What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe I will laminate on the outside and cut it lengthways.

After much futzing, wrapped 2 layers of FG cloth and 3 of CF on the outside of the upper body tube. That should be about 0.05" and exceed the original body strength (0.04 black FG).

Patched my 3" Darkstar payload tube after relocating the camera. I decided to add a patch even though I filed the holes simply because this is the payload bay and is subject to pressure from the deployment charges.

24759464146_19ecb42baa_b.jpg

Sanded the inside of the tube for better adhesion

Cut the patch, I only had carbon fiber. I like to leave a very thin boarder to prevent fraying, which can be removed after and does not inhibit the CF from absorbing the epoxy.

24157516694_d0ff2a4e8d_b.jpg

Applied some tape to a sheet of clear mylar just to keep it in place once inserted into the tube

Applied epoxy to the front of the patch then transferred it to the mylar then made sure the epoxy had full coverage on the backside

24667865662_7c35ebe9d1_b.jpg

Rolled the mylar and inserted it into the tube

24157520454_8e11c5897d_b.jpg

Mylar inserted and patch pressed flat to work out as many air bubbles as possible. Tape wrapped around the end of the tube to prevent mylar from moving

24785681685_fb145e724e_b.jpg

Inserted a balloon to apply pressure while the patch cures

24157524014_8fec42271d_z.jpg

Mylar removed and patched sanded and feathered out

24158825453_cfb4cbeb98_b.jpg

Wiped on then wiped off a thin coat of epoxy to smooth it out no rough edges to catch on the chute, it added minimal weight and all finished

Very nice how to, thanks for posting. Very nice results also.

I haven't been doing much in the way of building lately as I started a new job back on late October, but I did just place an order on Amazon.ca for an Estes Nike Smoke PSII for $37.00 +free shipping. I'm pretty sure that's a good deal.

I haven't been doing much in the way of building lately as I started a new job back on late October, but I did just place an order on Amazon.ca for an Estes Nike Smoke PSII for $37.00 +free shipping. I'm pretty sure that's a good deal.

Me too, thanks for the heads up. I also added in a Pink Crayon for $6.82 and waterslide decals for $3.97.

Spent a few hours at eRockets build night last night, and made some progress on my Xarconian Cruiser. Last time I was there, I got the fin pieces glued together (for the most part). Last night, motor mount is build (but not installed), and got the main wings/fins tacked on. Didn't have the time or patience to start hacking tubes apart to build the intakes...that's a project for next week! I'll have to get some pics of my progress so far...this thread is worthless without pics...lol

Went to the Austin Area Rocketry Group club launch today, launched a Astrobee-D which flew straight and true, but sadly the parachute did not deploy -

[video=youtube;EaLoZAt7xQM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaLoZAt7xQM&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Worked on my Estes Scion some today.

Filled and sanded the fins and body tube spirals.
4.jpg

Used epoxy for the first time ever, interesting stuff. I think I can learn to like it. (bonus points for wearing a respirator mask and gloves, feels like serious business). Motor mount, upper bulkhead and baffle halfway down, once cured I'll hit the undersides.
1.jpg

I feel like fillets with epoxy won't be such a nightmare as I initially feared :cool: I'm happy with these, and for the fins masking tape will yield nice clean lines!
2.jpg

So nothing is completed per say, but there is always time for a mock-up of the finished rocket.
3.jpg

Went to the the February LUNAR launch at Snow Ranch.

Put up a flight of my 38mm Crayon rocket on an I212SS to 1800' or better.

Bought one of the new Jolly Logic Chute Release packages. They seemed to be in wide use and many otherwise motor deploy birds were now suddenly popping their mains at much lower heights than is customary.

Also bought a replacement motor for the one I burned today. It's a nice little I300T to use for the for low altitude flights with my Pole Cat Aerospace Goblin 5.5

Also made arrangements for taking the L2 exam next month. Feeling the need for J motors for more shock and awe.

Today, I picked up my rocket in progress, looked at it, set it back down. Not really any desire to build, post, or do anything with the rockets. Seems like the third baby made me a busy feller with non-rocketry related stuff, but as per the original post, I did touch the rocket today.
-Ken

Lots of brainstorming. Putting together a plan to do an L1 rocket for FITS this year.

Did my usual post-launch inventory and stashed the traveling tool boxes to make room in the shop for actual work.

Reviewed the instruction booklet for my new JollyLogic Chute Release, messed with the equipment, read some actual usage reports, and now have some new ideas to try out.

Just received my Nike Smoke in the mail. This will be my first tentative step toward mid-power rocketry and possibly a larger rocket and an L1 cert sometime in the future.

100_0152.jpg

Last edited:
Found my way back here. Checked out Launch Pad's page.

Hey BoK, you still in Nebraska?

Messed around a bit my Chute Release. Tried sourcing some latex containing rubber bands...unsuccessfully. Appears latex is now on the EPA list of almost banned toxic substances and all rubber bands seem to be advertised as latex-free.

Might have to order from the Peoples Republic of China via Alibaba.com.

Money walking out the door.

Just received my Nike Smoke in the mail. This will be my first tentative step toward mid-power rocketry and possibly a larger rocket and an L1 cert sometime in the future.

I have flown that rocket on an H97. I only added a couple onces of nose weight for plenty of safety margin, and a small vent hole in the body tube. You are closer to an L1 than you think...just sayin.

I started drilling injection holes in my off set 4 fin rocket - until rechargeable drill need charging :facepalm:

Also started a Funk Saucer for a guy who them fly at our monthly launch.

Speaking of which, over the weekend flew my first 75mm motor :woot:

Kenny

1455077486584.jpg

1455077495013.jpg

1455077514775.jpg

Went to build night at erockets last night and continued with in the Xarconian Cruiser. Not many steps completed, but happy with what I was able to accomplish. Difficult step involving creating intakes out of some tubes. Pretty hasn't with it so far. Before and after...

1455152080187.jpg

1455152100935.jpg

Back