What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Viewed an obscene number of Apogee Components videos. Looks like Tim switched to 4K right after I dropped out of the hobby a few years ago. Wow those recent ones are sharp. Really cool to see how his production values increased over the past decade that he has been doing them regularly. I love that his current multi-camera set up allows him to do some extended close-ups.

I can read rocket instructions, but there is nothing better than someone demonstrating how to do something. :)

--Michael in Houston

Assembled the groundstation half for a standard Eggfinder. SMD components aren't easy, but they sure are easier than they look, esp. with ultra-fine, ultra-low-temp solder...

The flying half will get put together once I get a finer tip for my iron...

Got my L1 cert :)

Congratulations.

I watched the video you posted in the MDRA ESL 233 thread. Nicely done. The LCO did it right, too, asking for a round of applause. Couldn't quite make out the rest of the announcement though, what did you end up loading for the L1 flight?

Thanks! I ended up going with the CTI H170 set to 7s delay. It ejected at near perfect apogee, then chute release @ 500ft. I then immediately followed it up with my MDRM on a G125. It apparently likes to go fast, it was the straightest flight I've ever had out of my MDRM.

Here's the flight vid for those that didn't look on the MDRA thread. (Vid courtesy of my wife, who is a trooper coming out with me for my cert while 26w pregnant! :) )
[video]https://youtu.be/1aMdcmRpd00[/video]
Congratulations.

I watched the video you posted in the MDRA ESL 233 thread. Nicely done. The LCO did it right, too, asking for a round of applause. Couldn't quite make out the rest of the announcement though, what did you end up loading for the L1 flight?

Building my ASP 18mm WAC Corporal, and also building my LOC 2.56 E-Bay.
Need to fix up my Estes Partizon, lots of problems.. The retainer is melted, rail buttons are somewhat melted, the paint is burning off, and since it came in ballistic yesterday, I need to replace the shock cord mount as well........I hope it doesn't need to be retired! And, it went nearly supersonic and almost shredded on my CTI G106SK! :facepalm:

Thanks,

You get the two sage version?
Two sage version:

A4661.1L.jpg

From the Ether...

Worked a bit on a FG high power rocket, getting the A/V completed and one set of fins installed. 3D printed finished an Epic 4" nosecone print. 16" long. Looks awesome.

Thanks! I ended up going with the CTI H170 set to 7s delay. It ejected at near perfect apogee, then chute release @ 500ft. I then immediately followed it up with my MDRM on a G125. It apparently likes to go fast, it was the straightest flight I've ever had out of my MDRM.

Here's the flight vid for those that didn't look on the MDRA thread. (Vid courtesy of my wife, who is a trooper coming out with me for my cert while 26w pregnant! :) )
[video]https://youtu.be/1aMdcmRpd00[/video]

Ha! My wife was something like 7.5 months in when I got my L1. Her pregnant ass got dragged out for my flight as well. Congrats on the L1!

IMG_3747.jpg

Worked a bit on my son's Texas Firefly that he picked up at Fillible's Folly last September. It is mostly done, but the likelihood of painting weather in the near future is slim to none.

IMG_3748.jpg

IMG_3750.jpg

I also worked on motor retention for my Bigger Daddy.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Had my wife pick-up the steel for the clubs new LPR pad tilt/angle adjusters ( 12 new pads) and pieces 4' long of 1" and 1.125" of cold finish roundstock for 24mm and 29mm mandrels. Hopefully I can roll a couple of CF tubes this weekend for a couple of MD projects.

Got a delivery. New stuff for the already too-tall build pile. New Years Resolution: Buy only tools and consumables until the build pile is depleted.

20171222_190950.jpg

I also repacked all my motors in gasketted boxes, with desiccant sachets. It is going to be a wet winter here.

Built my Black Friday Rapton. I love this kit. More Madcow thin wall fiberglass in my future. I need a 29mm motor retainer that won't stick way out and interfere with the 38mm body.

1222172126.jpg

1222172126a.jpg

Last edited:
IMG_20171223_010544.jpgIMG_20171223_010549.jpg
hmm, this is what I worked on last night, now that I figured out how to get the photos to attach.
This is a pair of timers, on a single battery and switch, for the 4 motor airstart. Used the screw posts to hook the igniter to, with the permanent wires inside the airframe. I have some thumb screw nuts coming to hold the wires on. The bay is between 2 fins, with a door access point. This is the layout, I'll post more photos once I get the fins installed, hopefully next week.

Last edited:
Cleaned the rocket lab and tripled the lighting mucho better. Our local Costco had 4' LED shoplights for $19.99 so I picked up 4 more for the garage/woodshop/rocket lab (no car could ever fit in currently. The additional lighting brought the shop light total to 9, three flourescents ( until I can retro with LEDs) and six LED shoplights.

Last edited:
Yesterday actually... Received an order from eRockets.
Found out I ordered the wrong parts for the upscale Bandit. Then after that let down, I spent 20 minutes looking for the Estes 29mm retainers that I just took out of the box. Finally, looked at the invoice....I never ordered them. Just not my day.

Used a set of car ramps, aluminum foil, large yard trash bag and a small electric heater to make a paint hot box so I could finally finish painting the Sunward "Box Racer" I've had on the work bench for awhile. Even though it's only in the low teens outside, the paint came out pretty good. Then made a quick run to O'Reilly's to get some 3/8' wide black pin stripping to finish it up. Now just need to finish Estes V2 waiting for finish filling/sanding and paint.

Latest posts

Back