What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Launched 3 Rockets, all quite successful!!!:)
My 24mm Alpha w/B6-4 in adapter, my 13mm AMRAAM AIM-120 and the Crossfire I rebuilt that was treed last year.

TODAYS LAUNCHES 2015-04-16 001.jpgTODAYS LAUNCHES 2015-04-16 002.jpgTODAYS LAUNCHES 2015-04-16 005.jpg

The Crossfire almost landed right on me!

TODAYS LAUNCHES 2015-04-16 008.jpgTODAYS LAUNCHES 2015-04-16 010.jpg

Last edited:
Took advantage of the Easter Eggtimer sale. ( yea a sale!) :clap:

-What have I gotten myself into? :facepalm:

2015-04-16 18.23.52.jpg

Took some internal measurements of the Polecat Goblin 5.5 and decided to skip the L2 cert flight with a 38mm J316-5g and go with a 54mm J280SS-2g to make more room for recovery train/parachute in the body tube.

While doing the above I discovered I'd missed clear coating on the fins on the Goblin. Tomorrow will be a paint day.

Realized that Makerbeam fits perfectly into 1010 Rail to make a 2 in 1 rail system.

Todays Makerbeam Discovery 2015-04-17 001.jpgTodays Makerbeam Discovery 2015-04-17 002.jpg

Also finished my 13mm AIM-120 AMRAAM:

Evader AIM-120 AMRAAM 13mm 2015-04-17 001.jpgEvader AIM-120 AMRAAM 13mm 2015-04-17 002.jpg

Last edited:
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1429308223.212197.jpg
Got home and saw that this box had arrived. 10yds x 50" of 4oz plain weave fiberglass cloth. More than enough for the foreseeable future!

Built (mostly) an Estes Viking with the 7yr old for Cub Scouts. Minimum diameter cheap bulk rocket kit. Looks like Cub Scout leaders will supply A8-3's. My boy wants to swap it out for a C6...

Adrian

Built (mostly) an Estes Viking with the 7yr old for Cub Scouts. Minimum diameter cheap bulk rocket kit. Looks like Cub Scout leaders will supply A8-3's. My boy wants to swap it out for a C6...

Adrian

I have a bunch of C6-7 left over from the old Blast Off Packs. Using them single stage or in 2 stage rockets the rockets are lost most of the time, at least for me... :p

Just make sure you tell him you most likely won't get it back but them Cub Scouts have pretty good eyes :)

I have a bunch of C6-7 left over from the old Blast Off Packs. Using them single stage or in 2 stage rockets the rockets are lost most of the time, at least for me... :p

Just make sure you tell him you most likely won't get it back but them Cub Scouts have pretty good eyes :)

Yeah, tomorrow we will start painting it bright colors :)

Played with masking tape on the nose cone shoulder of the Polecat Goblin 5.5 trying to get a nice fit. Turns out a very minimal amount of tape is too much while none is definitely not enough. Still working on it.

Dropped a 38mm-5g case down into the 54mm motor tube of the Goblin to check the distance from bottom of the nosecone to the top of the motor. Not good. Definitely going to have to use a 54mm case/reload for my L2 cert flight.

Today was a beautiful day for painting. I should have done some. ~sigh~

I've been contemptating designing a super-sized Estes Ninja, but have found very little information about it. So, while looking through stuff in the basement to see if my original one from ~1990 was still around, I found this box of old rocket bits:

WP_003115.jpgWP_003117.jpg

The box seems to include a well-used Estes Sentinel (in need of repair), a wrecked Commanche-3, a half-build Solar Sailor II, an Estes Stealth that I finished but never flew (never got a good fit between the BT & nose cone), a legless Portapad-E, a veteran Helio-Copter, a never finished homebuilt star cruiser, the face card for an Estes Ram Jet, the instrcutions for the Estes X-16, a bunch of small bits and pieces, but alas, no Ninja...

