What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...and there's an excellent possibility for launching them at the new (pending) SARG launch site.

Wow... and an HP site as well. :) None of these MP sites that I've been gathering... fingers crossed that it happens. I've got a lot of birds that need to fly.

Where are you guys getting your information?
I keep getting emails from the club...maybe they think I'm a board member.

At this point, there has been no announcement made because the agreement with the landowner is still pending. In other news, the landowner is a rocketeer, is interested in getting his L1 cert, and approached SARG about using the site on his own.

The site is approximately 30 miles north of Snow Ranch.

There are still some details to work out, waivers, fire marshal, etc.

Worked on my 5" ARCAS. Carbon fiber tip to tip fin can.ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1435279137.506683.jpgImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1435279153.719882.jpgImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1435279161.445102.jpgImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1435279170.539756.jpgImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1435279181.145614.jpg

Hope to have it ready for Air Fest.

Last edited:
My daughter and I are putting together a Phoenix Bird this morning. Hopefully send it on it's maiden voyage later this weekend along with my son's Patriot. Us newbies are having fun. :)

20150627_093130.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Put data from the BRB GPS into a spreadsheet from my Darkstar JR flight on a J350W at black rock. Calculated slopes to get descent rates for drogue and main. Was always curious how the Recon 30" chute would do with this rocket, came in at 26 ft/s into the desert.
BRDarkstarJ350-160621profile.png

This matches up with an approximate Cd of 1.30 in the OpenRocket sim

Put data from the BRB GPS into a spreadsheet from my Darkstar JR flight on a J350W at black rock. Calculated slopes to get descent rates for drogue and main. Was always curious how the Recon 30" chute would do with this rocket, came in at 26 ft/s into the desert.
View attachment 266331

This matches up with an approximate Cd of 1.30 in the OpenRocket sim

Did you do any smoothing or manipulating of the BRB data? Looks clean!

Went to the park and launched three rockets with the kids. The launches went well, but...

1. The launch pad that came with the kit (Astron II) is at the end of its days. The plastic base has cracked. One of the launches bent the rod. I was able to bend it back into shape, but I think I'll want to replace the whole thing before the next launch. Looking at an Estes "E" Pad, which is in stock at my local Hobby Lobby.

2. We launched in a big open field that had some concrete and asphalt around the edges. The rockets launched nice and high, but all managed to find the concrete on the landing. One snapped a fin off.

3. I've launched my Baby Bertha enough times that its really starting to show some wear. I'm going to need to repaint a section before the next launch.

Spent most of today in the hotel looking at rocket related stuff since launching was cancelled for today, I'm at LDRS btw.

Also helped a friend recover his rocket after he flew yesterday and lost it. He deemed it too dark to recover so we set out today in the rain and found it.

Yesterday I finally got my Darkstar Jr. two stage in the air. First time in the two stage configuration. Booster was a CTI J400 smokey sam. Sustainer was a CTI J530 IMAX. Set a new personal altitude record of 11,543' out of an expected 9,800'. The booster separation was caused by motor ignition at MECO +1 second. It now has nice charring on it like it just re-entered the atmosphere. Pictures to follow at some point.

Did you do any smoothing or manipulating of the BRB data? Looks clean!

Good question. I didn't do any smoothing on the lines. Maybe with the standard 1 second time sampling interval there's enough integration to keep things smooth.

Ordered an Eggtimer TRS on sale. Looking forward to soldering SMDs! It's a skill I've wanted to learn for a while.

[YOUTUBE]R2NEIZ5uR5w[/YOUTUBE]

Onboard video of my Hawk Mountain Proteus from yesterday at LDRS. Flew on an EX 98/10,000 (98-4G) M2225 Plain Jane to 9,556'. Beautiful flight and recovery!

(Disclaimer: the descent may induce vomiting...)

Shot the black on the fin can of the Mercury Redstone. There's going to be a lot of touch up work here. Not too happy but I'll fix it. Pictures will be coming.

Did some fiberglassing today for a estes super Alpha. I don't think I could do any better with vacuum bagging equipment.

I added 4/10 of an ounce to this tube. With two wraps of 2oz. Fiberglass. If you guys would like to know how easy this is. just let me know?
And I'll show you how.

Back