full 18X18X24" box of packages of wadding. About 60 packs. Should be enough for 20 people...

Nate

Just finished my Pro series Argent with modifications it has a cluster of six pods three of which will hold D 12 0 and a main with an E or F. The other pods are for looks.

I was going for a bit of the Delta II look.

I ran the model on open rocket looks pretty good.

If this works next version will have a second stage. ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1429969965.058988.jpgImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1429969976.454965.jpgImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1429969992.959055.jpg

Just finished my Pro series Argent with modifications it has a cluster of six pods three of which will hold D 12 0 and a main with an E or F. The other pods are for looks.

I was going for a bit of the Delta II look.

I ran the model on open rocket looks pretty good.

If this works next version will have a second stage. View attachment 261667View attachment 261668View attachment 261669

That's awesome!! I love the Delta look! That's really cool detail without looking too busy. Sweet.

Nate

Built a couple of motors for tomorrow's launch Loki I-405 and AT G-76

I is for darkstar jr
G is for darkstar mini

Went to the first CMASS launch of the year as well and got my Level 1 Certification:) I used a Loc Cyclotron on a Cessaroni H90. Despite the wind it flew quite well and recovery wasn't that bad. (although very close to a stream)

Here's a couple of shots, there's a few more in the HPR forum.

Attachments

• 026.jpg
    026.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 025.jpg
    025.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 051.jpg
    051.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 10
  • Cyclotron 008.jpg
    Cyclotron 008.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 8
Attended the first local launch of the season yesterday. Made 8 flights, all lower power, all good launched and deployments. And I unfortunately sacrificed my D-Region Tomahawk to the tree gods:
IMG_3242.jpg

Flew my Star Trooper on a 1/2A3 right in my backyard and had a successful recovery.:)
Went much higher than I expected, but still managed to land in the yard.

Flew my Star Trooper on a 1/2A3 right in my backyard and had a successful recovery.:)
Went much higher than I expected, but still managed to land in the yard.

I keep meaning to build my third Star Trooper. First one was lost in action, second one was kitbashed into a boost glider pop pod, third one still in the bag although I have a set of papered fins ready. I have a soft spot for tiny rockets :)

Yesterday: got my first taste of RDF tracking! Teddy (Onebadhawk) gave me a crash course, and let me borrow his receiving gear. Yesterday I gave it a whirl at the local park. I had my dad hide it on the far side while I hunted for it. Went 3 for 3, took me maybe 12 mins each time. I was using a BRB 70cm Beeline Beacon and a yagi. On one occasion, he put it behind a tree, and next to metal bleachers. That one was a bit tricky. It was a good experience, and quite fun! I'm feeling a bit better about going at it for real at the METRA launch this weekend, and looking forward to using it regularly in the future! I now understand the whole "don't distract the man with a yagi" thing! It's a cool little piece of technology.

Nate

I could not wait. I've been working on the Mad Cow 4" Honest John kit for over a year, mostly in fits and starts, so I just had to see the whole thing put together after finishing the painting this afternoon. Add in a fine sunny day and, well, here it is. I still can't upload photos here anymore, so here it is on flickr.

Yesterday: got my first taste of RDF tracking! Teddy (Onebadhawk) gave me a crash course, and let me borrow his receiving gear. Yesterday I gave it a whirl at the local park. I had my dad hide it on the far side while I hunted for it. Went 3 for 3, took me maybe 12 mins each time. I was using a BRB 70cm Beeline Beacon and a yagi. On one occasion, he put it behind a tree, and next to metal bleachers. That one was a bit tricky. It was a good experience, and quite fun! I'm feeling a bit better about going at it for real at the METRA launch this weekend, and looking forward to using it regularly in the future! I now understand the whole "don't distract the man with a yagi" thing! It's a cool little piece of technology.

Nate

Nice! Wait till the beeps turn into a rocket.

Wind finally calmed down to launch a few. Mini Max to test the wind that was there, scratch built WAC Corporal, scratch built Honest John, Crossfire, Super Alpha and Vagabond. Other than the first and last, the others were first flights. Partial chute deployment on the Super Alpha led to a cracked fin. Vagabond's chute cords pulled out except for two, fast descent but no damage. Others flew great, all landed within 50 yards of the pad. Overall not a bad evening.

Wind finally calmed down to launch a few. Mini Max to test the wind that was there, scratch built WAC Corporal, scratch built Honest John, Crossfire, Super Alpha and Vagabond. Other than the first and last, the others were first flights. Partial chute deployment on the Super Alpha led to a cracked fin. Vagabond's chute cords pulled out except for two, fast descent but no damage. Others flew great, all landed within 50 yards of the pad. Overall not a bad evening.

Yeah, them tape disks are terrible. I've been reinforcing the corners with Avery Clear Rings and tying the string after passing it through the hole you've already made ;)

Got the launch lug standoffs epoxied onto my Eggspress clone.:)
I'll epoxy the lug on as one piece to guarantee proper alignment, then cut the unnecessary middle portion away.

eGGSPRESS 2015-04-26 003.jpg

I started on a clone of an Estes Scorpius. I cut the tubes, built the motor mount, and constructed the side pods. I'll start on the fins tonight, I expect.

Just unpacked from a recent move (bigger house....but more importantly.....bigger garage with a better workbench!) :wink:

So last night, finally got a chance to begin unpacking my finished rockets and a few of my "in-process" projects. Only minor damage on two in-process projects that will be easy to fix. Anxious to get building again after taking a bit of time off.

Nice! Wait till the beeps turn into a rocket.

Thanks, I went back yesterday and did it again, this time inside of a standard av-bay, as well as a plastic NC. It went well, I saw minimal attenuation of the signal in the FG, and even next to the threaded rod. Then I had him hide it in the school field across the street, about 1/4 mile away. A bit trickier, with metal fences and cars in the way, but it was okay, even under a concrete bench.

Nate

Back