What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spoke with a fellow at the parks department, and sent a very detailed email to the Park Superintendent about using some undeveloped park land (floodplain) for monthly club low/mid power launches. There is some ambiguity in the local ordinances around model rockets, so it comes down to his interpretation of the rules. So far everyone, even those I haven't agreed with, have been quite reasonable, so I am cautiously optimistic we can at least get a constructive dialog going.

This would be timely as our low/mid power field headed toward urban sprawl extinction in the near term. Being in a floodplain it would be hard to see this field going a similar route, and since we are in a historic drought flooding isn't really a concern either in the near term.

I'm asking for good thoughts from my rocket brothers on this effort.

No joy. Oh well, you gotta put shots on goal if you ever expect to have one go in.

On the bright side I prepped rockets for tomorrows launch. I'm flying my first Warp9 and my first composite cluster (not the same flight, that would be nuts). Should be a good time, or at least it will be dramatic. If you're going to fail, make it memorable.

Finished the cyanoacrylate "casehardening" of av bays and body tubes.

Finalized the design of the nose cone alt-bay for the Polecat Areospace Goblin and marked the bulkhead for "John Coker" av-bay bulkhead, 4-way terminal strip, rotary switch, and u-bolt.

Epoxy'd the motor mount in the body tube of Project OSXP and stripped the white glassine around the fin can in preparation for the fin fillets and T2T work. Tomorrow's plan is to epoxy the TTW fins in place on Project OSXP

Made and Dry Fitted the Aft Section Reinforcement Ring for the Tykon 10 Annihilator out of a spare BT-80 NC.
I made it so that you don't have to stick your Fingers in there to mess with the Retention Hook. A small Wire can be used instead, but I will design and make a dedicated tool for this.
It will be lined with 1.5oz. FG then Aluminum Foil Tape prior to installation to prevent Heat from melting it during Launch.

Tykon10AftSection 001.jpg

Tykon10AftSection 004.jpg

The internal Glassing went well. I used 1.5oz. Cloth instead of 3/4oz., and edited this Post accordingly.
I used 15 Minute Epoxy for this step because I wanted to try a faster curing Epoxy on the Glass.
I'll let it cure overnight anyway before cutting out the holes, just to be sure.

MyFavoriteThings 001.jpg

Can't seem to get rid of these "Attached Thumbnails".

Attachments

• Tykon10AftSection 006.jpg
    Tykon10AftSection 006.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 58
  • Tykon10AftSection 005.jpg
    Tykon10AftSection 005.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Took apart a TLP 1.6" Sidewinder Kit so that I can Scratch Build an AIM-120.
I also stole the Nose Cone from my Estes M104 Patriot fo this Build, and will be making it a Practice Project for Fiberglassing stuff.

YAIM-120 001.jpg

DAMN YOU THUMBNAILS!!!!!! GO AWAY WHEN I DELETE YOU!!!

Attachments

• YAIM-120.jpg
    YAIM-120.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Finished external fillets on my 3" Darkstar.
Bought gloves and a super bright headlamp for when I'm working pads at the MWP night launch. Hopefully it's brought enough that the LCO can see me and not launch while I'm standing next to a rocket...

Well, it was actually yesterday, but...

I finished painting my K&S Super Flash!

Launched rockets! what else are you going to do on a sunny day?

I also continued work on my scratch build and put some primer on a nose cone.

I spent the day in the ER with my wife.

So: Nothing.

(She's fine, but not how we were planning to spend the day.)

I'm relived to hear it's nothing! Best of health to both of you.

Ari.

Cz, think you want some 'light sticks' for lighting up your back and side as well. the head lamp will work...when you look at the lco table (maybe, I've heard Tim threaten to push the button(look up mwp nightlaunch on youtube/ guytogo75)).
more sanding/ filling on the aim-54.
Rex

Built a fin alignment jig from cardboard and epoxy'd the fins into the fin can of my Project OSXP.

