What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did a little more work on my mini eagle claw I picked up two black fridays ago. I'm not documenting, build threading, or even taking photos of it. I typically enjoy all those things very much, but after a very busy april/may/june building/finishing rockets/av bays it's a very nice change of pace. I did pick up a FW nc for it so I can stuff a tracker in it, but otherwise nothing crazy or special.

Put in my last major stretch (about 5 hours) looking through the dissecting scope. Tonight's project was the Telemetrum. I've got a little bit of touch-up work (3 solder bridges and two resistors that look like tombstones) before I put on the large components and program/calibrate. It has been fun playing around, but I need to build/repair some of the fleet before the August THOR launch (and possibly Airfest).

Needless to say, I will be fully decked out with trackers and flight computers for a while. ;)

Doug

Sanded,primed,sanded primed, sanded again & painted body and NC on my 24mm Super Alpha.
Still have to paint one fin black and add striping,decals/stickers.
Also need to epoxy in the nose weight.

14459107590_3ea6f9c297.jpg

Last edited:
Sanded,primed,sanded primed, sanded again & painted body and NC on my 24mm Super Alpha.
Still have to paint one fin black and add striping,decals/stickers.
Also need to epoxy in the nose weight.

14459107590_3ea6f9c297.jpg

I like the Colors.

Found a new Launch Pad Base on the side of the Road for FREE!!:)
Just needs a little Paint so that it does'nt look so Christmasy.:tree:

Last edited:
I like the Colors.

Thanks I used some extra Dupli-Color paint I had laying around from other builds. NC is "Autum Maple Metallic" and body is "Radiant Silver Metallic" and the one fin and vertical stripe will be "Black Metallic"

Ed

Foun a new Launch Pad Base on the side of the Road for FREE!!:)
Just needs a little Paint so that it does'nt look so Christmasy.:tree:

Or you could just add some lights and ornaments to the rocket.:wink:

Last edited:
Yesterday had hung out with CaveDuck and the Exactimator.

Watched Exactimator power through his night launch rocket enhancements and battery bay go together.

CaveDuck had his lipo charger so we both topped off. I did a fit test on my nightlaunch rocket but still mulling before commiting to a solution - will grab smaller lipo and see how long it lasts with my 5630 string .

Kenny

Did a little more work on my mini eagle claw I picked up two black fridays ago. I'm not documenting, build threading, or even taking photos of it. I typically enjoy all those things very much, but after a very busy april/may/june building/finishing rockets/av bays it's a very nice change of pace. I did pick up a FW nc for it so I can stuff a tracker in it, but otherwise nothing crazy or special.

Here's my Mini Eagle Claw with a Wild Child stuck in the middle to make my Mini Wild Eagle two stage.
attachment.php

Sanded down the first coat of primer on the DS Extreme fincan and put another coat on.
Brainstormed with Sharon on her Stinger. We decided to make it her next build.
Ordered some parts from Rocketry Warehouse to modify the Stinger to fit a 4 grain motor and make a "donut" avbay.
Opened up the avbay on the 5" Jart and found some cracked fillets on the aft CR. Looks like the 4 gram charges were too much for it. So I added a 5" airframe CR to the RW order. That way the ring will sit on top of the coupler instead of inside it. Makes more room for charge cups and can't be pushed into the avbay.
Refinished the N/C on my 3" Blackstar with future floor wax, then found that I had left ejection charges in it from ROCstock. :shock: Removed them and lengthened the wires from my terminal blocks and relabeled them with white heat shrink. Cleaned everything up and put it back together and back up on the rack.
Cleaned up the epoxy station and taped down newspaper to protect the counter.
Sanded down the 75mm MMT of the Stinger to fit the AeroPac retainer.

Sharon was on a roll, she took out her 5" Jart and started brainstorming on a night rocket. Her's is green fiberglass and has the 54mm MMT. Plenty of room for batteries, lights and a Nightbow. I think I'm gonna be jealous. Warp Core Breach upstaged by a Jart!

Well, I buttoned up my Formula 54 so that is ready to fly at LDRS.

I finished the electronics bay for my Wildman Junior. I epoxied the motor mount in, and got the fins tacked into place. I also tapped the body tube for the rail guide screws.

I started laying out the av sled for my Wildchild.

Finally, I started repairing my Loc 4. It separated last launch I was at. The nylon attachment the tune wall finally failed after about fourth flights. The tube came in ballistic and ended up a bit shorter. The chute and cone drifted off. My son got the body and showed to Tim Lehr, and then came back to the car. I fetched the chute, cone, harness, and my Walston transmitter. The rocket has been repaired many times as it has an unerring ability to find the lone rock or tree and knock fins off. So I cut the damaged tube off, took the fins off, peeled the lower eight inches of tube, and did a double layer lamination of it with 6 ounce glass and Aeropoxy.

Mark Koelsch
Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Still striping with Trim MonoKote. The X-acto 9" cutter makes things go much faster and the cuts are of course much straighter.

I bought a big roll of bubble wrap. I'm having to start packing my rockets for an anticipated move. Property is up for sale at commercial prices, I'll end up with a good chunk of money that I have to spend fast or lose my Fed benefits. I can have a place to live and a vehicle so it's RV trailers for me and a Freightliner cargo van and an electric bicycle. The plan is to travel to launches for as long as I can...well...that's the plan anyway :p

Pulled a few screen caps from my GoPro recordings this weekend.

