What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went to bed way too late (again) because of those damn rockets...

Signing of for today :)

Ordered one of Landru's newly redesigned 54mm sleds, some Proline 4500 epoxy and a machined bulkhead from Rocketry Warehouse, and four 3g charge wells with terminals and a rotary switch from Doghouse Rocketry. I think I need an intervention, I'm spending too much money! :y:

Not much today. Bought some 1/4" stainless steel quick links for the recovery train of my Polecat Aero Goblin 5.5 and figured out how to stand the nosecone upright while the Aeropoxy holding the alt-bay centering ring sets. Gonna use a fin alignment jig from a 4" diameter rocket set over a 5 gallon bucket.

Set this thing in my Cradle so as I can start thinking about what I want to build it into. I'm leaning towards the upper stage of an upscaled Estes Centuri or a 29mm 3FNC.

BT-55 Conical WTD 007.jpg

Ordered my new hybrid Ground Support Equipment from Pratt Hobbies today. This system will be an updated version, which does away with standard phone wire, inlieu of Cat5e or cat6 cabling. Also contains battery meter etc. Looking forward to flying hybrids again, first time in 7-years!

Added a bluetooth module to my Eggfinder LCD RX unit.
Installed the Rocket Locator app on my phone.
Can't wait to field test!

I spent some time finishing the sanding of my second Estes V-2, after several iterations of fillets, primer, filling, primer. Just when I'm thinking that I'm about ready to start painting it and, as I'm turning it over in my hands, I hear a sharp crack. The fin I had my hand on split along the grain in two places mid-fin. I was not pleased. I'm not sure if the balsa was more brittle there or what, it just fractured in my hands. Since the fins were glued TTW & filleted, it didn't come apart. So, I flexed the cracks open and worked Titebond into them, then held it closed while it set. Hopefully that will suffice. But I'm wondering if I should try to paper that fin, even though its already fully attached and primed...

EXPjawa: I had a similar fin break incident and since I paper them, including the Estes V2 I am currently working on. How did you do the fillets?

Got a PM that was intended for someone else. How does that happen?
I replied to it to let the person know that they sent it to the wrong person.
It was extra funny because they were writing to a member to tell that member that they agree with them on something, but their opinions are so radically different from mine.:lol:

I used a gel epoxy, which let me build it up in a taper, so that the radius of the fillet was large at the rear, but becomes much smaller toward the front of the fin. That's the way the fillets on the actual V-2 rockets are.

Obtained oxidizer from a pottery store. Weird rocketry source. Weird pottery store too. Old school Seattle shop with antlers and animal skulls and logger tools all over the upper walls.

Did some research for Morlock trying to find more Data or good pics' for his Scale MIM-23B HAWK build, but could not find anything better than the Russian Drawing and Data that he already had.
All the pictures in my books are the same as the ones you would see with Google Search.

Started considering a Nike Cajun or Apache Build.

made the commitment and cut up a perfectly good piece of 4" x 31" tube. I've got a vision what this will look like, I should after all the drawing I've made over the Winter. I've got some stuff coming in from Apogee.
IMG_1224[1].jpg

Started work on the Madcow Frenzy 54! My first Madcow kit, and it's by far the most complete kit I've ever seen, a bit more expensive, but you just need to add parachutes really. All FG parts, filament wound NC, 5 bulkheads (4 for AV-bay+ 1 for NC) altimeter bay hardware, shock cord, recovery hardware, rail buttons it's all here! I had a little problem with the CRs, but Mike Stoop was great to work with and the new CRs fit perfectly. I recommend it!

Nate

Must be the day for Madcow Frenzy kits...

Worked on the motor mount for my Black Friday 2012 Frenzy. Sanded the glassine layer off the motor tube for the centering rings and y-harness. Went looking in my "woodpile" for some basswood or spruce to make a rail button block but no joy. Need to go to the LHS tomorrow and pick some up.

Washed out my syringes for epoxy injection. I can see where they will come in handy on the Frenzy.

- Build the motor mount of the TLP FLAIL
- Started working on a square rocket

I put new shroud lines on my homemade parachute last night, and this morning I received my Aeropoxy from GLR. I also went to talk to my old middle school teacher, and set up a one week rocket curriculum like we had when I was in eighth grade.

image.jpg
image.jpg
Got some more work done on my I-ROC kit, got the spirals filled in and the motor tube epoxied in the main air frame. Still have to decide to airfoil the fins or not.

Got my orders from AC Supply, Balsa Machining Service and FG Cloth from Amazon.:):)

T-Hawk and Centuri 002.jpg

I have to say that I am impressed with the quality of the components in the DRT Kit. It's a shame they discontinued it.

Last edited:
Ordered 8 The Launch Pad kits, 2 retainers, and looking for recovery stuff now.
Money is burning a hole in my pocket and this darn hobby is all about burning money! WEEEEEEEEEE

Just ran the final numbers for the 1:1 V2 through Open rocket :)

We're stable!!!

Total mass (without motors) of 880Lb

Here's how it's looking! 2/3 of the rocket, just missing the nosecone in this pic!

V2 Partial Stack.jpg

(Sorry if I've already posted this image - I received it from the project coordinator a couple of days ago)

The nosecone is already on the way, the rest will follow early next week :)

Krusty

Just ran the final numbers for the 1:1 V2 through Open rocket :)

We're stable!!!

Total mass (without motors) of 880Lb

Here's how it's looking! 2/3 of the rocket, just missing the nosecone in this pic!

View attachment 256652

(Sorry if I've already posted this image - I received it from the project coordinator a couple of days ago)

The nosecone is already on the way, the rest will follow early next week :)

Krusty

:y: Holy jeez.... that is HUGE!

I'm too lazy to look it up, but how does it compare to Steve Eve's 1/10th Saturn V? And what will it fly on?

:y: Holy jeez.... that is HUGE!

I'm too lazy to look it up, but how does it compare to Steve Eve's 1/10th Saturn V? And what will it fly on?

LOL yeah, it's a bigg'un ;)

Steve's 1:10 Saturn V = 36 feet (11 m)
Our 1:1 V2 = 45 Feet (14 m)

We're taller by 9 feet.

Saturn V = 1,648 pounds (748 kg)
V2 = 880lb (400 kg)

Saturn V = The rocket was powered by a matrix of nine motors: eight 13,000ns N-Class motors surrounding a central 77,000ns P-Class motor for a total of 181,000ns.
V2 = CTI O25,000 vMax - Total 30,750ns

Steve's was heavier by almost double and had more motors - the challenge we've had throughout the build has been to minimize weight because we only have the single motor.

We've submitted the rocket to Guinness for a record attempt "Largest model rocket based upon Volume" - the V2 has a total displacement of 21 cubic meters or 741 cubic feet.

Krusty

LOL yeah, it's a bigg'un ;)

Steve's 1:10 Saturn V = 36 feet (11 m)
Our 1:1 V2 = 45 Feet (14 m)

We're taller by 9 feet.

Saturn V = 1,648 pounds (748 kg)
V2 = 880lb (400 kg)

Saturn V = The rocket was powered by a matrix of nine motors: eight 13,000ns N-Class motors surrounding a central 77,000ns P-Class motor for a total of 181,000ns.
V2 = CTI O25,000 vMax - Total 30,750ns

Steve's was heavier by almost double and had more motors - the challenge we've had throughout the build has been to minimize weight because we only have the single motor.

We've submitted the rocket to Guinness for a record attempt "Largest model rocket based upon Volume" - the V2 has a total displacement of 21 cubic meters or 741 cubic feet.

Krusty

Awesome! What's predicted altitude on the O25K?

Back