What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
5 minute epoxy fillets done on PSII Nike Smoke.

And started putting up Christmas lights = cutting into launch prep.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

DSCF4586.jpg
Due to recent rotator cuff surgery on my rt shoulder (and being rt handed), rocket building has been put on hold for several weeks. My wife got me a 1000 pc "Rockets of the World" puzzle to try and keep me busy. The good part of having time off from work for several months is it has given me more to spend more time reading and responding to the posts on TRF. I knew the forum was educational, but I have found it be therapeutic also.:)

Attachments

• DSCF4587.jpg
    DSCF4587.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 20
Ordered some PSII replacement/repair parts, some Loc parts for L2, and a 54mm slimline.

Would have ordered some Madcow repair tube also, but figured I should go home and measure first before I do something rash (Measure twice, buy once!)

Soldered up egg finder LCD-GPS module. Very simple add-on..

View attachment 333165

A task I need to get done before the next launch. Where did you get that yellow helping hands device?

BLKKROW PM'ed me yesterday. He's remodeling his holder for the Eggfinder RX and wants me to check it out. He's adding a spot for the GPS module and bluetooth HC-06, plus some other upgrades. Can't wait to get my hands on it!

Today I mixed up a batch of Don Alexanders Slow white propellant. It came out so slick I decided to mix up another batch of Not your wimpy red. Ran out of time so I will cast it tomorrow.

A task I need to get done before the next launch. Where did you get that yellow helping hands device?

BLKKROW PM'ed me yesterday. He's remodeling his holder for the Eggfinder RX and wants me to check it out. He's adding a spot for the GPS module and bluetooth HC-06, plus some other upgrades. Can't wait to get my hands on it!

Today I mixed up a batch of Don Alexanders Slow white propellant. It came out so slick I decided to mix up another batch of Not your wimpy red. Ran out of time so I will cast it tomorrow.
That is Quadhands. Amazon. Its almost to big for the smaller egg projects.

Finished construction of the Turbo Vortico, laminated lots of fiber parts for the Estes Shuttle, and started fin beveling on a US Rockets Supersonic.

Package arrived with parts from AusRockety.

Epoxy, JBweld, 9” nomex and four pairs of 1010 rail buttons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ProIMG_7709.JPG

That's very nice. I also put heat shrink on a pair of the claws. You don't always want sharp teeth clamping on your projects.

Built another Eggfinder Mini. Seems like I'm getting a little faster. This one went from opening the package to a valid GPS position showing on Rocket Locator in a little under 2 hours.

IMG_8448-2.jpg

Got the Supersonic assembled. Thrustcurve says an F44-8W should push it to just a hair over Mach 1.

20171130_174351.jpg

Just started on a Go Devil 38 I purchased on the Black Friday sales a year back :(

I have a GD 54 as well, but I have some special ideas planned for that on. I feel the need for speed!

Also started planning about four days in Florida at KSC and some other air and space museums. :cool:

Last edited:
Loaded up 4 motors and threw a single use in for this weekend's LUNAR launch. Weighed out and created a rocksim file for a scratch build. (29mm MD).

I got to launch a Estes Mini Honest John on another A3-2T, I just can't get that parachute to come out! :mad:

Thanks,

What's the altitude that you expect for that one?
BTW, that rocket looks great!

Thanks,

Instructions say a G motor will get it to 5,500'. Thrustcurve says the F44-8W will top out a little under 3K.

I like the low-stress nature of this speed machine. With a single-use motor, the monetary risk of flying this is just a few bucks for the actual airframe. No motor case or electronics to worry about.

I finally wired up the switch, battery & Eggfinder Mini in one of my kids' Formula 38 nosecones. I'll get the other one soon. It'll be great to be able to put a G80 in these rockets to launch them out of sight.

IMG_4788-2.jpg

Flew some rockets and used a new toy today!

[video=youtube;as9wamMF4Ds]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=as9wamMF4Ds&feature=youtu.be[/video]

[video=youtube;u1dPC_pzuLk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1dPC_pzuLk[/video]

Last edited:
to me it looked like a rather short delay in the Goldenrod, did you get all the parts back?
Rex

to me it looked like a rather short delay in the Goldenrod, did you get all the parts back?
Rex

Rather short! That's an understatement lol

(Youtube description has the whole story)
The local RC/hobby shop has poor selection of delays and motors. It was only an F42-4T, so I had to distribute weight throughout the airframe to bring the deployment speed down. The nose was heavy and didn't seperate well, so the chute was stuck inside. Everything came back in one piece, and only one fin popped.

The mammoth is such a simple and draggy falling design, that I may make it a tesbed of sorts!

Back