What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Started on an Alpha for my club's Alpha anniversary special launch in September. Will go for a stock scheme and focus on build and finish quality.

20170806_102925.jpg

Lots of sanding, priming, and painting of parts in various stages for my big Solar Warrior, but I did get to finish my Estes Zinger clone from Cabernut's plans. This little sumbitch looks like it's really going to scoot.

Attachments

• 20170807_151148.jpg
    20170807_151148.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 22
Too much to list this weekend but the major accomplishment was getting the tip-to-tip CF laid on my 3" MD (Psycho Killer). Working hard to get this ready in time for Airfest, odds are 100% it will be finished.

20170801_142728.jpg

Last edited:
ordered an altimeter, some 3.9" centering rings, and after taking a long hard look at the 4" electronics bay that I got 2nd hand a new avionics bay kit(decided the used one needed more work to recondition than a new one).
Rex

Too much to list this weekend but the major accomplishment was getting the tip-to-tip CF laid on my 3" MD (Psycho Killer). Working hard to get this ready in time for Airfest, odds are 100% it will be finished.

giphy.gif

I finally got my large format plotter networked with my PC and up and running
It is a HP Designjet 5500PS 42 inch with UV ink. It can handle paper rolls 42 " wide by 150 feet long
When I get comfortable with using the plotter I will print a photo 4 feet long by 3 feet wide of a Black Brant
2 with the checker board roll pattern to hang on the wall in my hobby room :)

Bobby

new print.jpg

Ausrocketry called me today to tell me my JLCR is in the mail and will be here tomorrow.

So is my frisket film, so it looks like I should be able to make some more progress on my BT60 LPR 2 stage...

Also finished stage one primary construction on my Odd'l breakaway BT60 upscale... ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1502282752.298068.jpg

Painted a section of my LOC Graduator, and the spirals filled, and sanded them out. Getting ready for some fin fillets. :)

IMG_3011.jpgIMG_3012.jpgIMG_3013.jpgIMG_3014.jpgIMG_3015.jpg

I also received an order from Squirrel Works, Thanks Don!! :)

Thanks,

Fired up my Hobart MIG today, and welded some eye bolts. These are just regular steel. Next, I will change wire and tackle my stainless steel eyebolts. The one in upper left corner is how I bought them, and the remainder are my haphazard welds. Found if I bumped up the CO2/Argon a bit, they came out somewhat acceptable. I'm going to test a couple under loads both static and dynamic to see what happens.
002 (Large).jpg

Also, ordered some eclipse glasses for the 21st, and a pair of 8x Lunt solar binoculars for whenever...kids were all kinds of excited.

If the weather forecast for the Kansas City is good on the 21st we are going to make the drive. Otherwise, we'll live with 80% totality here.

That is space-ish, so I'll call it rocketry related.

For my first rocket activity this year, I built an Art Applewhite 18mm Ring of Fire. Glue is drying now.

DSCN2217.jpg

Not rockets, but also ordered Eclipse glasses planning a big day for that.

Purdy launch prep a few smalls

Airfest prepping continues too slowly
- Ultimate QCC, raised both Alt main charge altitude to 1200 & 1000. Also prepping my 4" MAC Performance QCC upscale.

Ordered some items to complete the Punisher

Painted my Estes QCC Explorer

Finally set aside the 3" 2 stage that I have been obsessing over for the last two weeks and started prepping some of the other rockets I'm taking to Airfest.
First up was my Blackstar Jr., which just needed the avbay prepped and a motor built. Checked batteries and all the connections to the RRC-3 and SLCF, then added ematches to the terminal blocks on both ends. Cycled the alt's and got good volts and 3 beeps on both. Re-installed the avbay and prepped the main chute. Attached quick links to both ends. Built an AT I366 and stuffed it in the pipe. Updated my flight log and it's one down and seven to go!
I'm taking 8 rockets, three of which will have EX motors, the I366 is the smallest commercial load. On the other end of the spectrum is "Redline":
001_4.jpg

Flying it on an AT N2000, it will probably hit 13,500 ft. There are a couple of motors I would like to fly in this rocket, but the N2000 was a smokin' deal, so that's what I'm using for this flight. I popped the N/C off and found that the Eggfinder had been removed, and my rule is that anything that's flying over 10,000 ft. will fly with an Eggfinder, so I'm warming up my soldering iron now.
Three weeks to get ready for this most excellent launch, with plenty of time for little projects like this....
I need to roust Sharon out of the office, she's under the gun trying to get work off her desk. Seven days out of the office puts her in high gear so we can leave with no issues with the business. She has seven rockets that she wants to fly, several left over from our last launch in Alamogordo, which are already prepped.

Worked on a few downscales of one of my favorite designs...

From left to right : BT-70 upscale, BT-55 original size, BT-50 downscale, BT-20 downscale, BT-5 downscale. I have a nosecone for a 4" upscale too...ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1502495903.862889.jpg

Chris

Worked on a few downscales of one of my favorite designs...

From left to right : BT-70 upscale, BT-55 original size, BT-50 downscale, BT-20 downscale, BT-5 downscale. I have a nosecone for a 4" upscale too...View attachment 325569

Chris

Chris? My BT20/BT5 tends to cone. And tips?

And here's my project of the day. Fins to replace the ones missing from the kit.
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1502496417.289185.jpg

I did a little filing of the fin slots followed by a dry fit of all the parts for my new Madcow Mouse 38. Looks like it'll be a fun mid-power rocket to add to the collection!

View attachment 324786

Did you fly this yet? I built / flew mine. Very unstable flight. The balance seemed fine, guessing the fins were too small. Let mw know how yours does. I think I used an AT F44 Economax SU motor.

Did you fly this yet? I built / flew mine. Very unstable flight. The balance seemed fine, guessing the fins were too small. Let mw know how yours does. I think I used an AT F44 Economax SU motor.

Did you add any nose weight? I've heard it needs a bunch to be stable. I'll have to check to see how much I added (haven't flown it yet)

Chris

Finished the Big Daddy, added decals today. Painted a PML Patriot (1/4 scale) decals tomorrow

Did you add any nose weight? I've heard it needs a bunch to be stable. I'll have to check to see how much I added (haven't flown it yet)

Chris

It looked like it should be stable, but thinking it needed the weight after that flight.

Finally did something rocket related after resting from business and personal travel for a month.

Primered the QCC and put on a black base coat for gold highlights on a Mammoth. It shall be called GoldenRod

IMG_20170812_154046016.jpg

Back