What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Primed the Der Red Max and color coated the nose cone (love the Krylon Industrial Black), built an entire Estes Super Neon, just need to do the fin fillets and its ready for primer. Got the sustainer steer fins/flaps on the Nike Hercules Sustainer, for some reason that build has slowed considerable lately, only 8 fins left to go and the are on the nose cone, still need to make the covers for the staging timer and battery bays (the piece is already laid up I just need to trace the patterns onto the CF part and cut the covers, install the pem nuts and the sustainer will be mostly done).

View attachment 327347 View attachment 327348 View attachment 327349

I'm interested in your 4:1 shroud construction technique - I'm about to make the opposite for the inside of a MIRV clone - I'd love to know more about how you built it. 😁

Flew Go Devil 38 on a Loki K627. Took off like a scalded cat. Altbeeped out almost 17k, but that sounds.low compared to sim and what that rocket took off like. The decals peeled off, and the leading edge if each fin is covered in tiny pits now...hehehehe.[/QUOTE
I saw a few GD 38's (including mine) and GD 54's go up and those babies can take just about anything you shove in em. Awsome flight Chris.

Primed the Der Red Max and color coated the nose cone (love the Krylon Industrial Black), built an entire Estes Super Neon, just need to do the fin fillets and its ready for primer. Got the sustainer steer fins/flaps on the Nike Hercules Sustainer, for some reason that build has slowed considerable lately, only 8 fins left to go and the are on the nose cone, still need to make the covers for the staging timer and battery bays (the piece is already laid up I just need to trace the patterns onto the CF part and cut the covers, install the pem nuts and the sustainer will be mostly done).

View attachment 327347 View attachment 327348 View attachment 327349

I'm interested in your 4:1 shroud construction technique - I'm about to make the opposite for the inside of a MIRV clone - I'd love to know more about how you built it. 

The 4 into 1 is actually easier than people think. Make the bottom clover shaped piece first (bottom bulkhead), then using a sheet of paper or a sewing tape measure the circumference of the base. The upper part of the 4 in 1 is easy as its just a circle like an Este kit. I used poster board for the shroud, and OpenRocket to print a standard conical shroud template using the base circumference (clover leaf portion) and the upper circumference (large diameter above trapezoidal cutouts), and whatever the scale height was supposed to be. Make the upper centering ring ( I used a tube inside the transition as an interstage coupler) and attach to the tube between the base clover leaf bulkhead and the upper CR. Glue the shroud along the glue line to form a cone (again it looks at this point like an Estes paper transition). iirc I tacked it in place on the top then started on the bottom by squeezing the shroud into the recessed areas and tacking in place. As long as the shroud measurements are right then the shape kind of self forms, a little additional help may be necessary as a second set of hands is nice. The shroud is then fully glued in place and then a second layer was put over the first one (takes some fiddling to get the measurements correct), both layers are then soaked with CA. The very thin conical transition on top the 4:1 is easy, its just a papercraft transition printed out on card stock and glued to the top of the central tube and the top CR for the 4:1.

Build Thread for the Nike Hercules is here: https://tricitiesrocketeers.freeforums.net/thread/360/nike-hercules-stage-build-thread

Last edited:
...When this stuff arrives, I'll have quite the build pile: 2 Eggfinder Minis, a Quantum, a Mouse 38, 2x Formula 38s, a Broken Arrow 54, and at least 2 scratch built rockets. **cracks knuckles**
I've been hitting reload on Madcow's Go Devil 38 page for what seems like forever. AeroAggie pointed me toward a kit he's considering at AMW...then I noticed that they have Go Devil 38s in stock. PURCHASED! What's one more rocket for the workbench?

Finally got around to doing some rocket stuff today. Worked on my Madcow 2.6 Nike Smoke av-bay. I had already made one but ended up with complications getting things to fit. I came up with a new design and worked on it. I am happy that everything seems to fit and hope the rocket will be ready for its maiden flight soon.

L1 on an Estes Mammoth, modified only as follows:
- left out the motor block and plastic chute anchor
- added about 3ft of Kevlar hanging off the fore CR
- added a fishing swivel
- taped each end of the body tubes
- taped the leading edge of the fins
- swapped the lugs for buttons

I built it on the range at Argonia w/BSI 5min epoxy and flew an H97J, JLCR @300ft and landed almost in the road.

I cannot now remember who the discussion was with, but yeah: you -can- get your L1 on an Estes E2X :)

233e3b74eb7598a8828a457536141d6c.jpg

L1 on an Estes Mammoth,

Congratulations, I forgot you weren't certifiable yet. Did you stick an altimeter in it, or sim for altitude?

I recall someone did something similar at Southern thunder with a ~H135 in a Mammoth I think. One of those baby H's at any rate.

Took advantage of the Madcow Labor Day sale and picked up a fluorescent orange Formula 54 in keeping with the upcoming Halloween season.

It's a thin-wall fiberglass kit that requires no painting, is sized for a 29mm motor, and can fly on motors appropriate for a small launch field like SARG's Gibson Ranch site...assuming it's still available in the fall. Can also fly on I200W with a JLCR down at Snow Ranch.

Pulled my alt data on two flights from Airfest:

Go Devil 38 on Loki K627: 16871 ft at Mach 2.3
Mongoose 54 on Loki L1400: 18345 at Mach 2.1

Completed assembly of my 2.6 BBII. Will do one more balance check after the fillet on the NC bulkhead dries before calling it flight ready. Also got a bad feeling about the 30" chute so I ordered a 36" for it.

Completed the avbay, and assembly of the 4" Solar Warrior. Just need to ground test the main charge and it'll be flight ready.

Weighed the 4" Solar Warrior. My original goal was 5.5 pounds, figured by adding the second altimeter and some fudge factor it would be 6.5 pounds. Actual empty weight is 9 pounds 4 ounces. :facepalm: :rofl: Fortunately I have a parachute that's big enough for it. Good thing I installed a 54mm hole for that porker!

Took advantage of the Madcow Labor Day sale and picked up a fluorescent orange Formula 54 in keeping with the upcoming Halloween season.

It's a thin-wall fiberglass kit that requires no painting, is sized for a 29mm motor, and can fly on motors appropriate for a small launch field like SARG's Gibson Ranch site...assuming it's still available in the fall. Can also fly on I200W with a JLCR down at Snow Ranch.

It better be available!!! I've got a FG Batray and a FG Pihrana on the way! :) baby motors on heavy rockets. Those -4 delays will come in handy!

Bought FG kit at the Madcow sale, also found a smoking deal on a Loc IV kit, so bought that too. Then finished off the allowance with 9 reloads...

Back