What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still trying to recover from three weeks' teaching rocketry camp to 11-14 year old kids.

Packed up all my rockets, most of my parts, and most of my unbuilt kits for my move to Boston. In three days.

Been busy...

At the request of Will Marchant, moderator, I am changing my avatar to something less controversial. You may now examine the content of your character rather than the color of my skin. :wink:

Ah, the Estes Majestic - with the booster, too :) That's a neat looking rocket :)

Krusty

Thanks Krusty! We had a gay old time even though she took a hard weather cock into the wind on the lack of initial thrust of the Estes F15-0.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1435507466.127919.jpg
Finally unwrapped this fine package, 10yds of 4oz plain weave fiberglass cloth from US Composites. Have a small job to do (glassing a short length of BT-80 to build a new payload section for a damaged mid power scratch build).

...a few of you need to grow up and get over yourselves. DO NOT GET THIS THREAD LOCKED OVER YOUR CHILDISH POSTS. TAKE IT TO YOUTUBE, I'M SURE YOU'LL FIND YOUR AUDIENCE MORE RECEPTIVE!!!

...a few of you need to grow up and get over yourselves. DO NOT GET THIS THREAD LOCKED OVER YOUR CHILDISH POSTS. TAKE IT TO YOUTUBE, I'M SURE YOU'LL FIND YOUR AUDIENCE MORE RECEPTIVE!!!

You know Dave, you are absolutely right! But rather than seeking redress of my grievances on YouTube I am going to direct them to my elected representatives and I urge others to do likewise regardless of the issue. That's what these people are elected for and that is the proper forum for political discussions. Furthermore, if We the People don't make our voices heard the only voices they will hear are the special interest groups.

And glassed the tube - came out very nicely. I cut two layers worth of cloth, laid it flat on wax paper, carefully wet it with West Systems 105/205 (used an old credit card to screed, all excess scraped away). Lightly wet the tube with a small foam roller, then carefully rolled and wrapped while peeling away the wax paper. Touched up with the roller to get the edges smooth. Happy with it, and good practice for upcoming bigger jobs.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1435519951.023597.jpg

Picture test.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1110.jpg
    IMG_1110.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 12
And glassed the tube - came out very nicely. I cut two layers worth of cloth, laid it flat on wax paper, carefully wet it with West Systems 105/205 (used an old credit card to screed, all excess scraped away). Lightly wet the tube with a small foam roller, then carefully rolled and wrapped while peeling away the wax paper. Touched up with the roller to get the edges smooth. Happy with it, and good practice for upcoming bigger jobs.

View attachment 266390

Looks good so far.

Did you wrap the tube with a film? I ask because it doesn't look like it in the photo.

Looks good so far.

Did you wrap the tube with a film? I ask because it doesn't look like it in the photo.

I did not. It is a plain old Estes BT-80, gently roughed up with sandpaper. Poor man's approach to glassing at this point in my skill set.

Got one more tube glassed, And also built this.

How's that for messing with your eyes! Can you see the rocket?

Yesterday, I helped out at the LUNAR launch at Moffett Field. Kind of a slow day, and we ended up stopping the launch about 30 minutes early due to the gusting afternoon winds.

I didn't bring anything of my own to fly, but I got to be LCO for part of the day, so I got to fly rockets anyway. :)

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1435545957.099476.jpg

The finished tube. Came out great. The seam, which you can see in the picture, has been sanded down nearly smooth. I'll do the final sanding once it's been primed. Primer never lies about where your rough spots really are.

I spent most of the weekend's downtime of scrubbed LDRS launches making some repairs, applying decals, and a coat of Future Pledge on a number of rockets.

My fleet for the final day of LDRS:

WP_003397.jpg

Decals on the BT60-upscale NASA Pegasus:
WP_003401.jpgWP_003402.jpgWP_003389.jpgWP_003399.jpg
Better photos in the daylight tomorrow, I hope.

Last edited:
I got my order in from Top Flight today, which included shock cord protectors and a big 24" x 24" nomex pad to wrap my Skyangle XL chute in. So I worked on putting together the main chute recovery system for my Ultimate Darkstar. I also drilled some 5/16" static ports in the 18" avbay.

My daughter and I are putting together a Phoenix Bird this morning. Hopefully send it on it's maiden voyage later this weekend along with my son's Patriot. Us newbies are having fun. :)

20150627_093130.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

This is also my next build... right after another half-done Partizon and another Cosmic Explorer

Installed pem nuts on the avbay coupler and nosecone coupler for my Ultimate DS. Countersunk the outer holes to flush mount flat head screws. Put the avbay together with the payload tube and hooked up the Main chute recovery.
Supervised Sharon as she started building her Gizmo XL, which will be her L3 project. It's really hard to watch her work with a new (to her) tool and not help her out. Kept my hands in my pockets, she is determined to do it all herself. Today she learned how to use a drill press. Drilling holes in her aft centering ring to mount the 98mm Aeropac retainer. Then tapping threads into it, screwing the allen head screws in and cutting the excess threads off with a Dremel. She has a pretty good handle on the Dremel, and by the third hole, she was getting the hang of clamping down the centering ring and lining up the next hole. By the forth hole, she figured out how to get the tap straight in the hole. This is all from a woman that never used hand tools until about 5 years ago. Now she has her own cordless drill! I'm so proud of her.

I keep getting emails from the club...maybe they think I'm a board member.

At this point, there has been no announcement made because the agreement with the landowner is still pending. In other news, the landowner is a rocketeer, is interested in getting his L1 cert, and approached SARG about using the site on his own.

The site is approximately 30 miles north of Snow Ranch.

There are still some details to work out, waivers, fire marshal, etc.

Actually it's two sites :) One Mid-Power and one High Power! Really hoping this one works out.

Actually it's two sites :) One Mid-Power and one High Power! Really hoping this one works out.
When I said it was 30 miles north of Snow Ranch I should have said the site is to the east of Galt. Three adjoining parcels, one of which is midpower and the other falls within the specs for I-motor HPR. The third is strictly low power, if that.

I qualify all of the above with the statement that I'm NOT party to the discussions or negotiations. Simply receiving cc's of the emails being sent.

When I said it was 30 miles north of Snow Ranch I should have said the site is to the east of Galt. Three adjoining parcels, one of which is midpower and the other falls within the specs for I-motor HPR. The third is strictly low power, if that.

I qualify all of the above with the statement that I'm NOT party to the discussions or negotiations. Simply receiving cc's of the emails being sent.

Mmm-hmmm :) I'm just excited to have the potential option for something close... :)

With some deals I found on eBay and Craigslist, I added a mini Bandito, Viking Research, SR-71, and a second D-Region Tomahawk to my build wall. Also got started painting my first Tomahawk.

20150630_143000.jpg

Latest posts

Back