What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Meow Mixer looks cool! Are you at all concerned about losing rail clearance with the mini-screws? I would think that the heads might be up against the rail. Test fit?

Mark

Thanks.
There's plenty of room. It slides freely.

I used these (Dremel 'Lathe', sanding sponges and sandpaper):

dremellathe.jpg

to make this (BT-20 cone):

turnedcone.jpg

Stock was made from gluing 4 pieces of 1/4" balsa together, mandrel is a bit of chopstick. Came out OK, need to make one more for a scratch build I'm doing.

Visited the Forum for the first time in a long while, life happens and I haven't spent much time doing anything "Rocketry" for a while now. So, I also spent some time looking for my next rocket - what to do, scratch built or kit? I've gone big heavy rockets with big motors, now I think I'm going the other way - minimum diameter going for maximum speed and altitude. The nice thing about this is - it doesn't break the bank! I quite like the thought of building a rocket and buying a motor for a combined cost of under $100 and having a Mach Buster! I'll be sure to do a build thread when the time comes.

- Continued building the Patriot and chose paint scheme (Deep blue and White shark!)
- Found some plans and materials for my Tintin rocket design
- Played some Kerbal Space Program on my laptop (www.kerbalspaceprogram.com)
- Bought two jet fighter models for a total of 15$. A MIG-21 MF Fishbed (1/48) and a Jaguar GR1 (1/72). Some of the decals will be used on my rockets.

Last edited:
Flew 6 rockets at MDRA ESL-193 on Saturday.
Marvin Magg on an I212SS to 1649ft, dual deploy using the Cable Cutter
G-Force Drag race, Masons vs. Jobs Daughters on G118 Blue Streaks
Frenzy on the new J145 Long Burn Skidmark, 2716ft That was a cool flight!
Olde Bay Daddy (F85 White Thunder) vs. Coors Silver Bullet Daddy (F59 White Thunder)

Sunday: cleaned motor cases, Helped/watched my son build his first rocket, Leviathan. Should have it done by ESL-194, fly on some AT SU G motors.

Painted the Stark Raven Mega Max (38mm)

SRM1.jpg

Last edited:
Came over here to my Moms House to use her Internet to get my Rocketry Forum Fix, since my Internet is'nt working til' I pay my Bill on Friday.
Also made some progress on my TAN-SAM Type 81 Build.
See ya'll Friday!

Got over to Horror Freight yesterday and grabbed a bench belt/disk sander (with coupon) & a new fly cutter. Finished cutting centering rings. Today started gluing a BT70 upscale Estes Goblin...

For the past two days??
Staying out of the rain.

Last Sunday I sprayed the first coat of filler primer on my “DAHAK” scratch built rocket. Since then I haven’t even been able to take it outside to sand it much less continues the primer/painting endeavor.

Not that I’m complaining because we desperately need the rain.

Currently I’m assembling a parts list for several new ideas I have in mind and pricing those parts.

On Sunday, Sharon and I tallied up all the motors we flew last year. Then we decided which rockets we wanted to fly at the next four launches we will be attending. Airfest (4 days), Tripoli Las Vegas Octoberfest (2 days), ROCStock (2 days) TRA/PHX (2 days). We made up a wish list of the motors we wanted to fly in each rocket for each launch based on the waiver altitudes available and how many rockets we might be able to fly each day.
Yesterday I made propellant orders to Wildman's for 22 CTI level 2 motors and an M840 for a back-up motor for my L-3 cert attempt, Balsa Machining for 13 AT motors of various sizes and Bay Area Rocketry for Mike's L-3 Cert Special, an AT M1297 and complete motor casing (5120). My budgets blown for the rest of the year....

Today I went out and flew the newly built Estes Hornet and Estes Super Alpha on B6-4 engines with my kids (5 and 3). It's my first time using swivel hooks on the parachutes and the shroud lines were much less tangled than usual. 2 out of 2 successful flights- would've flown more but it was getting dark. Later will work on assembling the fins on the Estes Plasma Probe

worked on my attempt on steam punking a scratch built rocket. got the LED (tesla coil) wired and working. gotta add some details and put the final paint job on her but she is shaping up
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

Haven't done much in the way of building here lately, it'd just be another to pack. Property is up for sale, got $450k on it. I'll get a pretty good chunk of it, maybe even enough to get a small place in town. I do have one I'm working kinda slowly on, a slightly upscale Ranger. I have an old one from the early 70's, needs work on a fin but still flyable. It's up in the attic, I'll be getting it down to get a fin pattern from it and fix the broken section of the fin.

On Sunday, Sharon and I tallied up all the motors we flew last year. Then we decided which rockets we wanted to fly at the next four launches we will be attending. Airfest (4 days), Tripoli Las Vegas Octoberfest (2 days), ROCStock (2 days) TRA/PHX (2 days). We made up a wish list of the motors we wanted to fly in each rocket for each launch based on the waiver altitudes available and how many rockets we might be able to fly each day.
Yesterday I made propellant orders to Wildman's for 22 CTI level 2 motors and an M840 for a back-up motor for my L-3 cert attempt, Balsa Machining for 13 AT motors of various sizes and Bay Area Rocketry for Mike's L-3 Cert Special, an AT M1297 and complete motor casing (5120). My budgets blown for the rest of the year....

Hope you got some MetalStorm motors for Night Launch !

I hit a garage sale yesterday and found some cool rocket stuff including a 'Miss Riley' tail section - going to see if I can get some guys together like the Rocket Boys of October Sky fame for a group project.

Kenny

Hope you got some MetalStorm motors for Night Launch !

I hit a garage sale yesterday and found some cool rocket stuff including a 'Miss Riley' tail section - going to see if I can get some guys together like the Rocket Boys of October Sky fame for a group project.

Kenny

Pictures of this item would be interesting...dimensions as well.

Pictures of this item would be interesting...dimensions as well.

This is the tail piece, designed to fit a 6 inch tube with room for a 75 mmt .

Also is a pic of that Fyrwrxz Dave had of the Miss Riley

10 -  Miss riley DeLaval Nozzle.jpgmiss riley.jpg

Kenny

I've upgraded the electronics in my L3 rocket from 2001 for the second time.
Last Flown, back in 2011.

Last flight I used an Adept ALTS 25, ARTS2, and a Raven 2

2014-07-30 18.39.55.jpg

Now it will have at least: SL-100, possible ARTS 2 or MARSA 54L and a Raven 2 or 3.
2014-07-30 20.58.14.jpg

JD

Created a page full of logos to print and put on my rockets.

The themes are Cthulhu, Nasa, the Kerbal Space Program, and Drax Corporation Enterprise, from the Moonraker James Bond.

I surfed the net and came up with a couple of rocket assisted gliders from Edmonds Aerospace for sale by Erockets.biz

So I broke down and bought a few to experiment with, and to burn off some of the smaller mini-rockets (1/4A3-3, 1/2A3-2) that I have laying around....

Now if it will just arrive before my vacation kicks in next week, I might be able to finish one or two before the club launch in August.

Back