What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
- Did some painting on the Bull Pup (it already flew half painted) and on the Critical Mass
- Started building the V2

The Critical Mass will fly on a D12 on its maiden flight next weekend (October 4-5) with only the second stage. From there, I'll try two stage with two Ds and then we will switch to Es at the October 11-12 launch in the Province of Quebec.

I can't wait to see it hopefully reach its expected maximum altitude of ~730 meters!

The quest for an appropriate passenger/payload in my new cluster-engine "Scrambler" continues.
View attachment 185639
These guys were rejected: Out of shape, and wouldn't fit.
Does anyone recall what these stretch laytex hand puppets were called back in the day?

Boglins. I remember having Dwork. Used to try to freak my little sister out with it.

and after a bit of digging:

https://nerdbastards.com/2014/06/29/toys-we-miss-the-creepy-faced-hand-puppets-known-as-boglins/

you might be able to find some small boglins (or even some minis) but might not be worth it.

Last edited:
Spent the evening out in the rocket workshop sorting and bagging miscellaneous parts and then storing in convenient sterilite containers. I sure do buy a lot of things from Doghouse Rocketry.

Stored my epoxy, additives, fiberglass cloth/strips, and pumps in a large sterilite container as I had stuff scattered everywhere.

Also went through the motor box and took an inventory of what I have and what I want.

Must have been a day for organizing as I did much the same with my sock drawer and bedroom closet. Go figure.

Do you recall their "backstory"? What the heck are they supposed to BE?

I don't remember there being much of a back story, but now you've got me wondering. I suppose some more net digging is in order, but I've got to get my boys to school - so it will have to wait.

I'm papering the fins of the Estes V2. They will be under press for 2 days now.

Also did my first yellow glue fillets using a syringe. Works pretty good!

Finally had a chance to look thru my video I took from this weekend at Bayboro, NC. Here is a slo-mo of "Carded". I packed the chute a bit too tight and she darted in the mud. Fortunately she is salvageable and will fly again.

[video=youtube;Xd28lxLQTN8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xd28lxLQTN8&list=UUsO71XqnnRmwLLFuLHG4C4g&index=6[/video]

Sanded the primer on my Big Bertha nice and smooth (best surface prep I've done so far!), and painted an undercoat. Fiddled with a blog post I've been working on for a couple of days, while wishing I'd taken more pictures. Read a bunch of Apogee newsletters on my Kindle and ordered parts for a homemade launch controller and my first scratchbuilt rockets.

This isn't even my day off!

Actually got some work done on my Polecat Aerospace Goblin 5.5 in that I epoxied the motor mount in place. Next step was to locate a nice flat sheet of cardboard and I'm in the process of cutting out a fin guide of the appropriate size.

I routinely save large sheets of cardboard for this purpose and for use on my Champion bullet trap to keep the paper targets from blowing around in the breeze.

In the evening I stopped at Lowe's and spied the Rusto Fluoro pink rattlecans on sale for $3.76 so I picked up two. You can never be sure when the line will change so I keep a supply on hand for repairs and modifications.

I also picked up an Elmer's Glue-All for the cardboard fin guide. I normally glue re-inforcements cut from cardboard so that the guide maintains its integrity in use and in storage. Being retired, I have time to obsess over minor details like that.

Finished the fillets on my Loc Hi Tech. A/V bay got some foam added as to potentially help with any unfortunate landings. Tomorrow is Sand and prep day. Then Primer and paint.

Entered the final phase of assembly on our super-duper 4-pad launch controller. My seven year old, who is already into electronics, is dazzled by the "intricate" processes at club launches. So he wanted to build our own multi-pad launcher for when we go out and launch LPR on our own. Lots of lights and switches - what could be better?
He even wants to make up our own flight cards. He'll be the only 7 year old RSO.

Yesterday I stuffed some lead in the nosecone of my Madcow Lil Goblin. Today I am going to check the CG.

Entered the final phase of assembly on our super-duper 4-pad launch controller. My seven year old, who is already into electronics, is dazzled by the "intricate" processes at club launches. So he wanted to build our own multi-pad launcher for when we go out and launch LPR on our own. Lots of lights and switches - what could be better?
He even wants to make up our own flight cards. He'll be the only 7 year old RSO.

That's so cool :) Have him think on an away cell with it's own battery and relay for those rockets needing to be further out. Mine plug into extension cords for ease of hook-up. It doesn't have any LED's or sounds for continuity but those can be added.

That eager that early, maybe he'll be the one that comes up with Warp Drive? ;)

Sent an E-mail to MBD.A Missile Systems telling them what a huge Fan I am and asking them if there is anywhere that I can go to order Promotional Items like maybe a Hat/T-Shirt or a Bumper Sticker.

Which will put right onto the government watch lists. :^)

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Cold and humid, so no painting:

- Continued surface preparation of Critical Mass (some light sanding)
- Removed semi-loose fin on Bull Pup and glued it back using the method with the holes in the tube on each side of the fin and on the bottom of the tube (obviously, I forgot the name of that method)
- Continued building the V2 (attaching motor mount and preparing papered fins)
- Ordered some Rust-Oleum 2X black and white paint
- Ordered some D and E motors for the V2 and the Critical Mass

On a nostalgia kick . . . just converted my old rocket fleet from launch lugs to rail buttons (Vaughn Brothers Javelin, Yank Enterprises 2" Sandhawk, Blackhawk R&D Black Brant X, SA-8 Gecko, SA-14 Gremlin, AIM-120 AMRAAM).

Then looked in my build pile, I found a Blackhawk R&D Black Brant VII and just started building it.

Worked again on my 5.5" Polecat Aero Goblin...fitting the fins so that the TTW fin tangs contact the motor tube properly.

I also finished up the fin guide this bird so that I can begin epoxying fins into the can.

Like to have this baby ready to rock for the October Skies launch down in Helm. First flight on an I285R (1200') and a second flight on a J420R (1720'). And yes that would be my Level 2 Cert flight.

I like red motors.

Made a bunch of posts (while trying to stay relevant) to qualify for the Hardware giveaway... Even though I won't win. (I never win, Im like 0- everything ever)

Oh well can't win if you don't try!

Last edited:
Made a bunch of posts (while trying to stay relevant) to qualify for the Hardware giveaway... Even though I won't win. (I never win, Im like 0- everything ever)

Oh well can't win if you don't try!

Like those motivation poster: "you miss 100% of the shots you don't take"

Finished mounting the fin/intakes to the body tube of my QCC. Going to do the engine mount installation now.

Pulled out a couple of "Mothballed" rockets in my fleet to see what they need to be flight ready as backups for Rocket Jamboree this weekend in case some of my scouts lose/damage theirs and still want to fly. (Or have siblings who get the bug to push the button.)

Spent a little bit of time with my thing-a-ma-jig filling and sanding balsa (I didn't paper the fins) I'm not going to have it painted in time for flying this weekend, but I have other stuff to fly.

Talked to Mike at Bay Area Rocketry to make sure I could get a light kit for Harold for the night launch. (Now I just need to pick motors.)

Back