What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...oral exam? What oral exam? I couldn't find anything about that in the requirements, where did you get that from?

Relax! What Wayne described as an "oral exam" is really the three of us (Wayne, myself, and Roy Polmanteer the other TAP) getting together and reviewing the project prior to Wayne starting the prep on the rocket. It's not an exam!

Bob Brown
TAP

Thanks Bob, Roy described it as similar to a tough RSO grilling me over my build. I compare the L-3 documentation process being like a Masters thesis in college. I figure if they show up at my trailer and I have coffee and doughnuts, everything will go smoothly....

Spent the day modifying the av-bay in my Shape Shifter Jr to make it more user friendly to set up.
IMG_0411.jpg

Not exactly rocket related, but I also set up my first RC plane today. My dad surprised me by buying this for me, in an effort to diversify my hobbies a little...
First flight was supposed to be tonight, but the baseball field I fly at was in use. Hopefully tomorrow morning I'll fly it!
IMG_0413.jpg

It's the Flyzone Mini Switch, which is actually larger then the name would have you believe (34" wingspan)...

Spent the day modifying the av-bay in my Shape Shifter Jr to make it more user friendly to set up.
View attachment 181847

Not exactly rocket related, but I also set up my first RC plane today. My dad surprised me by buying this for me, in an effort to diversify my hobbies a little...
First flight was supposed to be tonight, but the baseball field I fly at was in use. Hopefully tomorrow morning I'll fly it!
View attachment 181846

It's the Flyzone Mini Switch, which is actually larger then the name would have you believe (34" wingspan)...

Cool plane. I just got interested in RC boats. This particular boat hits speeds of 70mph+.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1408573030.884849.jpg

Confirmed my realization that our group project for AirFest needs Class III paperwork....that I spaced and forgot to fill out. :facepalm:

So, I had the glorious task of informing the team that I'm a Dumbass and we're not flying it this year.

And NO, claiming "It's just a big O motor" isn't the right thing to do. No paperwork, no flight.

-Kevin

Last night I got the external fillets applied to my Mega Der Red Max. Got the nose cone cleaned up and a coat of primer applied and the fins coated with sanding sealer tonight.

Worked on the D-Region Tomahawk. Building it stock for a change. The CTI 24 mm casing fits very nicely, so I'll be able to use reloadable motors.
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1408576050.024720.jpg

Finished painting the fins on my Loc/Precision Lil' Nuke... repaired repainted, and ready to fly again... Just waiting the paint to fully cure. And maybe need to fix some paint sagging on one fin (depends how it looks when fully dry).

1408583649207.jpg

Reduce the motor size so it really is just a big O.

post-15478-Nathan-Fillion-speechless-gif-QTlX.gif

Informed some of the local fliers that I am willing to part with some extra motors for appropriate consideration.

Troj, are you a Browncoat or Castle fan?

Did some ejection tests on Sharon's Stinger. She set up the charges and I blew them up. First time we ever had a charge in one cup go off when the other cup was being fired. Can't figure out how the second charge, which was sealed inside a Blast Cap with dog barf on top and two layers of tape, managed to burn. The e-match was still good, but the powder was gone! Sure was an energetic separation, over six grams of BP!
After Sharon cleaned it all up, we put on the "Stinger" sticker and coated it with future. We will be picking up a Cert 3 drogue at Airfest, and this short, fat rocket will be ready to fly.

Actually flew rockets :eyepop:

I put an Estes altimeter in there, and the second flight of the Estes Astra 1 on a C6-5 motor set my new altitude record of 400 meters, or 1311 feet for most of you I guess.

I know I know, pretty amazing. :p I would have preferred 1337 feet :dark:, but I am not that good yet.