Last edited:
I've been contemptating designing a super-sized Estes Ninja, but have found very little information about it. So, while looking through stuff in the basement to see if my original one from ~1990 was still around, I found this box of old rocket bits:

View attachment 261237View attachment 261238

The box seems to include a well-used Estes Sentinel (in need of repair), a wrecked Commanche-3, a half-build Solar Sailor II, an Estes Stealth that I finished but never flew (never got a good fit between the BT & nose cone), a legless Portapad-E, a veteran Helio-Copter, a never finished homebuilt star cruiser, the face card for an Estes Ram Jet, the instrcutions for the Estes X-16, a bunch of small bits and pieces, but alas, no Ninja...

https://www.oldrocketplans.com/estes/est0882/est0882.htm

View attachment 261237View attachment 261238

The Ninja is right there in front of you, but you can't see it, because it's a Ninja.

Put the 13mm AIM-120 AMRAAM up on an A10.:) It looked like it matched up about right with my Sim data at around 300ft.

AMRAAM A10 2015-04-18 001.jpgAMRAAM A10 2015-04-18 002.jpgAMRAAM A10 2015-04-18 004.JPG

Thanks for posting that, though I actually did already have it. The trouble with the Estes directions on that one is the lack specifics, compared to earlier models. No part numbers, no tube lengths, etc. I did, however, find a Rocksim file on Rocketry Reviews website, and expect that its close enough to be a starting point.

And Thirsty, you're probably right, it just hiding in plain sight. Silly ninjas. I knew I shouldn't have painted it black like the face card...

Joined/flew with QCRS. Windy, but my vindicator sport came back every time.

Joined/flew with QCRS. Windy, but my vindicator sport came back every time.

Sorry I missed meeting you. I'll be at the May launch for sure.
I painted (and helped the boy paint) his Cub Scouts Estes Viking rocket. Orange fin unit, blue body tube, and red nose. Nathan wants the biggest motor possible. Tim will be so proud... Now, everybody wave bye bye. :horse:

Adrian

I can hardly believe it but I actually flew one of the blasted things today and it was real nice. I also finished glassing the fin can on my new 3'' project.

I finally finished my Joe Woodworker adjustable auto-cycling vacuum, now I can get back to vacuum bagging. I was using the Fiber Glast high efficiency vacuum generator but it was killing my 20 gallon 150 PSI compressor. This one works really well, or at least the tests worked out perfectly...that is after I wired the vacuum controller correctly :facepalm:. Easily held 25 Hg of vacuum and can be adjusted up or down, not sure how much more it will pull but it will pull enough for me to do what I need it to do.

View attachment 261280

Launched rockets with LUNAR. Tried flying my mean green on a d12-5. It had a motor failure when it spit the nozzle. ( which reminds me, i should go file a MESS report.) Rocket sat on the pad while the propellant burned out. When I went to pull it off the pad and inspect it for damage, the clay cap was still intact. No damage to the rocket, and I was able to fly it later in the day on a d12-3.

Over all a pretty slow day at Moffett, only 248 flights according to the flight card tally.

I spent most of the day as SCO, and got to see a lot of cool rockets, including a school group that had 3d printed their own fin can designs. They were really beefy/ heavy prints and the rockets had stability issues. We discussed ways they could lighten their prints, and I demonstrated how to do swing tests and adjust the CG by adding clay to the nose.

Another highlight was the Brownie Troop that attended with Estes gnomes and quest saucers. They looked take they were having a blast, and left a hand drawn thank-you card and a couple of boxes of Girl Scout cookies at the registration table for the launch crew to share at the end of the day. (mmmm Samoas)

Well it was yesterday now, but I flew with Michianna and got my L1 & L2 and test flew my experimental recovery rocket.

Well it was yesterday now, but I flew with Michianna and got my L1 & L2 and test flew my experimental recovery rocket.

Congrats on the l1/l2! Can you describe your experimental recovery rocket, (or link to a thread on it , if you have one?)

Back