First picture is my Intimidator 3 on a 54-1050 Red. Flew to 3,100' and had a perfect recovery.

Screen Shot 2014-07-14 at July 14, 20147.54.58 AM.jpg

Second picture is the same rocket, this time on a 54-1400 Sparky. Rocket was not recovered despite seeing it land. I think it was either picked up near the road or it is in a tiny bit of swamp land.

Screen Shot 2014-07-14 at July 14, 20147.54.08 AM.jpg

I uploaded my video of July's ROCK launch to YouTube.

[youtube]c-lezw4iKEk[/youtube]

Now, I am playing hookey from work to help some kids launch rockets!

-- Roger

Pulled some more picturs from my GoPro. This is what happens when you have a delay burn through in a Kosdon 38-640 case. The delay was home made, not sure at all why I suffered a burn through. This was the 4th flight of this case with a homemade smoke grain. Needless to say, in the future I will be plugging the well with an NPT plug...

No damage to the rocket or the motor case. Delay insulator and o-rings were still in place and there was no leakage of the o-ring seals.

Bull_Pup_1.png

Bull_Pup_2.png

Bull_Pup_3.png

Bull_Pup_4.png

Bull_Pup_5.png

Bull_Pup_6.jpg

... Sharon was on a roll, she took out her 5" Jart and started brainstorming on a night rocket. Her's is green fiberglass and has the 54mm MMT. Plenty of room for batteries, lights and a Nightbow. I think I'm gonna be jealous. Warp Core Breach upstaged by a Jart!

Exactimator and I were playing with 54mm mmt and the the 5m LED strip wrapped up tight to utilize just over 11 inches of tube . .

Kenny

Yesterday had hung out with CaveDuck and the Exactimator.

Watched Exactimator power through his night launch rocket enhancements and battery bay go together.

CaveDuck had his lipo charger so we both topped off. I did a fit test on my nightlaunch rocket but still mulling before commiting to a solution - will grab smaller lipo and see how long it lasts with my 5630 string .

Kenny

Here it is still in progress. Wrapped an 11" length of 38mm tube in RGB LED strip.

20140714_192553.jpg

Moved the NiteBow to the nose cone. Lens pokes up through a hole in the bottom of the shoulder. Removed standoffs and screwed it to the nosecone. Used a short length of Aerotech package tube to fit over the NiteBow.
20140714_192559.jpg

20140714_192627.jpg

Lipo battery for the LED strip.
20140714_192754.jpg

My daughter had to shield her eyes from the blinding light.
20140714_192741.jpg

With the 2.6" fiberglass tube, it diffuses the light like a glow stick. I tried it with a 54mm tube. There was very little clearance between the LEDs and the tube, which gave it a "corn on the cob" look. The 38mm gives the lights enough clearance for more diffusion.
20140714_194016.jpg

With the Nitebow in the nose on a 9 volt. In the dark, the body's brighter than the nose cone.
20140714_194206.jpg

Thanks to KenRico for the idea to wrap a tube inside the body tube. The part shown is the stop half. The bottom half is the fin can from a DX3, which doesn't light up.

Thanks to KenRico for the idea to wrap a tube inside the body tube. The part shown is the stop half. The bottom half is the fin can from a DX3, which doesn't light up.

I did offer a suggestion. .but this is Marks baby . I saw it in process this weekend..it is ready to fly !

I purchased today a 1300 mAh 11.1v 3s lipo (like Marks) because it is a bit smaller than the 2200mAh purchased previously. If the 1300 mAh will run the 'seizure' or 'pyscho' mode blink for more than 20 mins will get this together quick as a BSD Diab-Glo clone.

Battery will be wedged between mmt stuffer tube and airframe backside so shadow is inline with the rail guides. If I have to do the 2200 mAh battery to run the 6A 5m 5630 LED strip the rocket will be extended and the battery will mount in upper coupler.

Here is a quick mockup video :

[video=youtube;Za9r5ktAXN0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Za9r5ktAXN0[/video]

Kenny

Last edited:
I couldn't stand the dark blue on the upper section of my Ricochet so I sanded it down and reshot it with a blue that better matched the blue in the decals. I have some water slide paper to make my own decals and had to reprint the upper black & gray lines. The gray did not stand out as much as the original decal so I took a gift wrap ribbon that was silver and cut it into tiny slivers and glued them in place. I liked it so much I made some rings too. I am now pleased.

IMG_7684.jpg

IMG_7679.jpg

IMG_7677.jpg

Before After2.jpg

Finished the painting on my 24mm "Super Alpha"

Hopefully it can be seen in the sky without too much trouble.

Ed

Went into the dungeon for the first time in months... It felt kinda weird...
Anyway, glued fins and strakes on a Quest Navaho. Cut fin slots for a BTH70 Goblin upscale. Printed & cutout the fin template for the Goblin.

Finished reapplying new clear coat to my 54mm motored 3.9" PML Patriot. It was pretty much sandblasted on my level one flight/landing at KLOUDBurst 2014. I also attached the new 3D printed camera shroud. It took a lot of sanding and priming to get a smooth finish.

Untitled by [email protected], on Flickr
Untitled by [email protected], on Flickr

Just got a box from apogee components with a mad cow torrent for my Junior Lv. 1 certification! Hope to get working on it tomorrow. I know I'm really new in the forum. Would it be appropriate if I posted a build thread about it?

Back