Last edited:
I got a box in the mail. Brought it home and opened it.In that box was another box with a picture of a Aim-9 Sidewinder rocket.
Oh..it also had the word Estes on the box.
Guess I have a build ahead of me. :smile:

UPS lady brought me a tall thin box from Giant Leap:

48" of 4" Magnaframe
Full length coupler
18" of 54mm motor mount (guess the change that to 36" request didn't happen)...oh well.
Aeropoxy structural
54mm Slimline
38-54 Slimline adapter

I now have everything for my L2 build - 4" Arapahoe-J.

Also, got primer on my Trident II clone, as well as the nose cone and the upper half (would be sustainer of the real missile) of my Sea Dart clone.

UPS lady brought me a tall thin box from Giant Leap:

48" of 4" Magnaframe
Full length coupler
18" of 54mm motor mount (guess the change that to 36" request didn't happen)...oh well.
Aeropoxy structural
54mm Slimline
38-54 Slimline adapter

I now have everything for my L2 build - 4" Arapahoe-J.

Also, got primer on my Trident II clone, as well as the nose cone and the upper half (would be sustainer of the real missile) of my Sea Dart clone.

Build thread please!

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

Build thread please!

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

There will be, probably in the Scratch section. I have cut the fins, but this is going to be a slow start. Kiddo school starting next week and some job related travel next month are definitely going to cut into the "work" time. I will probably build up some content before starting a thread, otherwise it will be 6 months long.

After taking a break for a few days I masked my L-13 for the red parts. I really should have sprayed the red first and then the aluminum. Oh well, I know now for any future builds.

IMG_7930.jpg

IMG_7933.jpg

Got a piece of Foamboard at Dollar General for a Dollar to use for a Payloadbay Fin Template.

Added last layer of fillets to my Bull Pup.

IMG_20140821_220030_small.jpg

Thought about my next builds. I don't know what order to build them in...

- Estes 2.6 in. V2 kit (24 mm)
- Estes Red Max kit bash (slightly longer, reinforced fin bases, and modified for 24 mm, with possibility of booster)
- High performance scratch payload rocket in BT-60 for 24 mm, also with possibility for booster

Added last layer of fillets to my Bull Pup.

View attachment 181946

Thought about my next builds. I don't know what order to build them in...

- Estes 2.6 in. V2 kit (24 mm)
- Estes Red Max kit bash (slightly longer, reinforced fin bases, and modified for 24 mm, with possibility of booster)
- High performance scratch payload rocket in BT-60 for 24 mm, also with possibility for booster

Put the parts in separate piles and do all 3 at the same time :) I got 3 going right now in various stages of development, 1 waiting for primer, 1 I built the stack last night, BT80 based 57.5" long with a 38mm motor tube and a BT70 one I'm still looking at trying to decide on a design.

But if you want real fun mix all the parts and still build 3 separate rockets, kind of a kit explosion ;)

Put the parts in separate piles and do all 3 at the same time :) I got 3 going right now in various stages of development, 1 waiting for primer, 1 I built the stack last night, BT80 based 57.5" long with a 38mm motor tube and a BT70 one I'm still looking at trying to decide on a design.

But if you want real fun mix all the parts and still build 3 separate rockets, kind of a kit explosion ;)

I may end up with 2 builds in parallel, but I am using the kitchen to build and space in this apartment is getting rare with one kid and too many hobbies :)

Plus, I am forcing myself to go slow to enjoy this new activity. I have a tendency to burn through new hobbies at a fast rate and I want to give time for the model rocketry feeling to sink in. Building is SO relaxing and fun, designing is obsessive, and flying just downright addictive. Don't want to loose the fun factor :)

I may end up with 2 builds in parallel, but I am using the kitchen to build and space in this apartment is getting rare with one kid and too many hobbies :)

Plus, I am forcing myself to go slow to enjoy this new activity. I have a tendency to burn through new hobbies at a fast rate and I want to give time for the model rocketry feeling to sink in. Building is SO relaxing and fun, designing is obsessive, and flying just downright addictive. Don't want to loose the fun factor :)

I take it nice and slow. That means when I finally get to build, it is all the much better.

Back