What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made a couple of plugs for Loc 3.9 airframe so I can chuck them up in my wood working lathe for sanding after FG laminating and priming (Plugs are made on the lathe of course). Its very fast for removing thick filler primers and Bondo Glazing putty. The plugs look something like the ones pictured on the right except only one step, the one pictured does 3", 54mm, 38mm and 24mm iirc. I also put another coat of filler primer on the airframe of my FG wrapped MDRM, the photos on the left are the airframe after lathe sanding, lots of little pinholes to fill.

MDRM9.jpgMDRM10.jpgTubeCenters.jpg

Discovered I need to go OS again. So I’ll miss yet another launch day at my club. This makes it that I’ll have missed the December, January and February launches.

I was planning my L1 cert flight...

:-(

Looks like I’ll have to wait another month.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Discovered I need to go OS again...

Open Source? Ordinary Seaman? Operating System? Off-site? Order of Santiago? Surely not...Osmium!?

Sucks about missing the L1 cert. What were you going to fly, and on what were you going to fly it?

For my part, a picture of what I will be doing rocket-wise today.

20180201_191023.png

Unless its not too wet to paint, in which case I will be painting. (Unless I decide to binge-watch Altered Carbon)

Last edited:
Come to Texas

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Rocketry Forum mobile app

I’d love to!
Phoenix is where my only grandchild lives (along with her mom and dad). As a result my wife and I try to come here a couple times a year for two weeks or so at a time. Last night we returned home to Butte, Montana, where it’s still winter.
What part of Texas?

Steve Shannon

Open Source? Ordinary Seaman? Operating System? Off-site? Order of Santiago? Surely not...Osmium!?

Sucks about missing the L1 cert. What were you going to fly, and on what were you going to fly it?

For my part, a picture of what I will be doing rocket-wise today.

View attachment 337625

Unless its not too wet to paint, in which case I will be painting. (Unless I decide to binge-watch Altered Carbon)

tell me about Altered Carbon. Is it good? No spoilers, please.

Today I realized that the motor mount I epoxied in last night doesn’t have the eye bolt or the Kevlar string that I wanted to install.

OS probably (in this case) means Over Seas, safe journeys.
Rex

Winner winner chicken dinner!

That is correct - off from down under to the UK... because... who doesn’t like 36hrs door to door straight to the office?!

Thank you for your safe travel wishes...

Winner winner chicken dinner!

That is correct - off from down under to the UK... because... who doesn’t like 36hrs door to door straight to the office?!

Thank you for your safe travel wishes...

Well, thanks for clearing that up. Although I was hoping to learn a new bit of Strine; like you say "Original Swagman" the way folks in the U.S. would say "Original Gangster" (for instance -- if anybody anywhere actually ever said "original gangster"). ^_^

Yes, safe travels indeed. And you haven't said what you are planning to launch for L1?

Epoxied MMT with CRs into airframe of Wildman Drago 4. Wish I had done a build thread on this one. This is going to be a great 4” rocket with 54mm motor and HED.

Leaned enough about Fusion 360 (thanks for the help John LaBrasca) to start fin design for my L3.

On a whim, I slapped together the parts to build a BT60 downscale of Mike Pittfield's Black Fly:

26189644638_e637bfc01d_b.jpg

I just need to make a tailcone to complete the package. It should fly well on D12 motors.

Well, thanks for clearing that up. Although I was hoping to learn a new bit of Strine; like you say "Original Swagman" the way folks in the U.S. would say "Original Gangster" (for instance -- if anybody anywhere actually ever said "original gangster"). ^_^

Yes, safe travels indeed. And you haven't said what you are planning to launch for L1?

I am OG; original glue sniffer

Today was finishing Orange Crush and final fill and sanding on the FG wrapped MDRM, the MDRM is ready for final assembly. Graphics cutting and application has been all OC has really needed for a while now, it stands 28.25" tall with a 38mm MMT should be a kick on a H550ST. OC is a scratch build made up of leftover parts and a nose cone from the Tripoli Vegas yard sale.

OrangeCrush7.jpgOrangeCrush6.jpgOrangeCrush5.jpgOrangeCrush4.jpg

Last edited:
That is not the Estes orange crush I was expecting......

What airframe is that?

Its 15" of FG wrapped Loc 3.0 left over from my L2 rocket build, a 38mm MMT, 1/8" baltic birch fins, and a PML (I think) 3" nose cone. About $20 in nose cone, paint and epoxy and TBII.

Blew February's rocket budget on a motor order **grumble-umble hazmat regulations grumble**

Thanks Chris Short! Any news on when CTI Green's will be in for Pro29/39?

I think you meant “Strayan”.. [emoji12]

L1 thread is here: https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=143511

3000ft on an H135 , eggfinder mini, JLCR and JLA3 is the plan.

On a whim, I slapped together the parts to build a BT60 downscale of Mike Pittfield's Black Fly:

26189644638_e637bfc01d_b.jpg

I just need to make a tailcone to complete the package. It should fly well on D12 motors.

Nice. Have you got at OR file for those that might like to clone your downscale per chance? I have MUCH BT60 lying around....

I think you meant “Strayan”.. [emoji12]

You say tear-maht-áh, I say toe-máy-toe ... ^_^

I saw that "MkIV Rocket-Propelled..." thread, but is slid right off my eyeballs before I finished reading the subject line. Saw the words "Companion Pod" and figured it was about a Doctor-Who-themed OddRoc.

Good luck with the cert., when you get back to the flight line.

Been stuck at a hotel all week, so time for another compilation.

[video=youtube;DvAEtjTrIDw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvAEtjTrIDw[/video]

Sick as a dog right now. I tied a couple knots & put some epoxy on my Broken Arrow 54's motor mount though. I should have done a nice fillet on the nosecone side of the MMT's forward centering ring - oh well. I'll slop it full of epoxy when I put it in the body tube.

IMG_5869-2.jpg IMG_5871-2.jpg IMG_5872-2.jpg

Finished assembling the motor mount and papering the fins for my KSR-420S cluster. Used the Macklin Fin guide for the first time. All four fins are now on. Fillets are done. Launch lugs are on. Pretty sure all that’s left is insert the baffle coupler and attaching recovery chute. And of course primer and paint.

Glued the motor mount CRs, spliced the kevlar shock cord, filled seams, cut bulkheads, and stretched Big Daddy 2.5"

Back