What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothing today, but restored some older mid and high power rockets two weeks ago, just in time for the DARS high power launch up in Gunter, TX last Saturday. Rejoined the NAR and recertified L1 under the NAR at the launch (OD design 4"x78" model with 54/38 motor mount setup) Used a AT I140WL DMS. Successful flight, very slightly marred by one 18 year old chute shroud line breaking at ejection, leaving a lopsided but useable Chute. (Was L1 in Tripoli and member number 2150 back in the mid 1990s, but with no easy documentation, I simply recerted at the launch)

I mostly fly R/C aircraft, but I get a rocket jones every 12-15 years, like clockwork. This is my fourth cycle...:)

I think that makes me a re-re-re-BAR...;)

My fairly new wife has always wanted to see some rockets fly, so we made plans to attend this launch. She has some fine artistic and craft skills, so I got her a nice AeroTech Arcas kit a week before the launch and she completed it with minimal help from me and flew her first rocket on a AT G40-7 with perfect results. We will make a few more launches in the fall.

Still mostly into R/C aircraft, but plan on piling up a few N/s in the course of the next year. Want to do some more R/C RGs as well.

Tom B.

NAR 52002
TRA 2150 (inactive)
AMA 28682

Last edited:
Last edited:
Went to the Local Hobby Shop and baught 2 3 Packs of D Motors. Sure, they were expensive, $17.49 per pack, but I feel bad for the LHS because they don't seem to get much Business. Gotta' throw em' a Bone every now and then.

BP live charge test this evening of eggtimer tested all 3 channels , used charges to hear if a fail and when charges was 25 feet way out side garage window ,, goal was to test battery's and switches with Igniter on each channel as would be on pad , then fire each with laptop.. all 3 perfect

A main
B airstart 2nd stage
aux 1 drogue

picture shows some wiring , paper is old notes disregard
IMG_5470.jpg

Last edited:
Added 2 more Screw Eyes to my Cieling for hanging Rockets. My Bench is a Disaster Area right now so I needed a safe place to put this Rocket up til' I get my Work Space in order.

Finished painting Argent and Tomahawk...
Attaching chutes in the morning.

Will finish Long Tom in the morning too!

More wet sanding, filling, dry sanding and priming on the DoorKnob. I think it might need a little sanding with 400 or 600 in a couple places before I start laying down the color coats.

I finished replacement mini Eagle Claw nosecone and putting decals on Hi flier XL ..also got both Future cleared and prepped for launch .

Then drove to launch and no one was there .. we had a couple of cloud bursts this morning. I am not bummed two more half done things off the bench.

I must have added 3 oz of rocket poxy to nose cone for the 1407012129710.jpg
strap because t he mini eagle claw weighs more now than before and thrust curve said no AT F35W on 3 ft rail..but ok on 6ft .

Kenny

Last edited:
Managed to pull my oh-so-happy self out of bed early enough to go fly with the NASA Houston Rocketry Club. Finally burned 3 motors that were assembled last year sometime, all nominal. Will get a launch report together after I get some chores down and grab a shower...

Added black paint to Estes Patriot and Quest Astra 1. Getting there!

Also completed my 1/72 scale Jaguar GR-1 airplane. Awesome little model I got for 5$ Had not done any airplane model in about 20 years :)

Cleaned out the garage to pave way for next wave of builds...

Neon XL followed by Mega Mosquito

Glassed tube #2 on a group project; 12.25" OD quikrete tube, 3 layers of 6oz. This was a bit tricky due to the transition, but think it came out well. We will see tomorrow when the peel-ply is removed.
DSC_0469s.jpg

Last edited:
Snapped a couple of photos of my recently finished down-scale Blue Bird Zero - BT05 Min. Diameter :)

BBZ-BT05-01-small.jpg BBZ-BT05-02-small.jpg

BT80 BBZ & Beer for scale :)

Also started work on a down-scale-down-scale Blue Bird Zero...

BBZ-MMX-01-small.jpg

Min Diameter Micromaxx!!

Krusty

Last edited:
Started printing the Cat Decals for the Meow Mixer. I'm just using the Heads/Faces. I'll clearcoat them before cutting them out of the Lable Paper so I don't smudge the Ink.

Snapped a couple of photos of my recently finished down-scale Blue Bird Zero - BT05 Min. Diameter :)

Your work is beautiful! Not just the rockets, but the photos are also stunning. Please to look at!

Ari.

Today I gave my Wildman shapeshifter 2 stage parts a bath and then stared at them for about 10 minutes (thinking damm I gotta sand all this stuff before it starts to get fun)

Did some Fillets on my TAN-SAM.
I really wanted to go launch my Crossfire DX today, but I heard some Thunder in the distance and decided it was not a good day to stand in the middle of an open Field.:(

Attachments

• g80.jpg
    g80.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 8
  • h115.jpeg
    h115.jpeg
    166.8 KB · Views: 7
  • i350.jpeg
    i350.jpeg
    228.1 KB · Views: 16
  • j316.jpeg
    j316.jpeg
    233 KB · Views: 16
  • k695.jpeg
    k695.jpeg
    198.9 KB · Views: 18
  • l645.jpeg
    l645.jpeg
    217.6 KB · Views: 18
  • m650.jpeg
    m650.jpeg
    217.9 KB · Views: 15
Too busy with work for rocketry. Had to be content with simming a kitbash in Open rocket when I needed a break. I need to build :(

Back