Been thinking about building a T2T jig like Timro did for his LOC Weasel MD project.

Saturday I flew my dual-deploy modified LOC-P “Hi-Tech” on an H148R to the staggering altitude of 1,828 feet.

Basically a “Proof of Concept” flight just to see if everything worked as advertised before I fly a more aggressive motor at Distant Thunder.

Also flew “Spot On” a two stage rocket with two motors per stage. Flew it with 2x B6-0/B6-6. I think it might have actually staged before the rocket left the launch rod. Again this was a “PoC” flight.

Had lunch with a bunch of fellow SARG members and discussed new launch sites and plans to take over the world. :)

Designed and assembled my MMT for my AIM-120. Also made my Fin Templates and made and dry fitted my Tail Cone.
MMTTAILCONEAIM120 001.jpg
MMTTAILCONEAIM120 002.jpg
MMTTAILCONEAIM120 003.jpg

Poked around my Yard for a bit and found this nice Polished Granite Slab. 24"x12"x4".
I'll use it for putting Fins on to Cure since it is perfectly flat.
No more taking up space on the Workbench overnight for Fins!:D

Granite Flat 004.jpg

Primed my mega mosquito

Launching rockets (or missiles in my case) is so easy a chimp could do it. Read a step, do a step, eat a banana.

Sent from my iPad Air using Rocketry Forum.

For a moment there I thought you were planning to put fins on it and fly it :p

That would be scary! It weighs about 80lbs.
Interestingly enough, the local Rock of Ages Quarries have actually made stuff for NASA. Granite Slabs can be and are polished to flatter than flat,(Nearly) as perfectly flat as you can get. For some reason or another, I forget exactly, but NASA needed a perfectly Flat Surface for something or other, and one of the local Sheds made them a Piece or Pieces of Granite. It says something about it in one of the Displays at one of the local Granite Mueseums.

Surface Plate:

https://spacecraft.carleton.ca/2014/07/04/air-bearing-table/

Last edited:
That would be scary! It weighs about 80lbs.
Interestingly enough, the local Rock of Ages Quarries have actually made stuff for NASA. Granite Slabs can and are polished to flatter that flat, as perfectly flat as you can get. For some reason or another, I forget exactly, but NASA needed a perfectly Flat Surface for something or other, and one of the local Sheds made them a Piece or Pieces of Granite. It says something about it in one of the Displays at one of the local Granite Mueseums.

Surface Plate:

https://spacecraft.carleton.ca/2014/07/04/air-bearing-table/

A machinist I watch on youtube got a gift from a watcher, odd phenomena among machinists, and someone sent him a set of Government calibrated granite parallels. I think I remember the card saying accurate from one end to the other to be within 1/64,000,000th of an inch, sixty-four millionth of an inch in 6 inches is pretty accurate. He seemed tickled to get them. He has 2 granite surface plates to start with, I wouldn't doubt if they were crafted close to you. :)

Finished external fillets on the Darkstar. Would be ready for a single deploy flight this weekend if I had a harness and chute... Boo.
Started getting ready to begin a build thread on the Rocwerks Reactor. Getting an Estes 24 retainer tomorrow and some thin CA for the balsa nosecone.

DIY never stops.

300KG doesn't sit well in the car. Small trek across Bristol to get them. Should of been £300, on offer for £83.20 saving £216.80. Result but having to lift I'm done as that's nearly 1200KG

In the salvo we then went too the park too meet a friend and her kids. We climbed trees and walked in the stream. This park had a castle which is was pretty cool. After we had some chips then I played football with the boys and lost. Was a nice day out.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1414477771.690156.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1414478000.093998.jpgImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1414478043.976830.jpgImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1414478074.652790.jpg

Glassed a couple Sets of Fins. So much easier than Papering! I hate Papering Fins, and now that I can just Glass them instead, I'm a happy Camper.

Paint prep for Mini Honest John and scratch Honest John, install shock cords. Worked on motor mount for Maxi Alpha 3.

Back