What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Attached the motor retainer to my Scarab's motor mount... backwards. Fortunately I caught it right away while the JB weld was still wet and fixed it.

I bought a quart kit of Glenmarc Rocket Poxy and a gallon of Aeropoxy laminating resin to finish some builds. I also, priced some motors.

Used my homemade (from Ted's plan set) guilotine fin jig for the first time.

Nice to be able to use slow setting epoxy for tacking the fins. In this case Aeropoxy structural with some milled fiberglass added. The fins are 2 mm CF plate, and the tube is a LOC 38mm MM that has had the glassine stripped, stained black with ebony wood stain, and covered with Soler Composites neon green FG tubing.

image.jpg image.jpg

Ordered some kevlar cord and few different weights of FG cloth. Also bought a new Box of nitrile gloves at the Hardware Store and some BP motors and nose cones.

Purchased my 2nd Rocketry Warehouse Hump Day special in the last two weeks! This is becoming a habit...

Painted the Polecat Goblin 5.5 and decided I really need to break out the spray gun. Rattlecans are NOT cutting it on 5.5" body tubes. I'm also done with the Rusto fluoro pink, too. Went through three cans and they all started spitting halfway through the job. Grrrr. It's over.

Updated and printed out some Thrustcurve.org sim sheets for my rockets.

Took inventory of motors available for Saturday's launch...the motor box is starting to look empty but seeing as RocketSeason is just about over here on the Left Coast, I'll just have to make do with what I have. Saturday's launch is the last until the fall or winter or spring depending on the drought/fire danger.

I papered the wing fins and filled the tail fin and nose cone of my Orbital Interceptor cone, plus finished filleting the tube joints of the 3x 24mm BT80 mount I just put together.

My callsign showed up with the FCC today! :D Yay!! KD2IKO
And...... naturally my name is spelled wrong... Nathaniel instead of Nathanael...

Nate

Sanded some fillets on my harpoon build. Applied sealer to my patriot, and did some testing with a very promising sugar propellant that burns like BP. :kill:

Hooked up the e-matches on my dual deploy av-bay to get a jump on the prepping for the Saturday launch. No BP until we're on the field, tho.

Masked off the Goblin for Rusto Black Midnight Sky fins and can. Couldn't paint today due to the wind.

Laid out the motors for assembly tomorrow.

Got the bottom fins glued in place on my Harpoon. I'll hopefully be applying fillets and papering the next set of fins this morning.
DSC02683.jpgDSC02684.jpg

Yesterday, I ordered a bunch of motors from Hobby Linc. I noticed that it looked like they were finally showing a lot of the Aerotech stuff coming back into stock. I also finished sanding my Orbital Interceptor clone, ready to prime, and I installed the cluster mount I built earlier in the week into what will become the lower tube of a BT80-sized Astron Ranger upscale.

Spread the news to students, flight observer and school administration that our TARC team made the finals for the first time. There are a lot of excited students (and an excited sponsor.)

Doug

Prepping for tomorrow's launch at Snow Ranch.

Finished up the Goblin 5.5 but it's just not gonna fly right on anything less than a J motor...still have to take my L2 test before I can do that, tho.

Made up a few motors for other rockets, tho.

Ordered some 24mm Retainers, Rocketarium and Estes, and some Makerbeam Rails for Micro-Buttons, 1500mm length, from Amazon.

By the way, the Rocketarium 24mm Aluminum retainers are AWESOME!!!

Had a comparison "Weigh In" for purposes of Mind-Sim update.

An 18mm with an extra Inch and a .23, and a stock dimension BT length 24mm.

This Site won't let me add attachments anymore for some reason, so just picture a really sweet looking Crossfire next to another sweet looking Crossfire.

Last edited:
Pics of the Goblin?

View attachment 259971

Six inch ruler for scale.

All up weight (38mm motor adapter & retention, shock cord, quick links, chute, nomex blanket) is just under 100 ounces without reload and motor hardware. Might actually break 2000' on a baby J motor so it would be an excellent East Coast rocket. Will go up to K on 54mm reloads.

Still needs vinyl from Stickershock23.

I went to Fyrwrxz Daves place and held his 8 inch project..its gonna rock! Making plans for a ROC trip next week.

Talked to WarnerR and he told me where to buy the good lead shot locally ..so ducked outta work early and went to grab some. Also picked up a little Grainger order with nylon mf 4/40 stand offs and aluminum all thread 1/4 - 20 for some av bay upgrades.

Looked at RocSims for Punisher and my Extreme project.. lots of lead shot needed for the latter.

Kenny

View attachment 259971

Six inch ruler for scale.

All up weight (38mm motor adapter & retention, shock cord, quick links, chute, nomex blanket) is just under 100 ounces without reload and motor hardware. Might actually break 2000' on a baby J motor so it would be an excellent East Coast rocket. Will go up to K on 54mm reloads.

Still needs vinyl from Stickershock23.

Beautiful paint job Kit! I know when someone tells me that, I think about all the little flaws that only I can see..... Stickershock should pay you to use his vinyl on it.

Yeah, right.

All my fins have been papered, CA'd and glued in place. Next is launch lug, lots of fillets and some more sanding before priming.

DSC02685.jpg

My BAR journey has finally commenced properly. After ordering *way* too many kits over the last few weeks, finally started putting glue to wood and paper. With any luck, I'll have a rocket or two to fly at ROC's April launch (next weekend). Probably all 18mm, but, hey, after so many years away, it's progress, right?
;)

My BAR journey has finally commenced properly. After ordering *way* too many kits over the last few weeks, finally started putting glue to wood and paper. With any luck, I'll have a rocket or two to fly at ROC's April launch (next weekend). Probably all 18mm, but, hey, after so many years away, it's progress, right?
;)

Very cool !

I thought you had to do a BAR Crayon roc scratch build to be a true BAR .

We may make the trek up from San Diego .. 2 BARs , 1 flyer and 1 lifetime NAR member.

Come say hi !

Kenny

Back