What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tonimus,
I like that red and white one hanging between the garage door tracks.
What is it?
Looks like a giant Estes Heat Seeker.
I was going to pick up a Heat Seeker to clone a real built rocket and do an upscale.
Maybe not as big as yours though.

Woody, that's a Wildman Interceptor AAD 98 with Stickershock vinyl. I'm not going to say it's a clone of an Estes Heatseeker, but they are VERY similar. I do have a Heatseeker, and I plan on doing one of the smaller Wildman Interceptors as well.

Put another Fin on the Wizard from Hell, coated one side of 2 fins of the V2.
Since I'm coming into some money this weekend, thought I'd go through and make my order from AC Supply.
Don't think I'll be getting everything to catch up for my collections or new items I want.
Since my $250 bucks won't cover the order of $9,335.08!
That's not counting some items from Estes on sale, or other items cheaper on Ebay.
Or some OOP items I am watching on Ebay.
Or Sale items from Uncle Mikes Rocket Shack.
Or items from Quest and Custom or other needed items from eRockets.
Or anything else from other vendors.
Oh, and not let me forget Batteries for the camera!
:facepalm: :bang:

You have to post a pic of that one!
At least you now have to make your mammoth with a unique paint scheme.

Here is the evidence. I was trying to clean up a little blob of stray epoxy. One of the marks is from the iPrOH on the paper towel, the other mark is from my iPrOH-fingerprints.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1484837620.132385.jpg

My daughter cried (she's a perfectionist like me) so I ordered some of this from Amazon (I'm a sucker.) Looks like I'm going to have to paint the whole thing metallic orange now.

71ez3LE1VzL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
1) Got accurate weights on my 7.5" V2 and worked out what parachutes I want/need for the confined spaces they must fit
2) Went to Fruity Chutes and filled the cart
3) Woke up some time later after apparently blacking out
4) Looked at cart
5) Woke up some time later after apparently blacking out again
6) Sent message to Fruity Chutes asking if my arrived at recovery scheme sounded right to them before I ordered

I knew that the recovery would be a non-trivial expense, but had I realized just how non-trivial I would have designed the tracking bay as to not consume so much space that could have been used for the main. On the upside my weight saving efforts on the aft end of the rocket paid off. I only need 3 lbs of nose weight for the stability best case motor (AT K1103X) and around 6 lbs for the worse case (including the AT M650W). With the M650 I should be right about 1:10 trust to weight at liftoff (thank heavens for the thrust spike at the start of burn).

Here is the evidence. I was trying to clean up a little blob of stray epoxy. One of the marks is from the iPrOH on the paper towel, the other mark is from my iPrOH-fingerprints.

View attachment 309670

My daughter cried (she's a perfectionist like me) so I ordered some of this from Amazon (I'm a sucker.) Looks like I'm going to have to paint the whole thing metallic orange now.

Metallic green adhesive vinyl stripes! It would look awesome, and is easier than painting the whole thing.

Metallic green adhesive vinyl stripes! It would look awesome, and is easier than painting the whole thing.

I suggested a metallic silver stripe, but she wasn't having it. (Like I said, I'm a sucker.) At least I'll get to experiment with a new kind of paint and I may use it for my new Solar Warrior that's in the works.

I suggested a metallic silver stripe, but she wasn't having it. (Like I said, I'm a sucker.) At least I'll get to experiment with a new kind of paint and I may use it for my new Solar Warrior that's in the works.

I can appreciate the perfectionist finish. I always try to make them perfect when they are new. It never survives more than 1 or 2 flights in perfect condition, but it needs to start that way. After it flies I just want to keep it flying, and perfection of finish goes out the window. Duplicolor paint is awesome; I like their Metalcast system very much. For future reference, many autoparts stores sell a good variety of Duplicolor in the store (I get it at AutoZone), but I'm not sure that would have been an available color.

Purchased an Estes Supernova from HL today, and ordered a Newway Sky Fighter and an Estes Plasma Probe from eRockets. Will finish my Generic E2X tonight, was going to prep it for paint, instead of just slapping stickers on it.

Caught up my V2 build thread, and spent a preposterous amount with Fruity Chutes...L3 projects really can get expensive.

Order a couple of skins from John Pursley. Now all I need to do is get the rockets to apply them to. C'mon Estes, get that Cosmic Interceptor back in stock!

Had a meeting in Waco Texas yesterday morning, heard a motor test from mcgregor (about 15 miles away). Loud enough to get my attention during the meeting!

Went out to Wildman Tim's to get just a couple things... Spent $200.00 :eyepop: Just like a little kid in the candy store with their first allowance...
The piles of motors there were inspiring... Then for giggles I priced a N2220DM... Sobered up immediately... But as always, had a great time.

Mailman delivered this couple of days ago. It'll be next on the build list after my Quest Tomahawk.

I was looking into the Semroc kits. Will have to try building a couple. Today I couldn't resist the $14.00 Star Orbiter after the usual coupon at Hobby Lobby. Waiting for a Majestic to come in. They have a Show Stopper on clearance for $6.00 but it has a crinkled tube. Not sure if its worth buying for the parts, or if the tube could be repaired some. I think it will fly no problem, but looks pretty ugly with the chrome look crushed.

Started the fillets on the Wizard from Hell.
Worked on the fillets on the Solar Warrior.
Fins were attached to the Spirit of America Clone, started the fillets.
Xarconian Cruiser was brought out and just needed a little glue on one side of the launch lug. (Fillet)
Ready for the Engine mount today, then put it in line for priming.
More coats of TB on the V2 fins.
Found out that I have a balsa nose cone for the V2.
Not quite sure how that happened, as the bin of parts for incomplete rockets had clay weight marked V2.
Looked at the instructions, shows a plastic nose cone and a clay weight...Hmmmm.
Balsa weighs more than the plastic, maybe clay won't be needed.
No batteries for the scale right now, so can't tell the difference in weight.
If that balsa nose cone isn't for the V2, wonder what it is for?
I got nothing in the scratch build line up that big, and I don't remember ever buying it.
Racking my brain trying to figure this one out.

My kids and I burned 12 motors today ranging from an A10 to a 2xE15 cluster. It was such a great day to at the CMASS launch.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1485055029.749372.jpgImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1485055048.434377.jpgImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1485055072.392408.jpg

Last edited:
Went to my club launch with my daughter. Had a great time. Flew three of her rockets and several more of mine, including maidens on the Maxi Alpha 3, Trajector, and successful park-flying testing using my PSII Nike Smoke and Punisher Sport on Aerotech F44-4Ws. Fun!

cool launch pictures everyone. Love the Vagabond, have one to build. Saw a Magestic there too, one that I would like for the future.

Back