What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today I fashioned a slingshot-like recovery device and spent an hour trying to get my Prowler out of the tree. Result: unsuccessful. Hopefully I'll get another chance to try before going on my next trip.

Completed all finishing tasks on the Starship Avalon:
And *now* I am all caught up from the weekend. Phew.

You just have to, HAVE TO post the launch video!
This thing is crazy kool!
When you first posted about thinking on making this, I was curious if you'd succeed.
My hats off to you sir! Surpassed anything thing I've ever seen.

Spray painted my Der Red Max kit this morning (so I can join the DRM party!) and it's waaaay too humid (that's what I'm blaming it on, not my poor technique) and I've got a ton of orange peel on the body and fins. So in a few days I'll be wet sanding for the first time. yaaay.

I only had 5 days off this past week instead of my typical 7 so I didn't get as much done as I was hoping to, and rain/humidity played a part in that also. I did get my Bullpup 12D and my second Sky Warrior painted and decal'd. And the Estes water-slide decals just SUCK! Even sing Micro-Set/Micro-Sol, the edges still curled and never flattened out; on the Bullpup I had one small decal that actually curled away from the BT! I got the Custom Rockets Equinox painted and the one, large sticker applied, though not without wrinkles... And the adhesive was too aggressive to try to pull it back up without damaging the paint job :mad:. And I got the Chrome Trajector fins painted... Just need to add the rail buttons and install the shock cord.

Fine tuning plans for Airfest and decided on only taking 4 or 5 rockets. Purchased a CTI 54mm-6gr from Wildman K-675
Ultimate QCC - O3400 11000’
4" Mac Performance VTS-6 - Motor??
MAC Performance Firestick XL - K675 8500’ 740mph
Carbon Fiber 54MD - K535 DMS – 11,300’ Mach 1.33
Mini PIKE 33 (my sons 4-H project) - - Aerotech DMS G80 – 12 sec delay 3600’ 650mph 25:1 – with Chute release.

finally getting back towards rockets - lot of work to do by Airfest!

Fine tuning plans for Airfest and decided on only taking 4 or 5 rockets. Purchased a CTI 54mm-6gr from Wildman K-675
Ultimate QCC - O3400 11000’
4" Mac Performance VTS-6 - Motor??
MAC Performance Firestick XL - K675 8500’ 740mph
Carbon Fiber 54MD - K535 DMS – 11,300’ Mach 1.33
Mini PIKE 33 (my sons 4-H project) - - Aerotech DMS G80 – 12 sec delay 3600’ 650mph 25:1 – with Chute release.

finally getting back towards rockets - lot of work to do by Airfest!

I can't wait to see that QCC.

Yesterday, actually, but did a repeat of my L1 cert flight- same rocket, same motor but with a chute release this time.

Estes Leviathan with extra airframe from BMS. On an H128-14A drilled to 10 seconds (overdrilled to 9 actually) ... overall clean flight tho!

Good times.

1500855761395.jpg

Starting prep for Airfest, a lot to do.
Purchased a 54-6Gr K-675 Sparky from Wildman for an MD.

Making plans for a rocket transporter

Working on fine tunning Alt settings for Airfest flight on the upscale QCC Explorer.

Drop tested my 8" rogallo glider with Gemini capsule underneath. It's not big enough to really glider, more of a 'scale that never was' chute.

I had to adjust the lines so the nose was way long just to get the glider to fall fairly level - Gemini way nose down.

Got my Mongoose ready for Airfest. Had to do a little soldering work to extend the wires for my new sled and altimeter configuration. Just got to replace a charge well, and build the motor, and that one is ready to go.

Also, finally started printing a full set of replacement parts for my 3D printer (will take about 3 days to make a full set) should unexpected child related violence befall it. Has a certain Skynet feel to watching it print its own replacement parts.

Got the Pac-3 all finished up and just awaiting arrival of rail buttons. Then I guess I need to paint like 5 rockets... hate that part.

Uploaded last weekend's launch video to YouTube:

[video=youtube;eC9ryyqL6Dw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eC9ryyqL6Dw[/video]

Uploaded last weekend's launch video to YouTube:

[video=youtube;eC9ryyqL6Dw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eC9ryyqL6Dw[/video]

Nice production! I like the touch of the time sounds and the music timing with the people walking to retrieve their rockets

Just set up a display at our local library. It now has eight cabinets full of LPR-HPR rockets, electronics and books to get the locals (children and adults) interested. According to the library staff it is the favourite display of the year (been running a few years now).

Nah, just the usual "life getting in the way" bit, kitchen remodel, summer chores at the house/farm , pesky work, etc.

But to make it up to you, a progress sneak peek.

20170728_114545.jpg

Just set up a display at our local library. It now has eight cabinets full of LPR-HPR rockets, electronics and books to get the locals (children and adults) interested. According to the library staff it is the favourite display of the year (been running a few years now).

That is a great idea!

Got myself into a little hot water with my wife. I purchased a (probably) way over priced QModeling Mars Snooper from E(vil)bay. She was not happy:hot: But, as explained to her, it's a kit that I've always wanted from a no-longer-in-business manufacturer.

Haven't done anything rocket wise in a while.
I should be at the point of doing a lot of painting! But...
I had to take time to finish up a couple of knife customization's had in the works.
Things are really moving slowly there, due to defective DMT Diamond Stones.
Contacted DMT and they want me to send them the stones for review and replace...if they decide they are defective.
And of coarse...being bared up for a week didn't help progress any.
Wonderful system we have. Like that helped my depression!

After going at it hot and heavy for several months, I hadn't done too much since ECRM in June. But yesterday and today I've been finishing up some models that have been sitting un-touched too long - Big Daddy #2, an NCR Lance Delta, and the Chrome Trajector. I've also decided to take a break from building model rockets for a little while. Over the last year I've built a couple dozen or more LPR and a handful of MPR, so now I have plenty to fly. I'm gonna clean up my shop and get back to building some of my R/C airplanes again for a while. :wink:
IMG_3208 (Edited).jpgIMG_3210 (Edited).jpgIMG_3218 (Edited).jpg

Took a look at the build pile. Pulled out a Loc Graduator and started that. Also found one of two Performance 38 Specials I had and started that. 29 mm stick with a dual deploy option.

That second one will be modded to minimum diameter a little down the road.

Back